PDA

View Full Version : how to install HFP Hatch spoiler without drilling hole

dvs618
07-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Help!! I just got my HFP Hatch Spoiler and was reading instruction. It will require a hole drill in the middle for the 3rd brake light. I don't want to drill a hole on my baby :crym: Any idea??

Btrthnezr3
07-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Ok, I have this spoiler and installed it about a month ago.
You need to drill the hole. It's not that hard, and it can always be covered up with the stock spoiler at a later date.
They should have provided you with a template to help make sure you do it right...it's pretty much fullproof once you get the template out.
If you don't have a drill, find a friend with tools, I'm sure they could help you out.
STP (chris) did not drill his hole and is now having problems with his harness being cut through the way he directed it.
Just center punch the hole and drill it out...when you finish...go over it with some touch up paint to be sure it will not rust.
If you need any more help, I'd be happy to be of service...you can pm or email me
ARLaNier@svtn.com
Oh, and just so you know...I skipped the instruction about putting the decals on the inside of the hatch window..it's just for looks and you can only tell they are there from the inside. I did not do it because I didn't want to mess up my window tint.
Be sure and use the adhesive promotor and the 3m tape provided.

dvs618
07-14-2004, 10:22 AM
can you just run the brake wire thru of the the 4 screw that is suppose to hold the spoiler? I read somewhere for the Type R wing that a guy did something like that to avoid drilling.

Btrthnezr3
07-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that would be STP (Chris) but like I said he ended up messing up his harness and his spoiler rattles. If you drill, you'll have no worries when the install is complete. It will be on there nice and tight, the harness will work fine and if you ever need to change back to stock it will be really easy.

dvs618
07-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Kool thanks!!! My 04si white EP will now look tight!!! now it will hide the bubble window

Btrthnezr3
07-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Yes, it makes the entire shape of the car look different. Side by side we could not believe the difference when comparing a stock to an hfp spoiler/backhatch.

CSI02
07-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Try and keep some touch up paint on hand during the install and apply it around the new hole to help prevent future rusting, etc.

STP03BlueSI
07-14-2004, 01:48 PM
DRILL THE HOLE!!!!

The wires ended up gettin pinched, and shorted out a fues and i had no horn or taillights. also make sure you use the Adhisive Promoter.

Chris

BSEVEER
07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Drilling the hole seemed scary at first but it was no big deal. The adhesive promoter you guys are talking about to attach the weather stripping to the window, I didn't use both pieces of weather stripping stacked on top of each other. I only used one piece because it seemed like it was going to make it stick out too far at the bottom. So, mine isn't attached to the glass. I did install the blackout decals but I don't have tint yet. :m:

dvs618
07-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey Ya,

Just installed the HPF Spoiler. I just drilled the hole, even though it was painful with many heartache. At first my drill bit wasn't the right size, it was small like half the size. So I drill 2 hole and made it connect. then went in circle. It didn't look great but enough to fit the brake light piece. regardless, the spoiler cover it and it look nice!!! Most of all, it work and hold hella tight no looseness on it.

:shadesm:

ep3si02
07-17-2004, 02:00 PM
can you just run the brake wire thru of the the 4 screw that is suppose to hold the spoiler? I read somewhere for the Type R wing that a guy did something like that to avoid drilling.

i did that and so far i'm not having any problems... i put it thorugh the whole closest to the middle