PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the axle pop with spring install?

jimmied
07-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I am going to lower my car this weekend and remember reading something regarding an axle pop out when working on the front....can i get some better forewarning and what to look for to avoid it. thank you

02civicSI
07-09-2004, 07:17 AM
ok basically the axles will pop out if you do not hold the brake assembly up. if you let the brake assembly hang then the axle will pop out. you will know that the axle popped out when you cannot move the brake assembly back into its normal position. to avoid that problem you can have a buddy hold up the brake assembly or use zip ties to hold the brake assembly up in place.

siver-SI
07-09-2004, 11:12 AM
ok basically the axles will pop out if you do not hold the brake assembly up. if you let the brake assembly hang then the axle will pop out. you will know that the axle popped out when you cannot move the brake assembly back into its normal position. to avoid that problem you can have a buddy hold up the brake assembly or use zip ties to hold the brake assembly up in place.

I just used a bungy cord and floor jack. I just used the cord to make sure it did not roll off the jack. I just held the rotor just low enough to slide out the strut.

Tenacious G
07-09-2004, 12:07 PM
moved to suspension

Tenacious G
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I just used a bungy cord and floor jack. I just used the cord to make sure it did not roll off the jack. I just held the rotor just low enough to slide out the strut.

that's what the guy who installed my springs did. note that the bungee cords or zip ties must be put on BEFORE you completely loosen the strut assembly from the top.

LiLxKeNnY
07-09-2004, 12:12 PM
i didnt know this at first ... so i just kept tryin to smash the axle bak in ... boi i tried to do that for 1 hr. then i realized how stupid i was ... stupid spider configuration

03silverEP
07-09-2004, 12:14 PM
okay, when you're working on the front suspension, before you completely remove the strut from the control arm, put your stock wheels under the brake rotor so the rotor rests on the tire, this will prevent the axel from popping out

siver-SI
07-09-2004, 12:23 PM
okay, when you're working on the front suspension, before you completely remove the strut from the control arm, put your stock wheels under the brake rotor so the rotor rests on the tire, this will prevent the axel from popping out

Good idea if you have low jack stands. I could not do it since my car was too high. My stands sit about 2.5 feet off the ground at the lowest level and I had my car up to about 3.5 feet so I had to much space. That was the reason for using the jack.

Si4U2NV
07-09-2004, 06:00 PM
you guys are talkin about hyper extending ... RYTE? "axle popping out"

i hyper extended mine 3 ways... hehe that was fun... took some time but it was put back in its place... :winkm:

be careful and good luck!!

-Mike

jimmied
07-09-2004, 06:16 PM
ok thanks guys