PDA

View Full Version : blown in a day?

i-vtec04si
07-15-2004, 08:16 AM
yesterday i went and bought the 300$ pioneer deck with the moving screen savers a 250w audio bahn amp and a 10' ported sub audio bahn also. a recomended setup from circuit city. it hits nice in the hatch till last night the sub stoped working.. i believe that i blew it and am going to return it today. i will get a new one but just kinda confused as to why it would blow in one day...... i barely had it loud enough to seem like it would blow.

Speck
07-15-2004, 08:27 AM
IF it did blow, and just not shoddy installation work. The problem could be faulty equipment, happens sometimes, but It sounds like you did not break the sub in. When you first get a new speaker, any type, you should let it play at a very low level for around 20 hours of play time. This will allow the spider on the speaker to loosen up and allow the glue to burn down. Also, it helps the voice coils to stretch out and make the entire speaker flexible enough to be able to pound.

Oh, then there is a third option.... it's an AudioBahn. AKA: AudioCrap. The lower end models are not known for reliability and quality. Now, the upper models have me saying different things. Still won't own em. It's a Ricer audio line, IMHO.

-=speck=-

i-vtec04si
07-15-2004, 08:38 AM
yea i didnt let it brake in. the one i go get today i will let break in. and its true b/c to the audio i am a ricer i didnt even really want a sub or anything but its alright i wont play it so hard in the first week or so. thanks for your advice

Hondabuff
07-15-2004, 08:43 AM
I agree the audiobahn subs are very poor and blow with little power. Make sure it is not a Dual Voice coil sub. Cheap dvc subs are worthless. Ive worked at Best Buy for 8yrs as an Installations Mgr and deal with CC and Best Buys crap all day long. Exchange it for something like there MTX subs, they are a little better.

Si3
07-15-2004, 09:01 AM
This is interesting reading...

My friend just bought audiobahn 1000 watt amp & 1 12" sub - thing beats HARD AS HELL!!! but it will just cutoff after awhile for a 30 seconds or so... then it will work fine for a few songs... then cuts off again. The longer you let it play, the more frequent and long the cut off are.

any recomendations?

he bought it off Ebay, so i think he might just be S.O.L.

dontknow
07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
The amp is probably overheating

Speck
07-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Sounds like the amp is being driven into protection mode. Tell your friend that I know it's louder if you turn the gain all the way up, but that is going to kill the sub, back that gain down.

-=speck=-

TrippZ
07-15-2004, 10:24 AM
i have a 2 year warranty on my sub.. up goes the gain! lol

element2050
07-15-2004, 10:33 AM
yesterday i went and bought the 300$ pioneer deck with the moving screen savers a 250w audio bahn amp and a 10' ported sub audio bahn also. a recomended setup from circuit city. it hits nice in the hatch till last night the sub stoped working.. i believe that i blew it and am going to return it today. i will get a new one but just kinda confused as to why it would blow in one day...... i barely had it loud enough to seem like it would blow.
i did that with my L7. Its called you have to let it break in b4 bumping it. Wait like 1-2 weeks b4 cranking it up/ but i guess thats what happens when you push 2000+ watts to a sub right when you get it :)

Speck
07-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Trippz: If you do that, you might want to reset your gains when you take it in, cause this is considered user error :) And isn't covered.

Not only that, but it's going to sound like ass if you push it into clipping and past, you start cutting the curve from the sound wave.

-=speck=-

xjuxtapozx
05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
unless the wires got disconnected that happen to mine turned out the wires weren't long enough