PDA

View Full Version : Muffler question

Gasp23
11-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Guys,

I just want to know if I keep the OEM muffler and change the pipe that runs down and what improvements I could expect out of that. I like how the muffler looks so I'm mostly changing it for sound and some improvemnt.

Also I was wondering what do our cars look when they are in a lift, how does the exhaust turn and stuff. If anybody has pics post them please.

David K.
11-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Alot of guys, myself included, have replaced just the mid pipe on our cars. It's a simple, fairly cheap mod that gives good power. Plus it really improves the sound w/o being loud. The mid pipe is fairly straight, not too many bends, so installing a new one is not hard for any competent exhaust shop. I went with 2.25" and I'm really pleased with it.

Gasp23
11-04-2002, 12:49 PM
How much did u pay for your midpipe?

myeverlovinsir
11-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Here is a pic of my custom 2.25" midpipe. I would recomend this
to all.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid36/p7c9e2971283077c5d25c2bfe0e4cb52d/fd261ac5.jpg

Gasp23
11-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Excuse my stupidness, but what part is the mid pipe on that picture? Is it from the Cat all the way to the back? or is it from that last part that starts where the axel is?

What would you think is the estimate $$$ of this mod with labor? I want to save for this, definetely.

Suk02Si
11-04-2002, 04:05 PM
yeah, it's from the cat-back to the axle. I paid 70 bucks for mine.

Gasp23
11-05-2002, 12:54 PM
How much louder did your car get? Was it a bit louder or a lot louder without sounding like a fart can?

Please let me know, I think I'm doing this this weekend.

Moose
11-05-2002, 06:26 PM
I'm also gonna get mine done, but I'm not sure if any real power is to be gained. Anyway, if I'm planning on putting a DC header on this car, would the stock muffler and 2.25" piping suffice?

Suk02Si
11-05-2002, 10:26 PM
It's not loud at all; its a deeper tone. People have dynoed their cars with CAI/Header/Mid-pipe/Stock muffler and have gotten some nice gains - like 20hp or so.

Moose
11-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep you posted on my mod. By the way, how's your Neuspeed short shift adapter working out for you? Is there a noticible difference to be felt with this upgrade? Does shifting feedback suffer and/or do shifts become notchy or grind?

CleanBlackSi02
11-06-2002, 03:01 PM
My custom 2.25 midpipe is going on tomorrow with my stock muffler...replacing my Thermal R&D catback exhaust. It sounds great, but I like to be a bit more low-key. The Thermal is for sale by the way...2.25 piping. ;) I'll let you all know how my new piping sounds/performs tomorrow. I am getting mine made withOUT a resonator, similar to what MiamiJDM did. I want to be able to hear it, but faintly. The stock piping/muffler is just too quiet for me, so this should be a good compromise.

Suk02Si
11-06-2002, 03:30 PM
I love the short shift adapter. It's notchy, but not in a bad wa. You can feel it lock into gear. It just basically raises 2nd, 4th, and Rev. to where neutral used to be.

Moose
11-06-2002, 03:32 PM
How much did you pay for it and is the installation difficult for a non-techie?

Uncle Ben
11-06-2002, 06:46 PM
So basically what people are doing is cutting out the mid-muffler/resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe?

DownTheHatch
11-06-2002, 07:01 PM
I going with a full Buddy Club cat-back w/ removable silencer.

It's quiet with a deep throaty sound w/ silencer in, and for the day at the track you pull that thing out and let it roar.

Arospeed also released an exhaust valve, it work like a throttle body, it's a circle that opens wider or closes depending on what sound you want.

Check www.arospeed.com

CleanBlackSi02
11-06-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Ben
So basically what people are doing is cutting out the mid-muffler/resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe?
MY pipe will not have a resonator...I know people have done it both ways on the EP.

CleanBlackSi02
11-07-2002, 01:02 PM
-I got the mid-pipe made and installed today. I was waiting at the shop and it took forever! He had to make a new piece for his mandrel machine to get the bends 2.25".

-I'm back to the stock muffler and no resonator on the new mid-pipe. It sounds almost as deep as my Thermal at low RPM's but really screams in the middle of the powerband. It sounds pretty high pitched, but I THINK I like it better. I HOPE I do. It has more of a traditional Honda sound now. If you liked the B16, you'd probably like the sound of my car now. Before it was deeeeep. I don't wanna say bumble bee...but you know. Hey, if F1 racers and Ferrari's can sound like that, so can I.

-I felt a slightly better throttle response in the daytime heat today. We shall see how it is in the evening. I'm going to record myself launching and driving by so I can have a better sense of how it really sounds. So far, so good.

- My Thermal exhaust is still for sale and I should have some pics up for anyone that's interested. Sounds great...looks great. ;)

Gasp23
11-08-2002, 07:43 AM
how much was it? and where did you get it done?

I'm thinking if it's more than $100 I rather save it for a catback that I like.

CleanBlackSi02
11-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gasp23
how much was it? and where did you get it done?

I'm thinking if it's more than $100 I rather save it for a catback that I like.
$150 at certified muffler w/o the resonator.
- How about a Thermal R&D catback? I'll give you a Florida pickup discount. ;)

Peking
11-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Do you feel any vibration in your exhaust. I changed out my pipe for a 2.25 and changed my muffler. My muffler shakes at idile, and when I turn the car off the thing shakes like crazy, but only for that brief moment. Advice?

CleanBlackSi02
11-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Atlas1133
Do you feel any vibration in your exhaust. I changed out my pipe for a 2.25 and changed my muffler. My muffler shakes at idile, and when I turn the car off the thing shakes like crazy, but only for that brief moment. Advice?
I do feel vibration due to the fact that I don't have a resonator. There shouldn't be any rattling though.

-I'm getting a resonator put on tomorrow morning. He said he's going to use an existing muffler on the midpipe. Anyone else heard of this method?