PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Carbotech

B18CXr
10-31-2002, 08:11 PM
I picked up a set of Panther Plus for the fronts, set of autozone rotors for front and a set of axis rear pads.

I'll have pics and a review sometime Saturday.

I've used the P+'s and Axis combo before on the EG race kar but since the EP has ABS, I'm curious as to how the rear end will brake with the harder biting fronts..? we'll see.

BTW I got the 2001 EX front pads and RSX rears............should fit, and i'll know for sure on Sat.

02blksi
10-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Your finally getting back on the track? Miss your old car huh. I know the feeling man, its worse than poking yourself in the eye;) :D .. Good luck, post some reviews when you can! thanks --joe

02blksi
10-31-2002, 09:12 PM
BTW: Im assuming you bought the Autozone rotors because of their infamous "lifetime" warranty hehehe ..:p

B18CXr
11-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Your finally getting back on the track

I'll never be completely off the track.....just that this daym ep will never be the kar the hatchcrap was :(

U phucking right on the rotors, free rotors every 89 days rocks nads!!

02blksi
11-02-2002, 03:31 PM
any update on the setup and its fittement? --joe :)

B18CXr
11-03-2002, 08:27 PM
2001 and up coupe rotors and pads are the same as EP's (FYI)

also rear pads are the same as RSX

car stops 400% better now, after taking her out to set the pads in (glowing orange rotors are cool, BTW) the dust all down the side and in the door jams......MMmmmmmmmmmm JOY!!!

i'll keep the board posted on the cross applications with regards to speedbleeder part numbers. (i'll be taking the OEM fluid out very soon, that stuff is crap anyway)

stay tuned

02blksi
11-03-2002, 09:09 PM
what is the cost for the P+'s?
where can i get them.

thanks. --joe

B18CXr
11-04-2002, 07:20 AM
http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm

ask for Larry or Matt

tell'um Jack sent you.

chunky
11-04-2002, 01:17 PM
I can also verify that the 7th gen civic coupe & our si's share the same front brake pads & rotors.

I myself ordered a pair of porterfield r4s pads for 89.99.

Rear pads will be coming shortly, porterfield r4s as well, 79.99

nikkotyper
11-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I can also verify that the 7th gen civic coupe & our si's share the same front brake pads & rotors.

I myself ordered a pair of porterfield r4s pads for 89.99.

Rear pads will be coming shortly, porterfield r4s as well, 79.99

Where did you order them from?

chunky
11-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper

Where did you order them from?

www.porterfield-brakes.com

or you can just call them, I spoke to wendy, really nice lady - 949 548 4470

the front pads are the porterfield r4-s (the carbon kevlar street compound) part # ap 465a

you might want to inquire about the r4-1 compound, I wasn't aware of this compound at the time I ordered, but it has an even higher coefficent of friction than the r4-s, and excellent low temperature bite, making it a great auto-x pad.

the coefficent of friction is .18 higher on the r4-1 pads than on the r4-s pads (.580 avg v.s. .400 avg).

neither pad is a full race pad and is only reccomended for temps up to 1200F

They go on tomorrow, I'll make a post about them again after they go through their first auto-x on the 17th.

nikkotyper
11-07-2002, 07:19 AM
I doubt you will be able to notice much autocrossing other than better stopping distance. Fade is what I am really worried about. Nevertheless, I heard only good things about porterfield.

Keep us posted.

I am debating between porterfield r4-1 and carbotech Panther Plus. I have to order by friday since my next track day is two weeks from today (11/21/02.) although the track I am going to puts less strain on brakes than Laguna Seca. At Laguna I managed with stock pads but one session I litteraly fried them.

Thanks.

chunky
11-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by nikkotyper
I doubt you will be able to notice much autocrossing other than better stopping distance. Fade is what I am really worried about. Nevertheless, I heard only good things about porterfield.

Keep us posted.

I am debating between porterfield r4-1 and carbotech Panther Plus. I have to order by friday since my next track day is two weeks from today (11/21/02.) although the track I am going to puts less strain on brakes than Laguna Seca. At Laguna I managed with stock pads but one session I litteraly fried them.

Thanks.

i put the pads on today. there's a huge improvement in braking performance. Fade is gone. The r4-s pads are easy to modulate, and grip even when cold. I made repeated 100-80mph stops on the highway today, and each time the needle snapped backwards like someone hit it with a hammer. I also able to trip the ABS system at 1/2 pedal effort than what it took before.

Another thing I like about these pads over the stock pads is they condition the rotor better - the grooves are much much much finer than the grooves that form with the stock pads. They're almost perfectly smooth whereas with the stock pads created what I considered to be excessive grooving - not bad enough to require re-surfacing the rotors, but it's a sign of poor rotor conditioning by the pad.

I still need new rotors & SS brake lines. I've got my eyes on the brembo rotors (they have a vented hat to feed the vents in the disc) and the goodridge brake lines (lifetime warranty). brembo rotors are 160$ off of tire rack for hte slotted and 120 for the brake lines off of tire rack.

B18CXr
11-07-2002, 11:16 AM
nikkotyper-

I have tried most all the pads out there in my days and the comparo between R4 and Panther+'s is a no brainer.

the r4 dust is extremely corrosive and will kill your wheels and calipers. the Carbotech XP's (1108) compound is tops and is non-corrosive, very much like a Hawk Blue but is semi streetable. The next step down (panter plus) is 95% steetable and is not corrosive. R4 are good but panther +'s are better in almost everyway.

BTW: I do not work, nor get a kick back from Carbotech, just passing along information that i have obtained from years of experience.

B18CXr
11-07-2002, 11:18 AM
chunky-

autozone $21.99 rotors are just as good as the brembo's plus they have a 3month, unlimited warranty, (I.E. swap them every 89 days for free)

I raced all this year on a set from Autozone, performed flawlessly.

lots of the racers in the ECHC do this with perfect results.

very cheap.

chunky
11-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by B18CXr
nikkotyper-

I have tried most all the pads out there in my days and the comparo between R4 and Panther+'s is a no brainer.

the r4 dust is extremely corrosive and will kill your wheels and calipers. the Carbotech XP's (1108) compound is tops and is non-corrosive, very much like a Hawk Blue but is semi streetable. The next step down (panter plus) is 95% steetable and is not corrosive. R4 are good but panther +'s are better in almost everyway.

BTW: I do not work, nor get a kick back from Carbotech, just passing along information that i have obtained from years of experience.

i opted out of the carbotech pads b/c of the cost - the porterfield will work well enough for me (till i get grippier tires) and I can get front & rear for about 60$ less total. I may try them though once i get better tires & rotors.

but to say that the dust from porterfield pads is corrosive is just wrong - it's true that it's a dark colored dust but it will not corrode your wheels & calipers. In my experience, any aggresive pad will give off dust, and lots of it when used as intended. Since the best pads all have a high carbon content, the dust is usually dark black. Not much you can do about that.

DocofMind
11-07-2002, 01:46 PM
chunky-

autozone $21.99 rotors are just as good as the brembo's plus they have a 3month, unlimited warranty, (I.E. swap them every 89 days for free)

I raced all this year on a set from Autozone, performed flawlessly.

lots of the racers in the ECHC do this with perfect results.

very cheap.

Please please spread the word. By my account, if you guys keep this up, autozone will be out of business very soon :D

You here about the autozone employees that got shot and killed the oher day for not accepting a return?

BTW, please dont compare autozone rotors to brembo rotors. It is more than obvious that the chinese rotors from autozone do not contain the amount of carbon the italian rotors do. They are softer, and dont dissipate heat as well.

B18CXr
11-07-2002, 02:16 PM
R4S pads are NOT corrosive
R4 pads ARE corrosive

If you wish to spend the X4 price for the brem's, go right ahead. Just informing people that it's the best for the money. Plus cross drilled is a total waste of surface area also.

chunky
11-07-2002, 09:01 PM
R4S pads are NOT corrosive
R4 pads ARE corrosive

If you wish to spend the X4 price for the brem's, go right ahead. Just informing people that it's the best for the money. Plus cross drilled is a total waste of surface area also.

there's more to the brembos than meets the eyes.

1) i'm not getting the crossdrilled or dimpled rotors, just the plain jane directionally slotted ones.

2) the brembo rotors have holes in the sides of the rotor hat that allows air to flow outwards (centripital force) and feed cooler air into the vents that pass between the two friction surfaces of a vented rotor. THAT makes them worth it.

R4 pads aren't corrosive to my knowledge either. In fact, no brake pad gives off dust that is corrosive. Considering that they are almost all designed to work with metal rotors, it would be a horrible safety concern if they were corrosive as you wouldn't even make it through a single lap (high temps + corrosives = very rapid destruction of metals).

if you mean that they wear out rotors quickly - that is correct, but that's not the same as being corrosive. And even then, the r4 full race pads are kinder to rotors than other race pads- not to mention they have a broader temperature range - the r4s pads work well cold and to beyond 1000 degrees F. The r4 pads must be 450 deg or hotter, but remain effective beyond 1200 degrees F.

B18CXr
11-08-2002, 07:00 AM
In fact, no brake pad gives off dust that is corrosive

well then, you have a lot to learn.

I'm done.

:beer:

nikkotyper
11-08-2002, 08:24 AM
I never used Porterfield products.
I used several Panther Plus pads on my previous car and they generate a lot of brake dust. I also had Brembo rotors. I never experienced fade with brembos, P+ pads and stainless steel lines (VW GTI - yeah, I had to order custom made pads because they did not make P+ at that time...) The car stopped like crazy althought VW are generally overbraked from the factory. Anyways, my friend had a Willwood kit and neither him nor I could notice any difference in the braking characteristics of our cars.
Thus, Brembos + Panther Plus pads + SS lines combo should do well in a lighter EP3.

nikkotyper
11-13-2002, 01:39 PM
I just ordered the same combo as Jack: Carbotechs
Front: CT465
Rear: CT537

B18CXr
11-13-2002, 05:27 PM
cool, be sure to seat them properly

nikkotyper
11-13-2002, 05:50 PM
cool, be sure to seat them properly

How long did it take you to install them?
Also, any tips you want to give away before I waste 3 hours. . .

I could do the fronts on my old GTI in less than an hour. I am hopeful it will not take me more than 1.5-2 hours to do it.

Also, about the rotors... what makes you think they are better than stock? I do not know the autozone specs - I guess the specs will answer that question.

Thanks.

B18CXr
11-13-2002, 07:57 PM
no,no i didn't purchase the rotors to have better ones, the OEM units are tops.

I purchased new rotors because the kar will see lots of track use and i will swap out the autozone ones when they begin to crack due to heat. 3month warranty on those puppies.

Plus i'm a firm believer in keeping the pad and rotor surfaces together (i.e. one set of pads per rotor) i kept the stock pads and rotors together so that i can use them in the off season. also i'd rather replace a warped autozone unit than a OEM piece.

If your not doing rotors, the job will be an easy 45mins F&R.

nikkotyper
11-13-2002, 08:08 PM
Thanks Jack.

B18CXr
11-14-2002, 07:50 AM
You

DocofMind
11-14-2002, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B18CXr
[B]You

nikkotyper
11-17-2002, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B18CXr
[B]You

B18CXr
11-17-2002, 08:32 PM
yep, they squeak and squeal

nikkotyper
11-17-2002, 09:11 PM
But they brake like crazy. . . I will have a real test for them on Thursday - 4-5 hours of track time @ Thunderhill (although TH is not that hard on the brakes, the sheer volume of laps I will be doing will be...)

Jack, let me know of your track experience with these brakes.

Later,
-- Nick

B18CXr
11-22-2002, 06:01 AM
I was at Summit Point last weekend....they did fine but I will be removing the splash shields also.

little fade after 10-15mins of hot laps, taking the shields off will most likely solve this issue.

nikkotyper
11-22-2002, 11:21 AM
I was at Summit Point last weekend....they did fine but I will be removing the splash shields also.

little fade after 10-15mins of hot laps, taking the shields off will most likely solve this issue.

Yes. I took the brake dust shields and I had no fade at all - 5x25min sessions yesterday @ Thunderhill (they setup chicanes at two fastest corners to slow us down so there was more braking than usual.)
The brakes did really well.