PDA

View Full Version : busted wheel stud

toda_power
07-04-2004, 07:16 PM
do u guys happen to know if the dealer will cover my busted wheel stud? i busted one of the studs last night when i was rotating my tires. i know for sure the lug nuts are not stripped...now i cant take the rear right wheel off! what a bitch! kyokugen lugs suck balls!

dankdogg
07-04-2004, 08:53 PM
how many miles on the car? i know my car has full factory warannty untill 36000 miles.

if you have a warranty i think the dealer will def. replace it.

mrfixit687
07-04-2004, 09:02 PM
did you strip the stud, or broke it off? and dont blame kyokugen lugs for your mistake. and the dealer probably would not cover it under warranty because the stud did not fail because of manufacturing defects

toda_power
07-04-2004, 09:29 PM
how many miles on the car? i know my car has full factory warannty untill 36000 miles.

if you have a warranty i think the dealer will def. replace it.

the car has 16,000 miles and has a 60,000 miles warranty.

toda_power
07-04-2004, 09:32 PM
did you strip the stud, or broke it off? and dont blame kyokugen lugs for your mistake. and the dealer probably would not cover it under warranty because the stud did not fail because of manufacturing defects

yes i was taking the lug nut off with the lock key and the wheel stud just snapped and broke off..now the wheels are stuck on there. i went to honda-tech to search around for STRIPPED LUG NUTS and 90% of them were kyokugens lugs...lesson learned is to buy spoon or rays lugs.

BarracksSi
07-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Heh -- and I just fiddled with my Kyokugen lugs.

They're only supposed to be torqued to 65-85 ft-lbs. What were you using on them?

toda_power
07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Heh -- and I just fiddled with my Kyokugen lugs.

They're only supposed to be torqued to 65-85 ft-lbs. What were you using on them?

i was using one of my crossbar for the lug nuts. i dropped it off at the dealership today to see if they will cover it under warr and the tech said that they have to look at it first..one of the mechanics looked at it and said that i prolly didnt put it on correctly, im like, dude i hand tightened my lug nuts first before i use the cross bar!!! i guess he didnt know what else to say so started giving the USUAL BS, he was like, well ur car is lowered and all. im like, omg dont tell me ur gonna start busting the usual bs on me and he was like, hey buddy, im just doing my job..then he just walked away. well im hoping they will cover it, if not then i'll just replace the studs myself which cost only 2bucks! instead of paying 100 bucks for labor!

*still waiting*

Ep3 No.2
07-05-2004, 12:15 PM
=O) good thing i got rays. but another reason for that % to be high is because a lot mre people have kyokogen lugs than rays and spoon lugs mainly due to price. atleast u have a reason to put extended ones on =O)

hope everything works out for u.

amctmg
07-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I can't believe you actually thought they would cover it under warranty. haha I guess the customer is not ALWAYS right. I can just picture the mechanics laughing at you, look at this clown, breaks his car and thinks we are gonna pay to fix it.

I've been a mechanic for 8 years so I had to rant but good luck anyway.

toda_power
07-05-2004, 12:42 PM
=O) good thing i got rays. but another reason for that % to be high is because a lot mre people have kyokogen lugs than rays and spoon lugs mainly due to price. atleast u have a reason to put extended ones on =O)

hope everything works out for u.

haha fo sho, i should've bought the spoon ones..oh well, at least i know better...spoon lugs will be my next mod. :D

toda_power
07-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I can't believe you actually thought they would cover it under warranty. haha I guess the customer is not ALWAYS right. I can just picture the mechanics laughing at you, look at this clown, breaks his car and thinks we are gonna pay to fix it.

I've been a mechanic for 8 years so I had to rant but good luck anyway.

let me break this down...i brought my car in to see if they will cover it under warr...i wasnt sure if it was my fault or whatnot and about the mechanics laughing at me. dude, i can careless. if they have something to say then say it to my face. thanks for the gluck.

toda_power
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
honda just called me and said they have to use an air chisell..now my rim will be scratch..wonderful just wonderful..who's got 1 oem rim for sale?

goy091
07-06-2004, 04:12 AM
use a tourqe wrench

Spoon lugs? get some Gorilla ones from JCWhitney, $40 and they are splined lugs, key wont strip

goy091
07-06-2004, 04:13 AM
honda just called me and said they have to use an air chisell..now my rim will be scratch..wonderful just wonderful..who's got 1 oem rim for sale?

did you use the Kyokugen lug on the stock wheel?

blueiedgod
07-06-2004, 08:09 AM
do u guys happen to know if the dealer will cover my busted wheel stud? i busted one of the studs last night when i was rotating my tires. i know for sure the lug nuts are not stripped...now i cant take the rear right wheel off! what a bitch! kyokugen lugs suck balls!

I may have the dumbest question. What is wrong with stock Honda lug nuts and Honda security lugs? I see that you are running stock rims. You may have had it covered under warranty if you were using stock Honda lugs. By the way, Honda spec for the lugs nuts if 85 lbs.xft. The techs at the dealership or tire shop almost never use the torque wrench. I always re-torque my wheels myself. Better safe than sorry. I bought a Craftsman toque wrench on sale for $54, it goes from 20 lbs.xft. to 250 lbs.xft. It has paid off for itself with years of service.

mdoyle
07-06-2004, 08:26 AM
i ... if not then i'll just replace the studs myself which cost only 2bucks! instead of paying 100 bucks for labor!
Its only going to cost you $2? Why the hell are you bitching?

toda_power
07-06-2004, 11:42 AM
I may have the dumbest question. What is wrong with stock Honda lug nuts and Honda security lugs? I see that you are running stock rims. You may have had it covered under warranty if you were using stock Honda lugs. By the way, Honda spec for the lugs nuts if 85 lbs.xft. The techs at the dealership or tire shop almost never use the torque wrench. I always re-torque my wheels myself. Better safe than sorry. I bought a Craftsman toque wrench on sale for $54, it goes from 20 lbs.xft. to 250 lbs.xft. It has paid off for itself with years of service.

no, i wasnt using honda lug nuts. i was using an aftermarket one called kyokugens. they couldnt cover under warr..because the lugs that i was using were aftermarket...

toda_power
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Its only going to cost you $2? Why the hell are you bitching?

i was going to install the studs myself if they could remove my rear right wheels, but they already charged me for labor which cost me $100 including the wheel studs.

toda_power
07-06-2004, 11:46 AM
use a tourqe wrench

Spoon lugs? get some Gorilla ones from JCWhitney, $40 and they are splined lugs, key wont strip

i actually have a set of gorilla lugs sitting in my garage.

goy091
07-06-2004, 01:36 PM
why would you use aftermarket lugs with stock wheels? i have some Kyokugen lugs also, theyre NOT ment to be used with stock wheels. the taper of the lugs and the seat on the wheels do not match. tuner lugs are like \ / where stock lugs are ( ), meaning they wont seat correctly. thats probably why you broke the stud.

mrfixit687
07-06-2004, 05:08 PM
why would you use aftermarket lugs with stock wheels? i have some Kyokugen lugs also, theyre NOT ment to be used with stock wheels. the taper of the lugs and the seat on the wheels do not match. tuner lugs are like \ / where stock lugs are ( ), meaning they wont seat correctly. thats probably why you broke the stud.

yea i agree, thats probably why, oh well lesson learned. and no one wants to steal our oem wheels =P

toda_power
07-06-2004, 07:36 PM
yeah lesson learned. the rim doesnt look too bad, i'll prolly buy 1 new oem rim for only $219 or just buy a set of 17's. is it alright to use the gorilla lug nuts?

goy091
07-06-2004, 10:26 PM
well i have both the Gorilla and Kyokugen lugs. the Gorillas i bought after i had the Kyo's for awhile and seem to be just fine. the key is much better than the Kyo's. i changed because i felt the key was becomming a little loose and didnt want to strip it and be SOL. IMO the Gorillas are fine lugs. if you want some JDM bling i guess you could get some expensive lugs, but theyre not really worth it to me so i got the Gorillas and am happy.