PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Music Keg...or just hook up an I-Pod

A-Phi-Si
07-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Aight guys here's my deal. I'm looking to get a new head unit. Kenwood is what I was looking at. I've found a unit, but the only reasons I'm looking at Kenwood is b/c of their music keg. But I was wondering, you think I'd be better off A)buying an i-pod and hooking it up to the kenwood headunit, B) Getting the kenwood face plate and getting the Kenwood Music Keg C)hooking up an i-pod to the stock head unit or D) Deciding on another brand head unit and the i-pod. (oogh...too many options... :yellm: )
Any direction and/or suggestions and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Oh yea the head unit is the Kenwood KDC-MPV5025
CD/MP3/WMA receiver...here... (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zdt5zOCDvBM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=113MPV5025&search=Kenwood+KDC%2DMPV5025)

SpoonFedEP3
07-14-2004, 05:55 PM
I myself just went with the Kenwood Music Keg, but that was because i got hooked up by my Kenwood rep on a full system. I think there are benefits to both. The ipod will allow you to take it with you, where as the music keg won't but the music keg also has a lot more storage capacity. I am not sure what Kenwood has out right now to interface an ipod to the headunit, but Alpine is or maybe has released a special cable designed specifically for the purpose of adding an ipod to your system.... hope my little bit of rambling helped out a bit

Si3
07-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Go with a 20/40 gig I-pod or Gateway Jukebox.

Youll be much happier when you are exercising, on a plane, taking a long trip in someone elses car, or decide to sell your ride.

Ipod is much more transferable and IMO a more intellegant long term purchase.

(also Ipod's red buttons look sweet with our EP's display!!)

But you can get a hook up, thats a different story... but full price vs. full price... hands down: I POD!

FurY
07-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Go with a 20/40 gig I-pod or Gateway Jukebox.

Youll be much happier when you are exercising, on a plane, taking a long trip in someone elses car, or decide to sell your ride.

Ipod is much more transferable and IMO a more intellegant long term purchase.

(also Ipod's red buttons look sweet with our EP's display!!)

But you can get a hook up, thats a different story... but full price vs. full price... hands down: I POD!

Fully agree, I use my iPod almost everyday

A-Phi-Si
07-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys. Just wondering what you thought about the receiver I'm entertaining. Any suggestions on others. I've ran the idea by some people at crutchfield.com and they think it's a solid setup.

raiyo
07-16-2004, 09:59 AM
iPod. Reason? So your HU is still stock. Doesnt attract thieves.

BarracksSi
07-17-2004, 07:02 PM
iPod. Reason? So your HU is still stock. Doesnt attract thieves.

That's why I hooked up my iPod to the stock head, and it's why I'm really hesitant to go for the Alpine setup when it gets released this fall.