PDA

View Full Version : A CDT fan is born.......

oogy-boogy
07-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Well, I picked up a set of 6 1/2" CDT EF-61CF's from 02sicivic for a great price (thanks again!). I was skeptical as I've been using MB Quarts coaxials and components for over 10 years. I was also skeptical as it included 3/4 titanium domes and I've always liked the 1" tweets. I was currently using a set of PSC-213 Premium 5 1/4" components with 1" tweeters and Musicomp crossovers. I figured I would do some additional door build up and sound deadening while I had the doors apart. They were already partially dynamtted but I was not happy with the results. Unfortunately, I did not have a camera available :(.

I started off by removing the door panels. I then made plexiglass "covers" for every hole on the door so as to create more of a sealed type enclosure to wake up my midbass response. I tapped holes in a few of the panels to better secure them. I used a silicone type adhesive to stick everything on. I was using silicone due to its integrity under extreme temperatures. I also opened up the door to accomodate my 6 1/2" 's. The magnet on the driver was fairly large so I fabricated some MDF 3/4" spacers.

I ended up mounting the crossover on one of the fabricate plexiglass covers and used some Dynamat on the back of the circuit board and crossover plastic to end any resonance issues. I covered all necessary screw and clip holes with masking tape. I also used aluminum foil on all of the connections to keep them clean. I filled up any small and unused holes with silicone. I masked off the door and car to keep everything clean. I used some plastic sheeting I had lying around.

Next up, I grabbed the 2 cans of rubberized undercoating I had picked up ($4.99 each). I used one can on each door skin and allowed an hour to dry. I then pulled off all the masking and replaced the door skins. The door skins fit perfectly and required no modifying for the new larger speakers.

I fired up the car and put in my test CD "Eagles - Hell Freezes over - Hotel California". All I can say is Holy Poop! Speakers sound gorgeous. I had the tweeter level on the crossovers set at 0db and it was perfect. I ended up putting the tweets in the OEM tweeter pods as I seemed to have the best imaging. I swiveled the tweets until I was at the perfect imaging point. The components only had 75 RMS each and they were incredible. Mid bass/mid range and highs blend perfectly. I found myself driving around yesterday with the sub off.... :shockm:

A+
I look forward to some of the HD series and a better amp.... ;)

Speck
07-12-2004, 07:49 AM
hehe, Yeah. CDTs are incredible.... just wait though, now the bug is starting to bite.... there are many more "unknown" manufacturers out there. Try finding someone with a set of Rainbow Pros, then you can cry a little :)

Enjoy!!!

-=speck=-

oogy-boogy
07-12-2004, 08:13 AM
I'll keep my "ears" out ;)

EnJaNir
07-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Ive been running 6.5 RCE216 in the front and rear and I find the sound to be amazing. By the way you are making these CDTs sound..ohh man I wish I could give my ears a treat.

Side note...I also use that CD and song to test my sounds