PDA

View Full Version : Full Coilover System Questions/Survey

ToingToing
07-04-2004, 02:42 AM
To those who have full coilover system on their car, please give your inputs on these questions.

Base on your personal preference/experience:
1. What brand and what model is your full coilover system?
2. Why did you buy it and not the other brand/model?
3. Where did you buy it? How much?
4. What do you like best (in performance-wise) about your full coilover system?
5. What do you dislike (in performance-wise) about your full coilover system?
6. Would you highly recommend your full coilover system to others?
7. If you could get another full coilover system for your car again, what brand/model would you get? Why?

Your inputs would be much appreciated. Thanks.

nmysiismyn
07-04-2004, 05:04 AM
I don't have a full coil-over system, but I like your style. Straight up. I'd like to know the answers too

andy
07-04-2004, 07:13 AM

Tein SS (for EM2, adapted to fit Si).

Bought it used and got a great deal on it, so I went with that instead of KW's or Mugen. ~$600.

Best - height and dampen adjustable. Really improves handling. Worst - had some minor install problems (mostly my fault) - had to reinstall the fronts after the initial install. Otherwise, they are great.

7. If you could get another full coilover system for your car again, what brand/model would you get? Why?

I'd recommend them, sure. If I had to get another set, I might just go for Mugen - OEM ride quality and no need to adjust. Either that or a level higher (i.e. JIC's, Tein Flex, etc), but that would mean more $$$.

hope that helps...

bioevolve
07-04-2004, 08:32 AM
1. D2 for the EP3, with customized spring rates 6K front/13K rear.
2. Low cost and avaiable at the time.
3. www.urbanimport.com $775 shipped in a group buy (ask for Mike)
4. Stiff set up for drag strip.
5. My setup is not street/daily driver friendly hehehe.
6. Yes.
7. I wouldn't, cost of other systems are way to much. I don't think full coil overs should be over $800, only those with electronic controls I can see paying over $800.

chet
07-04-2004, 09:24 AM
To those who have full coilover system on their car, please give your inputs on these questions.

Your inputs would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1) I purchased the KW Suspensions V2's
2) KW was one of the first companies to come out with a full coilover for the EP. . .They are stainless steel!! I live in Indiana and with salt/sand/chems in the winter, might as well go stainless. They were also a bit less expensive with the groupbuy.
3) Purchased here from Glen at KW suspensions. I don't think he frequents this site much, but he is easy to reach.
4) I guess the best thing is the fact that I can adjust ride height and dampening.
5) It rides just a bit springy for my lower back depending on the surface. Its not all the time, only in certain areas. I've sprung out of the seat and smacked my head a couple times. Also I have a slight squeak in the front right, but it could be the camber kit.
6) I would recommend them to others. I think they are awesome, the price was decent, they're great for auto-x, especially if you don't want your coilovers to rust out in the winter time, pick 'em up.
7) If I started over, I'd probably get the Mugen set. The only bad things I hear of w/the Mugens is they're not adjustable, and some have already seen some rusting.

EvilSlvRCiViC
07-04-2004, 09:52 AM

1-tein basic damper
2-good rep, well known, used not only in racing vehicle but also luxary vehicles(giving it good rep)
3-Showstoppers 880 shipped.
4-slams the car and doesnt let me bottom out for nothing, smooth stock ride feel, the faster i go the better it holds to bumps ,sharp turns etc...
5-when moving slow and hit a bump kinda lets the car go down letting me scrap(pulling out of drive way, very rare thoguh)
6-hell yea a lil pricey but worth the money.
7-id just stay with the basics or get a better version of the teins/ but i might try progress, but from word of mouth they are really stiff.

ToingToing
07-04-2004, 01:51 PM
thanks for all your inputs. keep them coming!!! :) and oh, happy firecrackers day to ya'll. thanks.

Chazwick05
07-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Out of the three coil over systems, which would you choose and why that one over the others? 1:Mugen 2:Tein 3:Skunk2. I'm looking to find which are the most cost-effective that also offer a great product in quality. Thanks! Btw, this is my first post (just signed up tonight) althrough I've been doing my research since I got my ep3 last year and i've been on this site for a good month now haha. :)

ToingToing
07-05-2004, 02:15 AM
i know alotta peeps here have a full coilover set up on their car.. so are there any more inputs? thanks

blackdc5
07-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Here's one that might be different from the rest: ;)

i know alotta peeps here have a full coilover set up on their car.. so are there any more inputs? thanks

1. TEIN SS. I got it for a good price, TEIN is well known, they have offices within an hour from me (avail for parts or service). The spring rates 8/10 are decent. These are PERFECT for the street...any public road these are probably the best setup. Wonder why I can say this? I wanted something stiffer, so without having to revalve the shocks and get stiffer springs, I swapped them out...

2. for JIC FLT-A2s w/ 9/10 spring rates. I would have wanted to increase the rear rates also, but this is what they gave me. I got it mainly because it's a decent street/track coilover, w/....damper length adjustability feature! I needed this feat. since I lower my car pretty low. (W/ the TEIN SS, I was losing a small amt of stroke w/ my desired height). They stiffened things up a little bit, but I still kinda wanted it stiffer. One thing I DID NOT like about this, was the front drop is limited to 1 5/8". Instead of having to swap out springs (and paying at least $50/spring) I got the opportunity to trade w/ someone....

3. for Buddy Club RSDs w/ 10/16 spring rates. The original owner did not know how to setup the rear springs and thus they were preloaded at least 1" (preloading 16kg/mm = 896lbs/in...that means the spring needed a force of 896lbs to be applied to the spring to counteract the preload, before it would begin to compress). Thus, it gave him a harsh ride and he wanted something more comfortable. (in the end, he still wanted something softer than the JIC FLT A2s). These can get stiff, but overall I like them best. When they ARE stiff though, it can get annoying. These are moreso a track-oriented setup than the previous two I've used. The spring rates should give that away. As a result, the spring rates cause the car to bounce excessively on mountain roads (where I've done most of the testing so far) but they would handle beautifully on the track (I can't wait).

Overall if I were to do it again, I would just stay satisfied w/ the TEIN SS. Again, they are PERFECT for the streets. Though they weren't as stiff as I would like, you don't want too stiff of a setup for a street car. The BCs are too stiff for the streets, so it may not be as controllable on bumpy/imperfect surfaces. Also, you must remember, the stiffer suspension you have, the more it makes your tires work! That means, your tires may overheat quicker at the track, among other things. For a daily driven car, there's no need for anything super aggressive, plus I doubt many of you would want to ride in my car everyday. I prefer the stiff ride though. I rode down from NorCal to SoCal in my cousin's 03 CL-S on stock suspension...I could NOT stand it.

Anyway, sorry it was so long, I hope this helps out others on choosing a damper system.

ToingToing
07-05-2004, 09:02 PM
thanx dc5.. that was a very nice 411 you put up.. so is there anybody else who would like to share their inputs?..