PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? (cat q's)

TrippZ
07-11-2004, 12:36 PM
I have a Megan test pipe. I don't want to fail emissions and I don't want an O2 Sim because what if there really IS a problem, then I wont know.

I did however come across a sale int he classifieds (Black 02 Si) selling a magnaflow cat. I did some research and I think this would be better. So here's my question.

Would you:

A) Install Test Pipe, Get O2 Sim, Forget Magnaflow
B) Sell Test Pipe, Weld on Magnaflow
C) Weld on Magnaflow on Test Pipe

Also, magnaflow = high flow cat that doesnt throw CEL's and passes emissions right? From my understanding, this is true. Let me know ya'll! :D

~John

madbrain
07-12-2004, 08:42 AM
It depends on your state's emissions tests. In NJ they look under the car to check for the cat.
I would go with option B and stay legal. With option C you will have to close the 02 bungs on the test pipe and extend the 02 wires for the new cat, another problem with this is any cat-back exhaust you buy will have to be shortened.

andy
07-12-2004, 12:03 PM
I have a Megan test pipe. I don't want to fail emissions and I don't want an O2 Sim because what if there really IS a problem, then I wont know.

This don't make no damn sense (about the 02 sim).
The 02 Sim only nulls out the signal from the secondary 02 sensor. The secondary 02 sensor is *only* used to see if your catalytic converter is working or not - it does nothing else. It's the primary 02 sensor that is the doozy - if it is screwed, you will still get a CEL and your car will run/act funny (run rich, etc).

I don't have to deal with emissions here in FL, but if that is an issue, get the Magnaflow and be done with it. If you have a friend in a shop who will sell you an inspection sticker, go the Megan cat route or whichever is cheapest.