PDA

View Full Version : So i lowered my car..nothing hard but...

jimmied
07-15-2004, 08:30 PM
I tore the shit out the boots around the ball joints.

Why were the ball joints to break loose? I never would of imagined it being so hard, i used a seperator and all. Can anyone provide any insight?

Also can i just replace those boots without pulling suspension apart again. Can i just seperate ball joints and slide new ones in?

Funny Part...i almost knocked myself the funk out!! i was using all my might to release the ball joint, pressing hard down. feet in front to use all my weight also. thing broke loose, i go heading down at 9.8 ft/sec, bottom of chin/throat hits fender and a pillar intersection. i fall bounce back after the hit, looked like a wwe move, hit my wall with my back, fall left. get up with a nice cut on chin/throat. go inside to quickly digest some advil because i know i am going to feel that one in the morning.

Then i go to beat on it...never tightened my damn lugnuts!!! WTF was i thinking? must of hit my head!! LOL

All in all no problems besides the damn ball joint!!!!

BearNVa
07-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Lmao!!!! :d

atomic_rice
07-15-2004, 08:56 PM
hahahaha!!! o man....to think, the day that the ep actually killed someone... usually its the owner that usually kills the ep. :D glad to hear you didn't cut open ur jugular vein. that would suck :sadm:

Nossy
07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
They have a better type of seperator...you shouldn't have to pry on anything...you put the fork in the proper place and tighten a long screw which pries on it and breaks it loose...but anyways glad you got it worked out

goy091
07-15-2004, 09:52 PM
what did you use to seperate it? you should have used a pitman arm puller, not a pickle fork. those will def mess up the joints.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/2289.gif

Pitman arm puller

Nossy
07-15-2004, 10:43 PM
what did you use to seperate it? you should have used a pitman arm puller, not a pickle fork. those will def mess up the joints.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/2289.gif

Pitman arm puller

exactly...couldn't remember the name....

amctmg
07-15-2004, 11:12 PM
WTF? why would you separate the balljoints?

jimmied
07-15-2004, 11:35 PM
i should say tie rod end...eveyone knew what i meant...nazi...LOL

DarkSiRacer
07-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Yea you can put in new boots they're like 2-3 bucks a boot and if you used the pitman the boot shouldnt have been torn. I bet you used the fork seperator

jimmied
07-16-2004, 07:13 AM
yes i did, damn...i will pick up that tool also...can i replace them without pulling everything apart....meaning can i just release those and bolt them back up?

mhx
07-16-2004, 07:22 AM
doesnt autozone rent them?

03silverEP
07-16-2004, 07:36 AM
yup, just put a refundable deposit down

amctmg
07-16-2004, 09:09 AM
none of that is nessesary you just smack the arm of the strut that the tie rod goes into with a hammer, carefully.

CivilEngSI
07-16-2004, 09:12 AM
I know what you mean haha.. The damn bolt keeps spinning and the only way you can hold it is to put vice grips over the whole damn boot!!! How do you keep it from spinning?

DarkSiRacer
07-16-2004, 09:26 AM
jimmied, yes you can just remove the tie rod end, put the boot on and bolt is back up.

FurY
07-16-2004, 09:28 AM
dustinhurley and myself worked on my car last weekend trying to lower it. We had a HELL of a time getting off my front passenger wheel tierod. Glad everything generally worked out for you.

jimmied
07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
the driver was ok, i still tore it up but the passenger is when i got beat up...pain in the ass... i dont mind buying the tool because it adds to my collection. i actually bought some spring/strut compressors just to be safe, it is becoming a nice collection...

also thank you to guy who confirmed i can replace boots without tearingeverything apart again

Nossy
07-16-2004, 07:25 PM
i should say tie rod end...eveyone knew what i meant...nazi...LOL

Actually my name has nothing to do with the term "Nazi"...

Way back in highschool I earned the nickname "Nosferatu" taken from an old B&W vampire movie...eventually it got shortened to Nossy because it was shorter to type and shorter to say and I've been using as an online alias since that point...

jimmied
07-17-2004, 07:25 AM
i called you a "nazi" (as in spelling nazi, grammar nazi, etc) because you are breaking on balls ball joint/tie rod when everyone knows what i mean, you jsut had to go and point it out...sorry for miss understanding