PDA

View Full Version : anybody else have this happen? (busted fuel gauge)

hamlet9634
07-03-2004, 07:05 PM
so i'm at the autcross a few weeks ago, and some dude gets into my car and says "holy shit man you have NO GAS!". And I'm thinking, wait a minute, I had 1/2 tank just 2 runs ago, and i KNOW i don't use that much gas on just a couple autocross runs. So I look.. and YEAH.. NO GAS.. needle is below zero.. light is on.. i'm scared now.. so i drive real slow out of the lot and to the nearest gas station and fill it up.. and guess what.. only took 7 gallons.. and the needle never moved and my gas light is STILL on!?!?!?

so i've been driving around the past few weeks making sure to get gas every time my odometer reads 150 (not taking chances and actually going anywhere near an empty tank).. but i haven't had time to go to the dealer.. and since my CEL light is on from screwy electronics from my turbo, i'm afraid the dealer is just gonna try to void the warranty anyway..

anyone else have a busted fuel gauge?

kenscivic
07-03-2004, 07:58 PM
well a while back ago there was a post about shell gas scerwing up the gas gauge , do you use shell gas?

siver-SI
07-03-2004, 08:09 PM
When I was at the drap strip I did about 5 runs and I ran though 3/8th of a tank my gauge said. Well I filled up that next day and found out that I did not go through that amount at all. From what I can guess are ECU will manage the gauge by your driving. Just wondering have your tried to reset the ECU with your problem? Just thinking incase there is something with the ECU readings with the turbo upgrade maybe you just need a reset?

RMC22
07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
The ECU does do that. Plus, maybe all the side to side movement made it think that there was even less fuel in there.

Slide
07-03-2004, 08:59 PM
I get some really weird gas mileage and readings too.

One tank will get me about 300 miles, another gets me damn near 400.

Somtimes the light comes on and I stop for gas and ive got like 3 gallons left....its weird

DownTheHatch
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Yea the gas meter is really squirelly when you accellerate hard, and it takes a long time for it to go back up to normal, you cant trust it. Best thing to do is look at your trip meter and judge from that, usually when I approach 250 I fill up. :)

hamlet9634
07-03-2004, 10:56 PM
i HAVE reset my ECU a couple times, actually. I don't think the ECU has anything to do with your gas readings, though. There's a float in the tank, and i think i may have broken it. It's been going on a month now that I've been reading less than zero gas with the light on, several fill ups with different kinds of gas (mostly amoco 93).

I hope the emanage didn't screw this up, because i had just upgraded to the new turbo program the same day (the new program that is set up for an intercooler which i don't have so i'm detonating after warm-up if i lean into boost in 4th or 5th gear.. intercooler ordered)

will have to go to the dealer AFTER the IC is installed and the check engine light is off.. lol

freidaddy
07-04-2004, 12:30 AM
well a while back ago there was a post about shell gas scerwing up the gas gauge , do you use shell gas?

never heard that, but could be a possibility.

freidaddy
07-04-2004, 12:31 AM

never heard that, but could be a possibility.(sorry if my spelling is wrong) :D

NemesisITR
07-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Its just the sensor in your full tank that is getting all screwed up. Just look at your trip meter and judge off that. Make sure you subtract a couple miles for the autocross. This happend to me a couple of times on the road course because of all the g's I was pulling. If you throw your car really hard you probably will end up throwing a check engine light and not being able to go past 4k on the A3 cause of oil pressure loss. If you have an A2 you will not be able to engage VTEC.

Invest in a tighter suspension and baffled oil pan to help fix these probs.

justifiedSi
07-04-2004, 06:33 PM
my gas gauge is always acting weird.. i'll fill and it will show no gas.. after i drive a few miles it is back to normal.