PDA

View Full Version : Stealthy sub enclosures?

BarracksSi
11-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Yes, a big box with a pair of 15s would be grand, but I can't afford to give up that much space. At best, I would like to either install a sub in the floor somehow, or tuck a custom enclosure in a rear corner.

Has anyone else here done a similar installation? If I found a good shop, how much should I expect to shell out for such a job?

DownTheHatch
11-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Solution: RSX BOSE Bass Box, it fits inside your spare tire.

Price: About $100 used off eBay

Quality: I havn't heard one yet

BarracksSi
11-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Found one -- it's interesting. I think I remember seeing something about these before. Think a dealership might have one in a car on their lot? I'm expecting that it won't sound as good as the single 10 that I used to have, but I want to hear it to be sure.

I wouldn't terribly mind laying a truck-style box flat in the back like before, but I've got more space now, and want something else to do.

IceD out N CALI
11-04-2002, 10:22 AM
You could get a single 10 inch JL w-6. that is what i am running right now with a 250/1 mono amp and it sounds good in the hatchback. It only takes up a fraction of the trunkspace and weights 47lbs with the amp:)

greenguy
11-04-2002, 11:25 AM
$400!
http://images.cardomain.com/products/inf/INFBASSLINK.jpg
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFBASSLINK

SLOlife
11-04-2002, 02:33 PM
you can get the basslink for 299 at Curcuit City, they run a sale on them every other week, or close to it.

IceD out N CALI
11-04-2002, 04:08 PM
does the basslink sound any good?

natesi
11-04-2002, 10:27 PM
I got the Baselink--just added it to my stock stereo. Mine came with an in-line base knob thingy, which I'm glad I paid extra for installing.

Anyway, this thing has WAY more bass than an average listener will EVER need. You will be shocked! It only takes about 1 cubic foot of space, can be easily hid, and is LIGHT AS HELL for a sub.

Very good quality--I highly recommend. Get it!

Now I only wish I had an aftermarket head unit for better mids... but the infinity will take care of just about any lows you need. Don' t go looking to win stereo comps, or anything, but personally I'd RATHer the guy next to me did NOT hear or see my stereo. I live in a bad neighborhood so I just throw a towel over it when I'm getting things out of my hatch. No one would ever guess it's a sub because it's way too small.

My firend has two 12" in the extended cab of his truck, and he wants one of these now.

natesi
11-04-2002, 10:29 PM
I haven't heard anything good about the RSX sub--I've heard it sucks.

the Infinity has too much bass, if anything. What ever you do, don't waste your money on a Bazoka tube thing, or what ever those are. They suck--but you get what you pay for.

BarracksSi
11-04-2002, 11:45 PM
IceD out N Cali, what did you use for your JL sub? I'm expecting either JL or Rockford to produce a Stealthbox-type thing for the EP sometime soon.

I heard a Basslink at a Circuit City, and honestly wasn't impressed -- it bottomed out too easily for my tastes, and I haven't enjoyed a passive radiator in a long, long time. Sometimes, it sounded like someone was kicking it with their foot in the side.

I agree about Bazookas, too. Nasty things that thrive on good marketing. I also remember hearing less-than-favorable comments about the RSX bass "upside down cake".

In my '86 Si, I had a single 10 in a 1-cubic-foot truck-style box, laid flat over the spare tire and covered with a nappy blanket. That was bridged over a 2x50W amp, which also drove 6-1/2" coax mains in front; the 4" rear coaxes ran off the head. To substitute for an electronic crossover, a store back home in Nebraska recommended caps for the four mains (to block bass) and a coil for the sub (to block everything but bass), and the resulting sound was surprisingly well-balanced -- and damn loud. I miss it.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a single small-enclosure 10 either on the floor or in a corner, plenty of power, and probably better main speakers (depending on what's in there already). I might add an Alpine changer with the adapter for the factory head unit (I'm going to stick with the factory head until DVD receivers come down far enough in price -- if I'm going to mess with the clean factory look, I'm gonna get a movie screen, too. :p )

Surprise
11-05-2002, 12:05 AM
I doubt jl, or any other large company will make an enclosure for such a small market, 12000 a year is a nothing when compared to 400000 for accords and similar for regular civics.

The bass link sounds much better in a car, the environment that it is ment fore. It is hard for any speaker to sound accurate in a volume as large as a store.

Not only that but compare mass, amp/sub/box is 40+ pounds
basslink is 22 pounds.

natesi
11-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
IceD out N Cali, what did you use for your JL sub? I'm expecting either JL or Rockford to produce a Stealthbox-type thing for the EP sometime soon.

I heard a Basslink at a Circuit City, and honestly wasn't impressed -- it bottomed out too easily for my tastes, and I haven't enjoyed a passive radiator in a long, long time. Sometimes, it sounded like someone was kicking it with their foot in the side.

I agree about Bazookas, too. Nasty things that thrive on good marketing. I also remember hearing less-than-favorable comments about the RSX bass "upside down cake".

In my '86 Si, I had a single 10 in a 1-cubic-foot truck-style box, laid flat over the spare tire and covered with a nappy blanket. That was bridged over a 2x50W amp, which also drove 6-1/2" coax mains in front; the 4" rear coaxes ran off the head. To substitute for an electronic crossover, a store back home in Nebraska recommended caps for the four mains (to block bass) and a coil for the sub (to block everything but bass), and the resulting sound was surprisingly well-balanced -- and damn loud. I miss it.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a single small-enclosure 10 either on the floor or in a corner, plenty of power, and probably better main speakers (depending on what's in there already). I might add an Alpine changer with the adapter for the factory head unit (I'm going to stick with the factory head until DVD receivers come down far enough in price -- if I'm going to mess with the clean factory look, I'm gonna get a movie screen, too. :p )

I was having second thoughts when they were installing the sub in my car because I read reviews about this sub THEN decided to buy it--w/o actually hearing it. Then when they were installing it, I was playing with the demo unit and was majorly disappointed but figured it was too late.

Then I got in my car... and all I can say is HOLY COW--what a difference! It sounds 100X better in the car than on demo. Needless to say, I was very happy.

It's got some sort of built in clipping/protection thing. I'm not sure how it works, but by the time that kicks in (there's an indicator on the sub), it's pretty damn loud.

All I can say is for the size and weight, I **SERIOUSLY** doubt you will find anything with near the quality and level of sound. Keep in mind, the size of that unit *uncludes* a 200 watt RMS amp built into it too. They are doing a LOT with very little space! And there's not much space to spare in the Si hatch, as we all know. For me it's perfect and I would highly recommend it. Read reviews if in doubt--the sound dynamics in a "demo" room are nothing like that of a car, so the sub sounds totally different--seriously. Way better in a car. I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you want to spend significantly more, with something significantly bigger in size, and significantly more weight--but that's NOT what you're asking about. You're asking for something small and stealthy--a regular sub is none of that, and heavy.

Also, if you want the BassLink, look on ebay. There are guys selling them for WAY cheap brand new. My friend found this after I got mine. You can get them for a steal!! There are two auctions right now where you can buy this sub for **under $200**!!! These are NOT returned or refub units.

There's no way you'll find a sub with that great of sound, that small, that light weight, and with a 200 watt amp for $200! Seriously.

Jpax
11-05-2002, 02:10 AM
For all you Customers out there that dont under stand some basic fundamentails of subwoofers in cars..........

OUR LISTENING ROOM IS LARGE....... BIGGER THEN EP3 AND BIGGER THEN SUV YUKONS.......LIKE A NORMAL BEDROOM.

hers a simple break down on how things work........ when you walk into a store(car audio or home with car stuff)

and ask to hear Sub woofers......The sales people or person should ask you ..............#1 do you have a factory stereo? #2 do you have an amp. #3 are you looking for pure sound or SPL? #4 would you like to see options on Steath boxs from JL audio (depending on car)

after those questions answered......

I take the customer into room and play a couple of subs.... listening to the same music( we have a switcher)

Rap and Jazz with low bass work best......... We set it to a comfortable level......

then Switch between subs.........

The output is different on each of the subs, DB and freq. Just Because its louder DOSE NOT MEAN ITS BETTER PEOPLE....

now in this room......... Its larger....... so it will sound different .
The best way to compensate for the larger room...... find out what FreQ. the Running amp is on and have them set it to 80 hz........
now turn it up and see if you like the bass.....is it tight? dose it boom to much? is there and echo???.......'

if any one of these problems occor switch subs, Turn the volum up to your liking.and start switching subs....

What happens when you put a sub form a listen room to a car, in a trunk (like coupe) you GAIN 6DB. that means its going to play 6 db louder in a car then the room because of refelction and sound carestics of the car....................granted this is AVEARGE.......6 db is common.......... less and more is often....

For our EP3 i have recorded with DB meter a gain of 4 DB with 10" and 6 db with 12" with a 500 watt jlaudio mono block.....Running with Factory cd player and High level into amp with gain left at the same. for both 10 and 12.

with a SEALED ENCLOSURE the Db were 4 db louder and 12 " was 6db sounded Great for both. ............ If you have a band pass or ported enclosure it WILL PLAY LOUDER...if you like Dirty bass so be it....

So rule of thumb it will play louder and sound simular as far as tightness in bass in car........better then room .

IceD out N CALI
11-05-2002, 10:07 AM
hey barrak I used the prefabricated boxes 3/4inch MDF that they sold at the stereoshop. it is sealed. I was a little skeptical of how it would sound at first but as it turned out it sounds good. ONly prob is that it doesnt go very deep (like under 35hertz). I dont mind though cause its not weighing my car down that much.

BarracksSi
11-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Cool, cool...

My old box was also prebuilt -- a Q-Logic box that normally is used behind truck seats. It laid flat in the back, only adding a few inches to the floor, and I could still easily shove my tuba back there.

Yes, I know about cabin gain, and that it's less in a hatchback than in a truck or sedan (well, most sedans, anwyay). I also know that it's ultimately personal taste, and my taste didn't like what the Basslink played well enough to warrant a purchase. It was pretty darned loud for its size, true, but it was too easy for me to hear stuff that it added to the sound.

Anyway, I'll keep shopping around.

Jpax
11-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
(like under 35hertz). I dont mind though cause its not weighing my car down that much.

I didn't know you can hear under 35 hz in a car. thats new to me.

IceD out N CALI
11-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

I didn't know you can hear under 35 hz in a car. thats new to me.

even though you cant hear it you can feel it;)