PDA

View Full Version : D3Design's Double X Brace Rusts?

GCheung55
07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I had to leave my Double X Brace at my friends house while I took my car to get it looked at by Honda for warranty issues. Well when I finally had time to put the brace back on with my friend, I noticed rust building up inside the front and center bolting points.

Now I checked that the brace is either stainless steel or chromolly. Which one is it? I'm beginning to think it's chromolly. If it rusts, this is not cool. Help? What should I do?

madbrain
07-09-2004, 07:27 PM
I dont know what material the brace is made of but the rust could be from the bolts.

NuG
07-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Contact Dr. Design directly to address this issue. I'm sure they'll have some guidance. Good luck.

Dr. Design
D3 Automotive Designs
www.dthreedesigns.com
310-428-7716

raiyo
07-09-2004, 07:52 PM
I dont know what material the brace is made of but the rust could be from the bolts.

I'm thinking the same.

The brace is made from 304 stainless steel.

http://www.dthreedesigns.com/faq.php

FCobra94
07-10-2004, 07:37 PM
I noticed some light rusting in the bolt hole areas as well, right after getting the brace out of the box it arrived in. All I did was lightly sand the bolt hole areas, as instructed by the boys over at D3, and then I hit w/ some hi-temp black engine paint. So far, so good :winkm:

blackdc5
07-10-2004, 08:01 PM
So these aren't rust proof either after all?

<who planned on switching out his Neuspeed X Brace possibly for the D3 brace.

oogy-boogy
07-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Mine has been on since spring. Looked at it yesterday and still no problems.

mathman
07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
If it's the bolts rusting, and it bothers you any, you should be able to get stainless bolts at a hardware store. Should only be a few dollars for grade 8 stainless bolts.

Mathman.

GCheung55
07-11-2004, 03:27 PM
As quoted from FAQ of Dthreedesigns.com
"Out of the X-Braces that are on the market now, the D3 DOUBLE XCB-C is the ONLY one to offer it in stainless steel (meaning you do not have to worry about it rusting)."

BUT, on one of the posts (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=324706#post324706) Dr. Design says
"Here is another picture of the welds on the Double XCB-C. All tig welded 4130 chrome molly."

So which one is it?!

LiLxKeNnY
07-12-2004, 04:20 PM
mine has been sittin here for 3 months in my room ... and it has rust on it!!! RUST D3!!! RUST!!! haha im not madd ... it warranteed for life rite???

Dr. Design
07-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Hello All,
Sorry it took us so long to respond to this post. For starters the current DXCB-C is made out of 4130 Chomolly not stainless steel. However the second version will be made out of 304 stainless steel. All products are still lifetime warranty. The rust issue should not really even be an issue. We stand by all our products and if there is rust and the part is rotting then we will replace it. What we might be noticing are either the bolts rusting or material next to the DXCB-C causing surface rust to form. Never the less please dont let this stop you all from enjoying the fun and pleasure the Double X-Brace brings you and your EP3.

Again we STAND by all of our products and there is a problem please let us know. :D
Thank you,

FCobra94
07-12-2004, 07:51 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying mine and just wanted to say that this shouldn't deter anyone from considering the double x-brace :m: As I already mentioned, after doing only about 5 minutes worth of light sanding/spray painting in the bolt hole areas, I have had absolutely no problems from my brace and would pick one up again in a heart beat if I didn't already own one :shadesm:

LiLxKeNnY
07-13-2004, 04:53 AM
see!!! lifetime warantee!!! ... i love d3 ... i am by no means kissin a$$ jus stating the truth!!! ... im waitin for the ICB!!!

tony speed
07-14-2004, 11:37 AM
see!!! lifetime warantee!!! ... i love d3 ... i am by no means kissin a$$ jus stating the truth!!! ... im waitin for the ICB!!!

be sure i will be getting d3 products when the time comes...

GCheung55
07-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Just a side question. People who DO have the brace, I just checked under the car and noticed the front portion of the bar is touching the underside of the body. I think that is the reason why I hear noises such as popping. Anyone else notice that the bar is touching something at the front portion?

Dr. Design - For the 2nd edition bars that are stainless steel, do they have a clearance problem with the front portion as I have mentioned? No pics yet, but I'll be sure to have some.. hopefully.