PDA

View Full Version : best exhaust for jrsc

KingGreg86
07-06-2004, 01:45 PM
might be getting the jrsc in nov and i was wondering what the best cat-back system would be? also planning on the jr race header.

02SilverSiHB
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm not really sure, but I wouldn't go over 2.5" not like a turbo or anything. I have a comptech midpipe with my stock muffler feels fine imo

KingGreg86
07-06-2004, 05:26 PM
i was thinking hks hi-power, or magna flow

trk
07-06-2004, 05:32 PM
I'll be running a 2.25 midpipe - no resonator - spoon axleback ... I hope it works ... small diameter but free flowing. We will see... ;)

SF-SI-02
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
trk did you get a jrsc? Can't wait to hear if you have better luck than the others at high altitude.

trk
07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
trk did you get a jrsc? Can't wait to hear if you have better luck than the others at high altitude.

Not yet.

What others? What happened? links?

JrScEP
07-07-2004, 06:12 AM
You know I was wondering the same thing. The Jackson Racing Dyno shows a JRSC w/ Jackson Race Header, and a DC cat back. Might want to call and ask them.

fsugatorbait
07-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Just because JR uses their header doesnt necessarily mean its the best one. I would imagine a RH like Comptech or DC would outperform the JRRH by a pretty good amt (5-10 whp) when tuned by k-pro.

SF-SI-02
07-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Trk, there was a guy in utah selling his jrsc setup a while back, I remember telling you in the boost forum to be careful, because at that altitude, we never got past something like 4lb of boost. Moreover, he made many a call to JR and didn't seem to get much help. In the end he used a smaller pully but it never got the boost to where it should have been, and the results (he claimed) were rather poor. Clearly as the air is thinner at high altitude it takes a lot more blowing to get the same effect... ask any cessena pilot about trying to take off from vail! I used to live in Boulder and fly and even there it can often be a challenge to take off... I would ask others in your altidue range about it... I think the person with the problems was named justin, and he sold the sc for a turbo kit. What puzzles me is that I would assume a turbo would have exactly the same difficulty... but vtecnrg's greddy no ic setup is the strongest I have ever seen and he's up in CO as well...maybe Justin had a bad unit? :confused:

trk
07-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Trk, there was a guy in utah selling his jrsc setup a while back, I remember telling you in the boost forum to be careful, because at that altitude, we never got past something like 4lb of boost. Moreover, he made many a call to JR and didn't seem to get much help. In the end he used a smaller pully but it never got the boost to where it should have been, and the results (he claimed) were rather poor. Clearly as the air is thinner at high altitude it takes a lot more blowing to get the same effect... ask any cessena pilot about trying to take off from vail! I used to live in Boulder and fly and even there it can often be a challenge to take off... I would ask others in your altidue range about it... I think the person with the problems was named justin, and he sold the sc for a turbo kit. What puzzles me is that I would assume a turbo would have exactly the same difficulty... but vtecnrg's greddy no ic setup is the strongest I have ever seen and he's up in CO as well...maybe Justin had a bad unit? :confused:

Well from my understanding a boost controller will adjust the boost as necessary (upping it to get to the value set by the manufacturer) in high elevation. The rule of thumb up here is that a turbo car loses little to no time on the 1/4 , but an N/A car loses at least 1+ seconds.

So take this theory to a SC and you have a product that the JR powercard SHOULD allow to run at its standard boost levels. This would ASSUME that the powercard is a boost controller as well as an a/f solution.

There are 13 second JRSC em1's up here....

SF-SI-02
07-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I thought the power card simply added voltage to the injector power lines when it senses boost via the vacuum hose... there really isn't a way to adjust boost on a sc short of changing the pully right? As far as getting the standard boost, you would have to spin the blades inside the sc much faster than at lower elevation which in turn would generate more heat....

JrScEP
07-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Just because JR uses their header doesnt necessarily mean its the best one. I would imagine a RH like Comptech or DC would outperform the JRRH by a pretty good amt (5-10 whp) when tuned by k-pro.
Well to my understanding the K-Pro flash is pointless in a JRSC EP until the race upgrade is released this fall with the CORRECT K-Pro reflash. And I disagree that either model of header you mentioned could out perform the Jackson's 26 HP gain. That header was made for there EP supercharger. Just my $0.02.

fsugatorbait
07-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Well to my understanding the K-Pro flash is pointless in a JRSC EP until the race upgrade is released this fall with the CORRECT K-Pro reflash. And I disagree that either model of header you mentioned could out perform the Jackson's 26 HP gain. That header was made for there EP supercharger. Just my $0.02.

How is the k-pro pointless? That is the main ingredient for the race version. Hondata's preset maps are just starting points with basic fuel maps for each application, your supposed to build your tables off of theirs to optimize performance for your car. I will guarandamntee that I get significantly better numbers than those with the JRRH with the DCRH. Its not rocket science, any schmo can see by the design that the longer primaries an initial dyno's showing significant gains over other headers on NA cars. Ill have dyno #'s to back up my statements within the month.

anjapower
07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
JrscEp..you don't know what you're talking about. JR RH sucks compared to the DC and Comptech. The preprogrammed map in the Kpro for the A3 JRSC race kit isn't usesless...all the race kit includes is higher revs and larger injectors. Get the JRSC, get Kpro, get injectors and you're all set to run the race kit. You just have to wait until they release the map for it.

At any rate, it doesn't really matter since Kpro will allow you to tune your car no matter what the setup.

K20NutBucket
07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
hey 02silver how did you get the factory muffler to fit on the comptech?? i tried that awhile back got under the car and looked, seemed to me it wouldnt fit.

trk
07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
hey 02silver how did you get the factory muffler to fit on the comptech?? i tried that awhile back got under the car and looked, seemed to me it wouldnt fit.

it doesn't bolt right up ... you have to have the flange cut off and welded back a few inches.

02SilverSiHB
07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
I just had the shop cut the comptech muffler off..just after the flange. Then welded the stock one on...so I can bolt the stock one on or off.

and as for the jrscep guy....you can use kpro flash...just buy it, then get bigger injectors, relocate the map sensor to read boost and use kpro to tune it. I'm actually going to start this soon, I can't wait any longer for hondata to hurry up with a pre tune. I decided this yesterday. This way with kpro, I can tune it for the street with 7-8lbs of boost, then maybe 11lbs of boost for the drag strip.

KingGreg86
07-08-2004, 12:42 AM
hopefully gaurdian will be out by the time i end up getting the jrsc

Import04Si
07-09-2004, 11:01 PM
hey...i just got my jrsc installed on monday and its running great! I was also planning on getting the jr headers. I dont no what type of cat back i want to go with yet either though. I was thinking comptech because i like the design and they dont sound like a weed wacker. I may just get the jr headers and keep the stock exhaust to keep it a sleeper...like it is now.

KingGreg86
07-10-2004, 12:30 AM
maybe u should get the magnaflow...stock looks, with better flow..plus its alot cheaper than all the other cat-backs

JrScEP
07-10-2004, 05:26 AM
you know, I think I'll just get the header and exhaust, and around Fall just get the race version when it comes out. I'm pretty sure the Jackson Race upgrade includes, the smaller pulley, K-Pro reflash, and bigger injectors. Anyway I do want to take care of freeing up some back pressure before uping my boost levels.