PDA

View Full Version : Removing Carbon?

TrippZ
07-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Theres a bunch of carbon all over this Magnaflow exhaust that i picke dup (thakn you david!)

How do i remove it tohugh? i tried lysol and acetone (two different extremes) but nothing seems to work really good

what do you guys reccommend?

NuG
07-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Try Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar remover. This stuff works real well and I'd be suprised if it didnt get it out. I use this stuff to polish the tips on my cars.

Black 02 SI
07-06-2004, 02:55 PM
stuff is called gunk. removes grease and shit real well, that might work. after that use some mothers aluminum cleaner. or just leave it black cause its gonna come back anyway, lol.

TrippZ
07-06-2004, 03:00 PM
well its not exactly tar or grease... its carbon build up, and this shit is piled on! i rubbed it in for a few minutes and i finally got some of the shine to show.

bobdobbs
07-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Bar Keepers Friend

http://store4.yimg.com/I/ultimatechefstore_1801_2884114

Peking
07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Moved I just use mild soap, then after washing and drying. Strange, but I use windex and dry again. Still looks like new, and blings in the sun :cool:

Karim
07-06-2004, 11:23 PM
I also bought my exhaust used and the tips were fairly gross. Clean it now while it's off the car it's so much eaiser.

First get yourself a good glass cleaner. I personally use Stoners invisible glass. Spray and let sit for a few secs. Then wipe off. It should be able to get the majority of carbon off. Then hit it with a good metal polsih/protectant (never dull, mothers, etc) or a coat of wax. It'll bling for a long time and it'll make it easier to clean later.

TrippZ
07-07-2004, 11:04 AM
no guys this stuff is caked on, from david k's opinion, its like "the car was running too rich" and all this stuff was depositied.

do you guys think tar remover would work?

TrippZ
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
ive tried:

rubbing alcohol
charcoal lighter fluid
toilet bowl cleaner
dishwashing liquid
acetone
water
rust eater
glass cleaner

nothings working yall! heeellllpppp :(

Karim
07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
If all else fails I'm told a good claybar job will work. Might consider giving that a shot. If possible take some pics. I'll keep my eye around on the autopia forums to see if anyone has found anything that works in cases like yours.

Karim

Karim
07-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Also there is some polishes and such here that you might want to look into http://properautocare.com/metalpolish.html

I'm told the S100 Polish Soap does great thing for the Harley boys and most local Harley dealers carry it.

You can also try both kinds of Wenol http://properautocare.com/y-335.html

Karim

David K.
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Elbow Grease motherfucker!!!

J/K - yeah I figured it would be tough, but it will come off eventually. Hell, you should have seen it before I cleaned it up. I can't remember who I bought that Magnaflow from.

TrippZ
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
hahaha

well i used Simple Green and scrubbed the FUCK out of the tips. worked pretty good. just gotta get the upper part of the tips and deep down in em and itll be straight.

thanks again david and everyone else who helped here :)

bobdobbs
07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Did you try Bar Keepers Friend? That shit works.

amctmg
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
very simple just some glass cleaner and some fine steel wool, it will look brand new with minimal effort

dtexan
07-08-2004, 08:15 PM
What about mothers metal polish?

anjapower
07-09-2004, 07:19 AM
you guys shouldn't have let the stuff cake on there...I regularly use Never-Dull on my exhaust and even though it gets a lot of build up, it comes right off everytime with no scrubbing.

Karim
07-09-2004, 09:17 AM
you guys shouldn't have let the stuff cake on there...I regularly use Never-Dull on my exhaust and even though it gets a lot of build up, it comes right off everytime with no scrubbing.

I'm sure Trippz will but since he bought the exhaust used (for a great price I might add, look at his post in the reviews section) he had to get rid of the intial gunk that the previous owner left on there.

I actually bought my Team Spugen cat back on my car used and had to do the same thing :)

Karim

TrippZ
07-14-2004, 03:31 PM
im probably gonna try amctmg's method with the wool becuase i need to get deep into the tips next time i clean them. i have a really hard wired brush but it doenst get too deep in there without losing accuracy (dunno how else to describe it.. maybe efficiency is a better word)

looks pretty good now ;) :D thanks everyone

siver-SI
07-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I use Mequiers Metal Polish. It works so well that even a 2 meets I have parked next to anouther EP with the stock muffler and some people thought I had a aftermarket one because of how clean and deap the tips looked.

TrippZ
07-20-2004, 02:33 PM
haha thats tight dude

update - i accidentaly ran over my bottle of simple green :( no more taking off carbon for a while

although, i am still polishing it all the time hehe