PDA

View Full Version : Camber kit?

Goose487
07-06-2004, 09:45 AM
As you can tell im pretty much a noob to modding, sooo wtih that, what exactly does a camber kit do, and do I need one if im just riding on stock shocks with sport springs?

BlasTech
07-06-2004, 12:11 PM
As you can tell im pretty much a noob to modding, sooo wtih that, what exactly does a camber kit do, and do I need one if im just riding on stock shocks with sport springs?

In a nutshell, if you are looking at your wheels from the front or back,
they will look like this |-----| if you have 0 camber,
they will look like this /-----\ if you have negative camber,
they will look like this \-----/ if you have positive camber.

When you drop the car, the rears will go negative. A camber kit will allow you to correct this.

If you get into autocross or track days it doesnt take long to realize the outsides of your tires start wearing down about a year ahead of the rest of the tires, and negative camber will fix this. Having some negative camber up front will help with cornering grip anyways.

Though extreme negative camber of -3 degrees or more can accellerate the inner wear of your tires somewhat, having toe in or out in combination with camber is what really makes your tires wear down fast. You should be able to go with -1 or -1.5 up front and not have any effect on the wear as long as you have your toe set at zero.

There are no benefits to having positive camber, in fact, its probably dangerous.

An important thing to note: you cannot change any one attribute (height, toe, camber) without affecting one or both of the other two.

k20whiteboi269
07-06-2004, 12:15 PM
well said :)

Goose487
07-06-2004, 08:21 PM
alright that was very helpful thank you lol

seattlecivic
07-06-2004, 09:30 PM
awesome thread.. this biatch should be... thumb tacked!!

blaketion
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Very useful information. I am going to install my Neuspeed Race Springs (2" drop) as soon as I get my Camber Kit. Relative to the camber kit installation: Many articles said to set the rear adjustment arm to about the same length as the OEM and adjust from there. I am lost as to how adjusting the new bolt in the front works. [any basic info/tips?] I'm going to get it set up, and if I dont notice any major problems, I'll drive on them very lightly for about a day or two to get the springs settled in, then take it to a shop to get it aligned. [Does anyone advise against this?] Will they be able to adjust everything I need to get it back to factory alignment specs? How much should I be paying for this task? :confused:

Guanobucks
07-08-2004, 05:36 AM
I had my 2002 EP re-aligned yesterday. It was out of alignment big time, which has nothing to do with our horrible roads im sure, but when they assessed the camber, my rear settings (factory set I assume) are:

Camber - 2.04 -1.08
Toe +1/32 0
Toe Angle 0
Thrust Angle +0.04

With the OEM set-up, I cannot correct this. Has anyone else noticed this problem? I understand that the Max Camber should be +-0.75.:banana: