PDA

View Full Version : Suspension sound

dtexan
07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
1st off I have progress springs for about 7k miles thats all. When I go over a large bump or speed bump as soon as the car gets over my suspension makes a clunk sound on the passenger front side Im wondering what could cause this.

thanks

dtexan

@doval
07-06-2004, 08:21 PM
I have the exact problem and i wonder what it is...could be the bump stop bushing :confused:

dtexan
07-07-2004, 05:57 PM
anyone have any ideas???

Speck
07-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Hmm, odd. I have D2 Coils and I am getting the same thing.... is it maybe something left from the stock suspension that is not likeing the drop?

-=speck=-

dtexan
07-08-2004, 12:21 AM
It sounds like the car is going to fall apart when you go over a bump. I'll be in the parking garage at work and when I turn down the ramp it makes that sound. I only hear when the car is going over a bump or a quick drop

@doval
07-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Try re-torque the bottom shock nuts.....my uncle does the e/s motor mounts and he give a check to my suspension and did retorque that nuts....he found loose...believeme...very loose

Armand

dtexan
07-08-2004, 05:57 PM
cool thanks I'll check that out

vlkter
07-31-2008, 02:21 AM
did anyone figure this out?

smoody
07-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Seem to always be the passenger side :shrug:

04EP3Hatch
07-31-2008, 03:01 AM
strut mounts and sway bar end links were my problem

dogula
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
I get alot of clunks as well and have stock suspension. Ive heard alot of people mention the strut mounts so how do you know if it is time to replace them?

RedSiBaron
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
1st off I have progress springs for about 7k miles thats all. When I go over a large bump or speed bump as soon as the car gets over my suspension makes a clunk sound on the passenger front side Im wondering what could cause this.

thanks

dtexan

I had the problem on my passenger side for about 2 weeks of daily driving, then suddenly went away, i have no clue what it was, though i have suspicions...now i have the same noise on my drivers side

ive narrowed it down to 1 of 4 things

top hat bushing on the top shock mounts
-or-
swaybar endlink (mine are custom open greased sockets with a dust shield)
-or-
tie rod end
-or-
lower balljoint (i have aftermarket moog ones pressed in with a retaining clip

gehjl
07-31-2008, 11:53 AM
I also have progress springs.....and all four clunk. It's so fkin annoying. But i've had em on for about 35k miles, no problems, just the clunks.

I remember I tried emailing progress, but I had no luck. It came back as no such address.

phill
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
same problem here, loud clunking from front right only when making turns or hitting bumps, no noise when sitting still

and what kills me is ive changed my setup so much in the last couple months, it doesnt leave much to be wrong

new endlinks
new ball joints (RCA's)
new shocks (oem)
new springs (tanabe)
new tie rods (moog)

only things i can think of is im still using the same top hats, but i had a set of teins on and it still made the noise

mabye re-grease springs? (but its only when the cars moving)
mabye cv's? (no tears in the boots and only 35k on the car)
progress bar hitting the dcrh? (seems like that would leave some mark on either piece but theres nothing)

to be honest i think im going to use a chassis ear next week that my friend just got and try to pinpoint it with that

im really starting to get fed up with this sh*t

4angrybadgers
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm in the same boat... replaced my front struts (Function & Form Type I full coilovers) with a newer set (kept the original springs and "top hat" hardware) yesterday, and now both sides clunk loudly on any bump in the road. It sounds like the damn front end is about to fall apart. :mrolleyes:

Besides the struts, I replaced:
-tie rod ends (stock EP size, used for ~1000 miles before and they work fine)
-3 of the bolts that hold the knuckle and strut together (previous struts took some weird size)

I haven't figured out my issue yet.

civsirmt
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
yep same here

hope somebody will have an answer

spydur
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I would suggest that you obtain the telephone number for Progress Suspension from their website. Call and ask for their technical representative.

I've personally talked to one of the tech reps three times and exchanged a few emails during the last month while trying to decide if I was going to purchase a set of Progress springs for my EP3. My principle concern was what would happen to the front-end suspension geometry with the 1.8" drop. He and their marketing rep were very helpful and readily available. I did find that if you don't have a specific name to send an email to then a reply took more than a day.

When you discover what the problem is, please share with us what caused the noise and how you fixed it.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

phill
08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I would suggest that you obtain the telephone number for Progress Suspension from their website. Call and ask for their technical representative.

I've personally talked to one of the tech reps three times and exchanged a few emails during the last month while trying to decide if I was going to purchase a set of Progress springs for my EP3. My principle concern was what would happen to the front-end suspension geometry with the 1.8" drop. He and their marketing rep were very helpful and readily available. I did find that if you don't have a specific name to send an email to then a reply took more than a day.

When you discover what the problem is, please share with us what caused the noise and how you fixed it.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

more than half these guys didnt run progress

v1c10us
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
only thing i get is the rear is incredibly squeaky when i go over bumps, sounds like a creaky boat.

4angrybadgers
08-11-2008, 06:29 AM
I think I may have figured out my problem... the new F2 struts are drilled for M14 bolts, but it appears that the factory bolts are M16 width. :mrolleyes: If that's true, that means my M14 bolts have 2mm of play in the knuckles and that's the source of my clunking noises. Can anyone confirm the factory bolt diameter?

phill
08-11-2008, 06:34 AM
only thing i get is the rear is incredibly squeaky when i go over bumps, sounds like a creaky boat.

thats probably the bushings on your camber kit needing grease, i used to have that problem too

v1c10us
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM
well, my SPC camber kit is rusted to shit so i'll be replacing it with a Skunk2 one soon, i'll just grease them then.

as for 4 angry badgers, I donno which bolt you're talking about, if this doesnt answer it though specify and I can tell you the bolt size.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/Kelbane/suspension1.jpg
left is front right is rear
they're both 16mm bolts