PDA

View Full Version : Comptech Icebox vs. AEM/Injen CAI

H3 EP3
07-16-2004, 01:06 AM
which one is BETTER? icebox or aem/injen cai?

also, where's the cheapest place i can get any of those 3 from? (i want to compare prices before buying it). prices will help a lot :cool: . thanks.

DarkSiRacer
07-16-2004, 01:10 AM
The CAi's are cheaper than the Ice box iif your worried about price. They all work well it depends on your driving situation. places where it floods it may not be good t have a CAI. It floods where i'm at and i use the Injen. Its all preference the power gains are so close and so small you may not even feel it.

H3 EP3
07-16-2004, 01:22 AM
well if the icebox is better than aem/injen's cai, then id be willing to spend a couple more 20's to get it :cool: ...BUT if it puts out the SAME amount of power, then im just gonna go w/ the aem/injen cai.

can i get some prices please??? also, where to get it for those prices :p ;) . thanks...

SiR Phil
07-16-2004, 03:42 AM
Check sites like showstoppers.com, or even peruse eBay to get a feel for the prices.

gabe_
07-16-2004, 06:20 AM
well if the icebox is better than aem/injen's cai, then id be willing to spend a couple more 20's to get it :cool: ...BUT if it puts out the SAME amount of power, then im just gonna go w/ the aem/injen cai.

can i get some prices please??? also, where to get it for those prices :p ;) . thanks...

I have looked at many, many independant dyno charts, and for our cars the Injen seems to make the best power. From what I have seen, the Comptech seems to be behind both the Injen, and the AEM. Based on that information, I recently purchased an Injen CAI, and I am very happy with it.

Tenacious G
07-16-2004, 09:09 AM
I have looked at many, many independant dyno charts, and for our cars the Injen seems to make the best power. From what I have seen, the Comptech seems to be behind both the Injen, and the AEM. Based on that information, I recently purchased an Injen CAI, and I am very happy with it.

there really isn't that big of a difference between all the intakes. your talking about a 1-3 whp difference at the most.

with the exception of race headers vs. shorty headers, different bolt ons for the K20A3 pretty much will get you the same results.

just go with what you like. Injen and AEM obviously are cheaper and will provide a bigger peak HP gain, but the comptech will give you a more solid gain across the powerband. remember, when looking at a dyno, you want to look at the area under the curve. the best mods will increase the area the most, not just one part of the powerband. (i.e. you gain 7-8 whp at 6000 rpm, but don't gain anything from 2000-4000, catch my drift?)

gabe_
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
there really isn't that big of a difference between all the intakes. your talking about a 1-3 whp difference at the most.

with the exception of race headers vs. shorty headers, different bolt ons for the K20A3 pretty much will get you the same results.

just go with what you like. Injen and AEM obviously are cheaper and will provide a bigger peak HP gain, but the comptech will give you a more solid gain across the powerband. remember, when looking at a dyno, you want to look at the area under the curve. the best mods will increase the area the most, not just one part of the powerband. (i.e. you gain 7-8 whp at 6000 rpm, but don't gain anything from 2000-4000, catch my drift?)

Yes, I completely understand the area under the curve.

I haven't seen a conclusive dyno chart, where someone tested all 3 on the same dyno, on the same car, on the same day, back to back to back... But speaking from my general findings and comparisons (which are by no means scientific) the Injen looked to provide the best HP and Torque gains throughout the powerband.

When you are tuning an all motor Honda, 1-3 whp can be quite significant, IMO.

Tenacious G
07-16-2004, 09:17 AM
When you are tuning an all motor Honda, 1-3 whp can be quite significant, IMO.

i agree ... but if that difference is *only* coming at one spot on the powerband, it becomes less significant. i need to dyno my car to plot down an K20A3 with Icebox and Comptech exhaust to compare to someone else's I/E dyno plot.

gabe_
07-16-2004, 10:23 AM
i agree ... but if that difference is *only* coming at one spot on the powerband, it becomes less significant. i need to dyno my car to plot down an K20A3 with Icebox and Comptech exhaust to compare to someone else's I/E dyno plot.

Right, I understand if you have an intake that makes 3whp from 1k RPMs to redline, vs' something that makes 5 peak WHP at 6k, the 3whp throughout would be more desireable, and also cover a larger area under the curve.

Please do dyno your car. I would love to see what it puts down. I currently have the Injen CAI and 2.25 mid pipe into the stock muffler. I may schedule a couple pulls at the local dyno. I would love to compare charts with you.