PDA

View Full Version : real low = real bad???

LiLxKeNnY
07-08-2004, 04:27 AM
i heard that if your ride is too low ... then you are stressing your coilovers ... is this tru??? i knew that my camber would be bad, but i didnt kno that u can hurt the coilovers themselves!!! ... someone help!!!!

oogy-boogy
07-08-2004, 06:25 AM
i heard that if your ride is too low ... then you are stressing your coilovers ... is this tru??? i knew that my camber would be bad, but i didnt kno that u can hurt the coilovers themselves!!! ... someone help!!!!

Are they full coilovers or just sleeves?

Also, Camber is a big issue that would need to be fixed. Otherwise, you'll be dishing out big $$$ for tires due to the uneven wear.

Burgh
07-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Depends on the type of coilover. If you're just talking about lowering springs and shocks, then yes. If you lower too much on stock/aftermarket shocks you run out of suspension travel and bottom out the shock piston. This is really bad for your shock. That's why people recommend fully adjustable coilovers like the tein flex or jic flta2 where you can lower the car without losing travel. But these suspension setups also run >$1500!!

Also - if you're dropped too much, you will toe in your front tires. This is even worse than camber for tire wear.

LiLxKeNnY
07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
i have tein basics on ... and im feeling awkward on just right turns ... sorry for not being specific ... thanks for all your inputs though ... more is appreciated!

blaketion
07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Also - if you're dropped too much, you will toe in your front tires. This is even worse than camber for tire wear.

Can this be adjusted by having an alignment done?

Burgh
07-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Can this be adjusted by having an alignment done?

Yes, but only if you're not slammed too much. The EP tie rods are kinda long, so when you drop the car a LOT, you run out of adjustment on the tie rod and are stuck with toe in. The only straightforward fix at that point would be to raise the car back up a bit. Some of us folks have been throwing around some ideas of how to get around this problem by either cutting them or getting aftermarket ones.