PDA

View Full Version : Hatch weatherstrip leaking

JDM04EP3
07-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I have an 2004 EP3 and I have some wack ish going on with it ...... One of the first mods I made to it was taking everything out of the year hatch area for weight savings... This conisted of the spare tire, the jack pack, the carpet and that flimsy ass board that covers the spare ..... All has been well with my car so far ive had it for a few months now.... ( i was reading the factory defects discussion from the other day... the only things i can say are My radio skips, hard time closing doors when windows are all closed, and now the big one , which is the reason I am posting this thread.... somewere my hatch is leaking because for the 2nd time in 2 weeks i have found 2-3 inches of water in my back hatch were the spare tire well is ....!!!!!! this is major bullshit on Hondas part if you ask me !!!! it has raine4d twice in the past two weeks were I am from (delaware) after the first time it rained and I noticed it i thought maybe it was coming from underneath the car when I was driving but now i know that is not the case cause I went out this morning and not having drivin my car yet the back had 3 inches of watrer in it!!!!! Now keep in mind it started raing at about 6 am this morning and Iwent and check my car at 11 am so you would gather that its leaking pretty bad right ??? well I am pissed man i am going to honda first thing tommorrow morning and getting spomething done !!!! i expect better from honda this is my 6th honda and 2nd si and my new 04 si is my baby I take such good care of it its sick ... plus i spent 3 hours washing it yesterday and it goes and rains 8 hours later!!!! tell me that happens to other people too ... please so i dont go crazy !!!! and no I havent messed with anything on my rear hatch that would cause the leak ie... my weather stripping or sealent on the rear hatch door ... so I dont know why its leaking or even if that is were its leaking from... but i love my car and it kills me to think something bad is happening to it!!!! well people thanks for letting me get that out !!! I have been pissed all morning... I left a thread on hondatech.com also .... but any feedback or ideas you guys got on a quick fix till i gett to honda tommorrow would be great... I have to go to work and my car has to sit outside all night in the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! Drew- JDM04EP3@aol.com :shockm:

frac
07-18-2004, 11:11 AM
JDM,

I have an EK and a little after I bought it used, I found my whole tire well was filled with water!! WTF!

So I went on google and typed in "water in hatch area". BAM I came across civichatchback.com

Turns out it was common for EK's. Rain goes through the rear lights and drains into lights. Solution? I put a silicone bead down the lights and that solved the problem! Let me get a link to the thread and I will edit the post.

EDIT:
After I used silicone sealant, I got no leaks. I did take the picture a week ago but never got to uploading it. I'm going downsstairs right now! It will be posted in 10 mins!

EDIT:

Silicone yellow arrows. Bead all the way down. Smooth with finger.

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~wrg25/images/light%20copy.jpg

AliG-EP3
07-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Damn, I guess I'm gonna have to go buy some sealant today, try and do that, I sure as hell dont want any freakin water in my brand new car. Honda, I expected so much better, it's makin me sad.....

LiLxKeNnY
07-18-2004, 11:47 AM
uhhhh warrnatee that stuff ... bring it to honda and them reseal it!

freidaddy
07-18-2004, 11:51 AM
uhhhh warrnatee that stuff ... bring it to honda and them reseal it!

what he said, unless you already went over the waranty.

EnJaNir
07-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Cars have a warranty for a reason..

frac
07-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Well, for those who don't have a warrenty and this is happening to, thats how I solved it. If you have a warrenty, def do that. And, if this hasn't happened to you, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't happen to everyone.

R1/SiR
07-18-2004, 02:41 PM
My co worker has a Spec V and the same problem. He took the car in the first time, they said they fix it. Not so, after the second visit and no resolution we tackled it. We got a garden hose and sprayed at different points around the trunk and we eventually found it. At this point we could direct the dealer to the leak. Do some of the leg work yourself you may save time and frustration with the dealer.

LiLxKeNnY
07-18-2004, 02:50 PM
it was a good tip though