PDA

View Full Version : Funny work Story

Hondatech
11-01-2002, 08:47 PM
I was finishing up some paperwork in our service booth today when I overheard this:

A customer was laying into one of our service advisors about a squeek in their 2002 Accord EX-L (first time in for it), and they starting going off about how they spent $28,000 (canadian) on their car, and how dare there be a noise in it, and why does he have to WAIT for it to be fixed (he was told we'd need it for a few hours to try to find and solve the noise). AFter he was done, another CUSTOMER behind him quietly said to the guy, "I spent $36,000 on my Oddessy, and I realize it's gonna have some noises. And hey, by your reasoning, I should go in front of you, mine's worth more." The accord guy was just dumbstruck. I had to quietly leave the booth before I burst out laughing.

Apparently, the Accord guy was very subdued when he came to get his car later on (We did fix his noise FWIW) :D

IceD out N CALI
11-01-2002, 09:09 PM
some customers:confused:

BlasTech
11-02-2002, 03:42 PM
So, for all us Squeakers out here, what would you say is most the most-common cause of squeaks, Hondatech?

Hondatech
11-02-2002, 06:58 PM
So, for all us Squeakers out here, what would you say is most the most-common cause of squeaks, Hondatech?

Even split between suspension bushings and interior plastic body panels. Bushings can often be lubed with 100% pure silicone spray, while panel noise usually requires padding or replacement. Rubber weather stripping can also make interesting squeeking noises.

BlasTech
11-02-2002, 07:04 PM
So maybe I should go over my bushings with some 100% silicone and see if that helps. I dont wanna do without my baby any more than the next guy! Thanks!

Hondatech
11-02-2002, 07:07 PM
First step is pinpoint the noise. I'll sit in the car in the general area where the noise is coming from while one of the other techs drives. Have a really good listen, and ttry to figure out where it's coming from. If it soudns like an interior noise, I'll apply pressure to panels, hond onto trim .etc to try to make it quieter, or go away. If you're fairly certain it's suspension, try lubing the bushings.

BlasTech
11-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Its a real tuffy. The guys at the dealership had it for a day but couldnt pinpoint the sound. They said they took the door apart, and were in the process of checking the suspension, but called and said for me to bring it back when the weather got clearer, so they could continue.

Since then, I've been able to get the same noise with the door wide open, so I think its a suspension thing...either in the region of the control arm or one of the back linkages. My next step is to have someone drive it up and down the little hump at the end of my driveway while I walk along the outside listening for more pinpoint.

Is there a brand of silicone youd recommend? Spray? Gel?

Hondatech
11-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Spray, for sure. Just make sure it 10% pure silicone, and doesn't have any petroleum additives.

Out of wild curiousity, your noise, is it a squeek from just behind and to the left of the drivers seat when taking off from a dead stop?

BlasTech
11-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Its a creak from (so far my guess is) the passengers lower b-pillar area.

It happens louder/more frequently as the car gets warmer. It seems to happen whenever the car shifts its weight from front to back, or back to front... like stopping or starting, and, when its warm, whenever I shift gears or go over a road hump.

Hondatech
11-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Sounds a lot like a noise I had in mine (similiar to yours, but drivers side B pillar).

My offical Honda fix? Peeled the plastic interior panel off along the inside edge of the door opening, and laid down a big strip of canopy tape along the metal seam that the panel fits over. Noise gone. Me happy. Got paid by warranty to fix my own car :D

(Note, this may not be your noise, but it's a good place to start)

siriousep
11-03-2002, 09:16 PM
HondaTech.

What about a popping on the drivers side front wheel area and the dealership says it is a characteristic of the car? Sounds more like an axle popping to me. Hmmmm

motomoron
11-05-2002, 01:10 PM
The amazingly tight asses of the idiots who clutter service department waiting areas whining about imperceptable "squeeks" that only they and their dogs can hear. Christ I hated these people when I was in the service industry.

DocofMind
11-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Thats a great story Hondatech. I m glad that another customer was able to put him in is place without making you guys look like assholes.

I myself do a lot of PR work and living with the phrase "the customer is always right" can be pretty hard at times. Especially now that the economy is not doing so well, everyone feels like taking their shit out on the next guy.

cbecker333
11-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by siriousep
HondaTech.

What about a popping on the drivers side front wheel area and the dealership says it is a characteristic of the car? Sounds more like an axle popping to me. Hmmmm

I have read posts from multiple drivers with this issue in any or all of the 4 wheel wells. Its normal if it only happens once just after you squeeze the brakes the first time from park. I remember something about the brake pads needing to be "reset" and thats the click you hear. It is a characteristic of the car. When I listen for it, I hear it every single time I first hit the brakes after being parked, since the day I got the car.