PDA

View Full Version : Okay - Really Screwed now! Battery doesnt hold charge

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Well I drained my battery yesterday morning (apparently). gave it a jump and from what i understood it shoul dhave been fine. I ended up needing about 4 more jumps yesterday. Would have posted sooner but not only did the juice from my car give out, so did my house. Worst luck with electronics, i swear.

so, what do I do? can i go to honda and get a new battery even though I had a system? do i just go to autozone and pick up a ne wone? price ranges? whats the best battery i can buy for the money?

thanks guys!

siver-SI
07-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Well I drained my battery yesterday morning (apparently). gave it a jump and from what i understood it shoul dhave been fine. I ended up needing about 4 more jumps yesterday. Would have posted sooner but not only did the juice from my car give out, so did my house. Worst luck with electronics, i swear.

so, what do I do? can i go to honda and get a new battery even though I had a system? do i just go to autozone and pick up a ne wone? price ranges? whats the best battery i can buy for the money?

thanks guys!

I would try the dealer first because free replacment is allways good. If they say no then look for a good battery that is made for systems.

Also what votage are you getting off the alt. when the car is running? If you battery did get to low you could have had the alt. go bad because of it working to hard. Just wondering what was the longest drive you did yesterday with the low battery?

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 08:40 AM
I dont know what voltage I'm getting. how can I tell?

the longest drive was about 10 minutes because last time my battery died i got a jump, let the car run for a bit, then drove around and it was fine.

siver-SI
07-10-2004, 08:53 AM
I dont know what voltage I'm getting. how can I tell?

the longest drive was about 10 minutes because last time my battery died i got a jump, let the car run for a bit, then drove around and it was fine.

10min is not that long. Do you have a muti-meter? If so check it you should be around 14v. Do a long run I would say around a 1/2 hour at least. Also use the muti-meter to do a draw test just to see how much power you are eating when the car is not running.

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 08:58 AM
i think i have a multimeter at the other store. what do i test it on? like what part?

also, i think maybe my system might have drained the battery (i took it out now). the batterys a little less then 2 years old so i dont think its dead? maybe just drained

TheMutt
07-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Put it on a charger.

bao_pay
07-10-2004, 10:49 AM
yup... drive it around for like a 1/2 hour and then see how it holds up. chances are you got a busted alt tho. Kennytaker had his alt and battery replaced under warranty like in oct/nov and he only had the car for 6 months.

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 10:51 AM
im gonna get it charged today and drive it around and see how that goes. i think ki just milked out all the juice cause im a moron and ran accessories without the car on.

if its stioll messed ill just take out my wires and bring it to lute and see whats up

bobdobbs
07-10-2004, 11:04 AM
i think i have a multimeter at the other store. what do i test it on? like what part?
Set your multimeter on VDC with 20 as it's max. Start your car, put it in neutral and set the parking brake, let it idle. Hold the two probes to the battery terminals and measure the voltage across them. At idle it should be about 12.8 (or so). With your third hand, turn the throttle body and to rev up your engine. The voltage should increase slightly into the 13s. You're looking to see if the voltage is above 12 at all times and increases as engine RPM increases.

intelli
07-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Shouldn't a bad alternator trip the idiot light? :shockm:

siver-SI
07-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Shouldn't a bad alternator trip the idiot light? :shockm:

Do not know. I would think so though.

Az02Si
07-10-2004, 11:31 AM

thanks guys!
Oh my fucking lord...its a dead battery,REPLACE IT......take 50-80 dollars,go to Sears or someplace and buy one..go home,or where ever the car is,and install it......For anyone that needs to know,theres what ya do when your battery dies.......Not hard,im sure a small child could pull this one off...Not tryin to be a dick,but im tired,i had no sleep,have broken bones,and to top it off im at WORK instead of working on my swap.....Im just tired of seeing "common sense" type questions all over this place.....

chet
07-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh my fucking lord...its a dead battery,REPLACE IT......take 50-80 dollars,go to Sears or someplace and buy one..go home,or where ever the car is,and install it......For anyone that needs to know,theres what ya do when your battery dies.......Not hard,im sure a small child could pull this one off...Not tryin to be a dick,but im tired,i had no sleep,have broken bones,and to top it off im at WORK instead of working on my swap.....Im just tired of seeing "common sense" type questions all over this place.....

Trippz is a young cat, probably doesn't have an extra bill to buy a battery whenever he drains one. So I'm sure he's trying to take the economical route here. Trippz has a good reputation, he's not an idiot or anything. BUT it sure as hell would be easier to just go buy an Optima yello top to run your system.

bobdobbs
07-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I'd spend 3 minutes checking my alternator before I spent 75 buck on a new battery. That's just me, though. I'm silly that way.

kenscivic
07-10-2004, 12:09 PM
I'd spend 3 minutes checking my alternator before I spent 75 buck on a new battery. That's just me, though. I'm silly that way.

just remove the neg. battery terminal while the car is running and if it stalls , do some more checking cause its probably your alternator and see if anything is draining your battery with a voltmeter , while your car is turned off see if any juice is being taken out of your battery , if so disconnect your system , check for any lights on and stuff like that, and your battery fully charged should read 12.6 volts

*edit*
and also it could be something as simple as a loose alternator belt , cause with a loose belt your alternator cant charge

bobdobbs
07-10-2004, 12:12 PM
just remove the neg. battery terminal while the car is running
Bad idea. Do not do this.

kenscivic
07-10-2004, 12:14 PM
why not? i did tht test to my 87 civic and it turned out it was the alternator.

well it is a newer car im not as familiar with working on newer cars as i am with older cars

bobdobbs
07-10-2004, 12:30 PM
The battery completes the circuit of the ignition system. Disconnecting it while the car is running tells you nothing when the car dies, other than your car is operating normally.

SIxtasy
07-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey trippz, If you have a Passport 8500 Radar detector, it has a Voltmeter built in. Works pretty good too.

- Jeff

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 12:48 PM

I really odn't give a shit about what you're tired of seeing. I'm tired of you breathing, but do you see complain? Simple way of answering the question would have been "replace it." Maybe you should have taken into considerationt hat I would have replaced it a wihle ago but I don't have the $ too, thusly, I'm asking questions trying to see what it is.

Please, ship yourself off to Iraq place with the American flag stapled to your ass. You'd do me a huge favor there buddy.

Thanks.

And to everyone else - I'll be going to pick up my dads voltmeter in a few minutes and see what the deal is.

dtexan
07-10-2004, 12:55 PM
why not just take the battery to autozone and have them test it for free. Then you can find out if it has any dead cells

kenscivic
07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
The battery completes the circuit of the ignition system. Disconnecting it while the car is running tells you nothing when the car dies, other than your car is operating normally.
for the ignition system yes but the alternator is where the power comes from after the car is started.

bobdobbs
07-10-2004, 01:15 PM
for the ignition system yes but the alternator is where the power comes from after the car is started.
Ugh. Please. The ignition system is what KEEPS YOUR ENGINE RUNNING. Read the service manual before you spout off.

Ken, you need to think before you post. You're constantly posting threads in the wrong forum -- you put everything in EP Discussion. Several moderators are watching you and are going to ban you if you're not more careful. We're tired of cleaning up after you.

Several of us have tried to PM you, but your PM box is full. You also don't respond to emails.

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Took it to autozone. battery's dead. gonna go to honda in a few and see fi they'll hook it up

TrippZ
07-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks to Lute Riley i have a new battery.

however, i do have 1 qualm. they put my purchase date as 5/04/02... doesnt matter that much, but, they said the battery is warrantied for 2 years after purchase date. meaning that my warranty was out. however, i bought the car 8/02/02. that means i still have ~30 days till my warranty on the battery runs out. glad that happened before next month lol!

:P

thanks for tghe info and support guys

kenscivic
07-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Ugh. Please. The ignition system is what KEEPS YOUR ENGINE RUNNING. Read the service manual before you spout off.

Ken, you need to think before you post. You're constantly posting threads in the wrong forum -- you put everything in EP Discussion. Several moderators are watching you and are going to ban you if you're not more careful. We're tired of cleaning up after you.

Several of us have tried to PM you, but your PM box is full. You also don't respond to emails.

ehh i didnt know stupid people were looked down upon here , i shall pack my bags and go i apologize.

and also i got one private message and no emails..

the JigGa mAn
07-10-2004, 08:48 PM
ehh i didnt know stupid people were looked down upon here , i shall pack my bags and go i apologize.

and also i got one private message and no emails..

you mean it? thank you

freidaddy
07-10-2004, 11:35 PM
that's why you didn't show up.