PDA

View Full Version : bug sponge = swirls?

phlegyas
07-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Does using one of those bug remover sponges (the foam sponge with a netting around it) cause micromaring/swirls? im sure this has been asked before, but i cant seem to find it.
thanks.

raiyo
07-15-2004, 12:21 PM
never heard of the product. What is that sponge use for? Car wash or to remove "bugs?"

04SI27893
07-15-2004, 01:28 PM
i say dont use it, too course for paint.....just m2 cents worth

phlegyas
07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
never heard of the product. What is that sponge use for? Car wash or to remove "bugs?"

come on, you have to have heard of it.. its a little yellow rectangular sponge with a tight white netting around it that you use when you wash your car to help get the bugs off. i had some tar in various places on my car so i used it all around and now ive noticed some swirls. i dont think my regular 'sponge' i use is doing it.. doesnt seem abrasive enough. so i wondered if it was the bug sponge. i guess from now on ill only use it on the front bumper. as an alternative to the bug sponge ve used fabric softner sheets on other cars, but im too scared to use them on the EP heh..

edit: i found a pic of the bug sponge for you.. mine has a tighter netting than this. interesting note on the site though.. says that it should only be used on glass and chrome.. not recommended for paint. mine didnt say that when i bought it heh.. http://store4.yimg.com/I/premiumautocare_1798_1964228

raiyo
07-15-2004, 05:08 PM
nope, never heard or seen the product before. If it isn't a good product, then I guess it isnt well known right? Why not use a claybar to remove the tar that's on your car? Dunno if it'll work, but for sure it wont give u swirls.

BarracksSi
07-17-2004, 07:36 PM
I've got a bottle of Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover that I use when I get a crust of bugs. Spray a bunch on, let it sit for a minute or two, then wash it off. Works pretty well, although you really should rewax the area afterwards.

2-k-4blksi
05-04-2008, 02:52 PM
dont use it on paint i think its made for windshield bugs.....swirls are hard to get it if you using....

Breakep3
05-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Absolutely it does cause swirls. Use a mild bug and tar remover.

BobSassafrass
05-05-2008, 01:32 PM
There was a great detailed car care write up that we lost, it had info on what things to use and not to use. It said to not use sponges period because they can get dirt caught in them and consequently scratch the paint.

Breakep3
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll write one soon, but I refuse to use anything but Meguiars and Production Car Care.

Meaning for a entire write up.

jimmyjames
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I've used that bug remover sponge every wash for 5 years now (wore one out and had to buy another). No more swirls than I would have had with a regular sponge.
It is not the sponge that makes swirls anyway, it is the dirt you are taking off.
I find it is best to wash the car first with a regular sponge and then go back over again with this product. Make sure to try to rinse it out often.
I use it in my right hand and sponge mitt on the left for the second wash.
It is a great product for getting crap off and it is priced right. The netting is very soft material and is not harsh on the paint.

Here's what he is referring to:
http://www.jalycarcare.com/imagefile/pro/115735852737816.jpg

rolldic
05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
looks like a cheese grater, idont think that would ever come near my car!

kaisertj
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Ive never had issues either, looks alone doesnt mean it will scratch.

Breakep3
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM
If you insist upon using one, go with a NAME brand one.

I doubt jimmyjames will disagree that the majority of ones that are $3-4 dollars WILL indeed leave scratches, rather then the dirt / bugs it is removing.

Go with a Meguiars one.

simcivic08
05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
I'll write one soon, but I refuse to use anything but Meguiars and Production Car Care.

Meaning for a entire write up.

yeah do it :msmile: i like Meguiars too :mtongue:

03SIRGFXNB
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Ive used one for quite a while now and I dont believe its the sponge or the webbing that creates swirls as much as it is the tiny granules of sands and grit that gets stuck on the sponge, could happen as easily with a mitt or a cloth... that stuff is ultimately the stuff that causes the swirls... I recently asked a buddy of mine who used to detail cars in Florida and he suggested that if I ever get swirls to use a product like the Maguires swirl remover, said it works well... the sponges are priced right too because I think the intention is to use them a couple of times (washes), and then chucking them out... almost like a disposable item really...

MugsyTheGr8
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
ive always been told not to wash a car with a sponge because it doesnt give whatever is on your car a place to go, and instead use one of those wash mits that look kinda like a mop.

RedSiBaron
05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
ive got that on teh back of my wash sponge thingey, thankyou maguires...

i usually just use bug and tar remover on the bugs and bird poop before i wash, but i havnt done it in a while, ive gotta get some tiny tar specs off my doors...just sucks how long of a process washing my car has become because of my extreme attention to every little detail...

03SIRGFXNB
05-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Bought a clay bar and did the car myself and then threw a coat of high end wax on it, great results with the clay bar... I am going to do the other vehicle with it and do it every year, car felt showroom smooth afterwards and I threw the wax on and it rained yesterday, the beading action was impressive... I bought the armourall mitt with the shag-carpet spaghetti strands on one side and the bug sponge mesh on the other, worked well, didn't leave any scratches.

dofu2
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
I use a sponge that looks very similar to those in the kitchen for the dishes... and I prefer to keep the sponges in the kitchen. I'll stick with micro fiber for my car...

nrengle
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
THose bug sponges will introduce all kinds of micro marring and swirls. Best bet is to use some quick/instant detailer, and a microfiber cloth to remove the bugs each night/morning when you get home. The longer they stay on the paint the more chance you have of the acids in the bug guts eating into the clear coat.

And also a good coat of wax doesn't hurt, makes it harder for the bugs to stick. If you can, wash the car once a week, and remove the bugs ASAP, same with bird bombs, they will etch the clear too and cause discoloration.

BarracksSi
05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
And also a good coat of wax doesn't hurt, makes it harder for the bugs to stick.

+1

A good coat of wax is a definite must-do. Even when we were waxing our boots in the military for that OCD shine, I reminded the younger guys that its purpose was to be a "renewable surface" -- you can damage the wax a bit, but it's still just damage to the wax and not anything underneath.

JohnyBlaze
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Claying is great for removing bug and tar residue.

If your clearcoat has swirls, it's time for a machine polish / buff. Take it to a professional -- that stuff is no joke.

ShadySi
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I've used a fabric softner sheet on the ep with a little warm water it works wonders! Of course I waxed right after.. but it really takes them right off.