PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow question concerning the middle bolt-ring

FurY
07-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I just lowered my car today on sprint springs (2in drop) and notice that I am scraping when I go into my garage. I had my friend watch underneath and it turns out it isn't the back end of the exhaust that's scraping, it's actually a bolt that's on it right in the middle of the piping. From what I can tell (I had honda install it for me), the bolt is part of a looped tightening ring.... the kind that when you tighten the bolt, the ring becomes smaller/tighter. If this is what it is, I could loosen it enough to turn it counter clockwise so it's not pointing straight down.

Can anyone with the magnaflow exhaust verify for me that it is possible to twist/rotate the ring so that it won't be pointing down? Or is it attached/welded onto the piping which makes this not possible? Any info, pics, diagrams, etc is appreciated. Thanks.

FurY
07-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Also, what size socket is that screw on the bolt?

SSMep3
07-10-2004, 05:49 PM
yes u can modify the screw and turn it the opposite way. i am positive i have the magnaflow as well.

David K.
07-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Yeah that will work. I had to do the same to mine; I was scraping the bolt on everything. Don't recall what size the bolt is though.

Ph0nK
07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
actually, if I were you, I'd go to a local muffler shop and have them weld that section for you. The only reason it's there is for shipping purposes, so if you're going to keep the exhaust for a while, just skip all the hassle and get it welded. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much and probably would take all of 10 minutes (plus wait time at the shop)

FurY
07-10-2004, 11:11 PM
actually, if I were you, I'd go to a local muffler shop and have them weld that section for you. The only reason it's there is for shipping purposes, so if you're going to keep the exhaust for a while, just skip all the hassle and get it welded. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much and probably would take all of 10 minutes (plus wait time at the shop)

Good idea, I think i'll look into that. For now though I'm going to rotate it and tighten it until I get to the welding part just because I don't want to scrape it everywhere I go. Thanks for the help guys.

trabadoo22
07-12-2004, 09:27 PM
If this is what it is, I could loosen it enough to turn it counter clockwise so it's not pointing straight down.

Yes, I had this exhaust and the ring can rotate. It's juts a ring clamp so rotate it and then bolt it down so the bolt isn't facing downwards.

I think you may be misunderstanding what this person is saying. Without the ring clamp the exhaust piping could come loose. But yes, you could get it welded so you don't have to worry about it.

TrippZ
07-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Wait I don't understand... When I put on my magnaflow I just put the bolt in the regular way, but didnt include the springs because it would just dangle there.. anyone have pictures of what you're talking about?

FurY
07-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Wait I don't understand... When I put on my magnaflow I just put the bolt in the regular way, but didnt include the springs because it would just dangle there.. anyone have pictures of what you're talking about?

I'm talking about where the two pipes connect near the middle of the underbody of the car. There's a ring clamp that holds together the two pipes which is what I was needing to rotate.

Just want to say thanks again for the input everyone, I have rotated the bolt fine and I am no longer scraping it after lowering my car :smilem:

Gasp23
07-13-2004, 08:49 AM
The mid pipe comes in two pieces. The reason for this is for shipping.

You hook up the first section to the end of the cat, then you put the other half of the mid pipe that bolts on to the axle back, you put the clamp (which it of course be moved to your pleasure Fury)

Hope this helps.

I've also heard that if you weld it it's not as resonant (loud) but who knows.

trabadoo22
07-13-2004, 09:25 PM
The mid pipe comes in two pieces. The reason for this is for shipping.

Ah, I see what you and Ph0nK are saying now. For some reason it wasn't registering last night.

TrippZ, you don't need the spring bolts that are from the stock exhaust. I think the two bolts you are talking about are further back towards where the axle back piping conects to the midpipe.