PDA

View Full Version : How many layers of "icing" on the ep

Chinaboy
07-04-2004, 11:47 AM
well... I was thinking since now alot of products are begining to see the usefulness of synth polymers in their waxes and products... the real question is how should be use these products and to be able to layer the ep for a solid protection against the elements and keeping it look like the first day that you bought your car.

For my cars at home, I layer my products in this manner

basecoat: Klasse ALL in one
firstcoat: Klasse acrylic sealant
secondcoat: Meguairs GoldClass wax
thirdcoat: Meguairs NXT wax

Ok my reasoning for this is because.... Klasse ALL in one can start as a basecoat after the polishing with PS product.. (as in my detailing guide) It is a good proctectant against the elements. Then to back it up apply a coat of Klasses acrylic sealent to add stability. Now... because klasse only gives a mirror look... there is no shine or "wet look" So to gloss up the car and to give it a fresh look, I use GoldClass wax to bring out the depth in the paint and give the paint a wet look. Lastly, I apply a last coat of NXT because... I have "acyrilic" protection underneath... and now I add a top coat of polymer binding agent to seal in and shrink the acyrilic and prolonging the Goldclass by binding... think of a coat on top of a coat... you will feel much hotter and more pushed in. Not to mention that NXT will boost the richness and depth of the paint.

I think the pros of this process is to create a good protection to the paint as well as sealing it in with a great look. And there is no wax build up because of the products each really have their own chemicals, and there are only really TWO coats of wax... to me NXT is not really a FULL wax, it is more of a polymer coat... BTW NXT last a LONG time on a car... even with DAWN or wax cleaning agent soap will not take out NXT with two washes... so we know it is effective.

Cons are time... it will take a long time to do the sealing process after polishing a car... atleast four hours time to do it right and not to rush it.

So what do you guys think? I mean you can even have zaino on the bottom and build up. Its interesting to think of the chemcial bonding on every coat that we put on.

Karim
07-05-2004, 03:02 AM
A note about the NXT. Quite a few people on Autopia forums have found that NXT actually has very very light cleaners in it. Which makes it useless for layering or not a good top coat as it takes off a bit of whatever is under it. The topic has been beaten to death on that forum but there is still some conflicting opinions on weather is can be used as a top coat. Here is one of the many posts about it http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40488

I also don't know about putting a synthetic as a final coat. As I've always been taught synthetics (klasse and zaino) need a clean surface with no surface oils to bond to the paint. As I'm told this is one reason NXT also has light cleaners. It helps remove anything under it and give the polymer a clean surface to bond to. So I don't think you can really use a synthetic on top to bind everything together. I've heard of a very rare occasions where people put Zaino Z2 on top of a wax and had good results but not many. It gives a good intial shine but the Zaino on top doesn't last nearly as long as Zaino does when it's a base coat when there is nothing under it besides clean paint to bond to.

The AIO also has light cleaners but thats fine since your using it as a base coat. I'm assuming the 2nd Klasse product your talking about is Klasse SG which is great on top of AIO and provides awesome protection that last quite a while. The AIO with the SG on top will provide wonderful protection for you paint and a some depth but on top of that I would put a good carnauba wax (P21s/S100 or Meguiars #16) This will give you paint the extra depth and pop (shine) your looking for.

Using carnauba as a topper for the synthetic (Klasse or Zaino) works great (does amazing things for dark colors especially) I personally go the Zaino with P21S/S100 combo. The zaino provides great protection to my paint and looks nice and the carnauba adds extra depth and really brings out the wet look. The P21S lasts about a month and once it wears off I have the Zaino protection to keep my paint protected. The Zaino itself last a few monthes. So about once a month I wash my car and reapply the P21S and every 3-4 monthes I strip anyhting thats on the car off and redo the Zaino and the P21S. The zaino could probably go longer but I liek to do a full strip at the change of each season just for good measure.

One thing I'm curious of is how long does NXT usually last for you? For me after 3 weeks a little bit of shine is still there but it doesn't feel in the least bit that the paint is protected and water doesn't bead at all on it. The BMW guys on roadfly basically found the same results except in as little as 2 weeks :sadm: Here is their test http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/5256389-1.html

Karim

Civilian
07-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Karim, what do you use to strip the old products off?

Karim
07-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Usually a good old wash with Dawn dishsoap. I also clay and polish once a yr to keep the paint swirl free and looking purdy :D

Karim

phlegyas
07-15-2004, 11:37 AM
just wondering.. do you apply your products by hand, or with a PC? i cant afford a nice PC right now so im forced to do it by hand and it seems to take forever!

Karim
07-15-2004, 06:01 PM
just wondering.. do you apply your products by hand, or with a PC? i cant afford a nice PC right now so im forced to do it by hand and it seems to take forever!

I do everyhting by hand. My once a yr polish used to be done by hand also but that got very tedious. For that either I'll borrow a friends PC or enlist a local detailing buddy to do it. For only needing it once a yr I can't justify spending that much on a PC. Sure the results are great and it is faster but 150 bucks is money I'd rather put towards another open track day or a set of track pads. Don't get me worng I enjoy my car looking pretty but I get more enjoyment by being able to drive the hell out of it :D

Karim