PDA

View Full Version : body roll

LiLxKeNnY
07-07-2004, 08:23 AM
i dont kno if i am paranoid or something, but recently, i dink i have started to feel some body roll on my car. especially when i take right turns at higher speeds. I was wondering if it is possible that my shocks are blown. i have tein basics on wit 5k miles

EvilSlvRCiViC
07-07-2004, 08:27 AM
do you have strut bars?? just having a lowered ehile doesnt get rid of body roll

YooShin
07-07-2004, 04:47 PM
do you have strut bars?? just having a lowered ehile doesnt get rid of body roll

So, front and rear strut bars work to eliminate the roll. I'm thinking my shocks are about to go but the ride is not bouncy and remains fairly flat and firm around tight turns. I have more of a swaying lean when taking wide open turns fast. That's considered body roll right? Sorry for the noobish inquiry but I myself have been a little confused over what suspension upgrade controls this motion. I used to think a rear lower bar would do the trick until I read some recent threads and post on the subject.

Ph0nK
07-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Body roll is can be dealt with with a lot of different suspension parts. Your dampers, braces and especially anti-sway bars help with all of it. Here's a link to a great article on Grassroots Motor Sports about it all. It's kind of technical, but a good read nonetheless.
http://www.grmotorsports.com/swaybars.html

DarkSiRacer
07-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Depends on what you mean by higher speeds. Does that mean 40 in a 90 degree turn? I agree with everyone thats saying you should get bars

YooShin
07-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Depends on what you mean by higher speeds. Does that mean 40 in a 90 degree turn? I agree with everyone thats saying you should get bars

More like 50-70 mph on 30-40 degree curves, like a slalom. My cars handles great on the sharper (70, 90, etc) turns w/ little roll and great dial-in.

SoCaLep3
07-08-2004, 01:56 AM
best bang for your buck... get double xbrace and a 22 mm rear sway, your car will feel so much flater once you get either of these

LiLxKeNnY
07-08-2004, 04:20 AM
i have the x-brace ... but where i work rite now ... there is a massive speed bump ... never put on the brace yet

EvilSlvRCiViC
07-08-2004, 06:50 AM
i have the progres rear sway tiebar, with ebay upper strut bar, and nuespeed front sturt bar - the progress sway made the biggest dif. the rest in bling imo.

YooShin
07-08-2004, 10:48 AM
i have the x-brace ... but where i work rite now ... there is a massive speed bump ... never put on the brace yet
Which x-brace? I've been doing a little research and sounds like this might be what I'm looking for. The issue of ground clearance is interesting since I plan on going a little lower w/ a set of CO over my Progress Springs now. I don't really see how this hardware directly affects sway and roll especially at higher speeds. I can understand the stiffining of the chasi and flex reduction but I really don't think there is a whole lot of that going on in the EP. Anybody else?

LiLxKeNnY
07-08-2004, 10:58 AM
the double x brace holds the whole front end of your car, making it really tight and stiff. go kart feel to da max!!!

Burgh
07-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Which x-brace? I've been doing a little research and sounds like this might be what I'm looking for. The issue of ground clearance is interesting since I plan on going a little lower w/ a set of CO over my Progress Springs now. I don't really see how this hardware directly affects sway and roll especially at higher speeds. I can understand the stiffining of the chasi and flex reduction but I really don't think there is a whole lot of that going on in the EP. Anybody else?

Chassis flex is *much* less of an issue on the EP/DC than it has been on older Hondas.

IMO, the best bang-for-the-buck mod to reduce body roll is swaybars, especially the rear sway. Most FWD cars dramatically improve their handling characteristics with just a rear sway and decent tires.

eurosteez
07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
throttle steer. It depends on when your accelerating through the turn. To me, it seems our cars are more sensitive to throttle acccel/decel than most other FWD cars when taking turns. Oversteer and understeer can both be achieved depending on the speed entering and exiting the turn. crap just realized this thread is about body roll, oh well

YooShin
07-08-2004, 01:06 PM
throttle steer. It depends on when your accelerating through the turn. To me, it seems our cars are more sensitive to throttle acccel/decel than most other FWD cars when taking turns. Oversteer and understeer can both be achieved depending on the speed entering and exiting the turn. crap just realized this thread is about body roll, oh well

That's cool. Good input. But does anybody else experience this type of roll or sway. I guess another way of putting it is a leaning bobbing motion. Think long winding roads with swoops like on/of ramps. Curves you would take going 50-70 before oversteer scares the sh!t out of you.

Sorry LiLxKeNnY don't mean to wh*re the thread, but my Mom's in town and I've been driving her BMW and I've also been cruz'n in my buddy's EVO, both of which have remarkable handling. Basically I've come to realize that the EP needs to handle better.

STP03BlueSI
07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
I have some body roll.

But not as bad as when i first purchased the car.

My set up

Tein S-tech springs, Neuspeed X-Brace, Neuspeed Upper front, Spoon Sports rear upper, Neuspeed Upper rear bar, and Progress combo rear sway.