PDA

View Full Version : durabilty of cf hood

LiLxKeNnY
07-18-2004, 03:33 PM
i was at a club one nite and this dude leaned onto my CF hood ... i was curious if the hood can withstand the weight. i have a VIS cf hood ... there are no dents on it ... but i was just curious how duirable they are

Peking
07-18-2004, 05:17 PM
i was at a club one nite and this dude leaned onto my CF hood ... i was curious if the hood can withstand the weight. i have a VIS cf hood ... there are no dents on it ... but i was just curious how duirable they are

Dude, a good CF hood can take alot of abuse and weight. I saw vids of people dropping heavy objects on them, and driving cars/trucks over hoods. Now you will get scratches and cracks in the clear coat. But the hood will hold, also after traded my CF VIS hood to a friend. Her friends beat it with rubber hammers, their fists, and I was even told some kicking was used. Now don't ask me why they thought to do all this, but they did and the hood still looks like when I had it :)

FurY
07-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Good to know...

I'm thinking of getting the VIS cf hood and mugen replica wing....

aRz
07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Now you will get scratches and cracks in the clear coat. But the hood will hold, :)

i have 3 little cracks in the front of my vis cf hood... Peking or anyone maybe you can help me w/ a lil prob. if i re-clear coat the hood will it fix the cracks? :confused: :sadm:

Kis4KEN
07-18-2004, 05:47 PM
i have a cf mugen hood from showstoppers... i got into a front end collision... and my cf hood is still in one piece.

...although... there are a lot of cracks in the clear. i'd repair it, but then again... there are just too many. dammit

Peking
07-18-2004, 07:30 PM
i have 3 little cracks in the front of my vis cf hood... Peking or anyone maybe you can help me w/ a lil prob. if i re-clear coat the hood will it fix the cracks? :confused: :sadm:

I had the cracks too, do you remember the thread on the CF stuff (damage)? Cause someone posted a way that could help, but it seemed like work I wouldn't be able to do. So I just cut my losses and got rid of that hood, but I assume that OEM style or less exotic styles help keep CF stuff good longer.

aRz
07-18-2004, 08:55 PM
hmm.. there fairly small cracks not deep at all but still noticible...
im getting my car painted by the end of this month i was just wondering if anyone knew if re-clear'coating a carbon fiber hood will fix the small cracks.
if so i can ask the body shop to do so.

anyway thanx for the help peking :m:

DarkSiRacer
07-18-2004, 08:59 PM
I know it'll fix the semi deep scratch i got on it

Peking
07-18-2004, 10:05 PM
hmm.. there fairly small cracks not deep at all but still noticible...
im getting my car painted by the end of this month i was just wondering if anyone knew if re-clear'coating a carbon fiber hood will fix the small cracks.
if so i can ask the body shop to do so.

anyway thanx for the help peking :m:

Sorry that I was not any real help, but I think they would be able to sand that back down and put on a good couple of clear coats to look like new. But then the question comes up, how much?

aRz
07-19-2004, 09:10 AM
yeah.. hopefully cheap since their painting the whole car :angelm:

TrippZ
07-19-2004, 11:28 AM
arz did you ever decide on a color?

Prracer
07-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Dude, a good CF hood can take alot of abuse and weight. I saw vids of people dropping heavy objects on them, and driving cars/trucks over hoods. Now you will get scratches and cracks in the clear coat. But the hood will hold, also after traded my CF VIS hood to a friend. Her friends beat it with rubber hammers, their fists, and I was even told some kicking was used. Now don't ask me why they thought to do all this, but they did and the hood still looks like when I had it :)

that fiberimage hoods that they show that ....but the carbon its self can withstand alot ....but he clear coat epoxy is another thing that can actually crack on you..it wouldn't crack on if some one leans on it, but if hit hard enough it will crack ...that like the firsttime i order my mugen hood it came cracked on the edge carbon wasnt broken but it had a spyder crack on the edge of the coat

LiLxKeNnY
07-20-2004, 05:42 AM
wat prracer said!

LiLxKeNnY
07-20-2004, 07:11 AM
no more people leanin gonda my hood ... next time ... DONT THEY KNOW I GOT STEEL IN THE TRUNK WITH ME?!?!?

Retrophusion
07-20-2004, 08:23 AM
I live in North Dakota, Would a CF hood hold up well to extereme cold weather?It gets down to like -65F with wind chill where i live in winter. I have a crease in my hood and was considerind replacing it with a CF one but will it survive the snow, ice, and extreme cold? Any one know this.... :confused:

Prracer
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
I live in North Dakota, Would a CF hood hold up well to extereme cold weather?It gets down to like -65F with wind chill where i live in winter. I have a crease in my hood and was considerind replacing it with a CF one but will it survive the snow, ice, and extreme cold? Any one know this.... :confused:

i would replace it if cold enough cf is not as durable as you think when it comes to the cold .... but its has to be extreme cold its like graphite golf clubs you cant play withthose in extreme cold cause they will snap so imagine a hood..im not a 100 percent sure on it but i wouldnt risk it ....all i'm 100 percent sure is you cant put raw carbon fiber on the car bare metal after a while the carbon starts to eat the metal ....thats why they base coat everything thats touches the car before its wrapped ....they had that problem with airplanes back when they experimented withthe stuff after a couple of years the notice there was no more metal just the rivets..... carbon fiber had a negative charge and aluminium metal has a positive charge (carbon wins everytime after years of being there)

Accordexcpe95
07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
i would replace it if cold enough cf is not as durable as you think when it comes to the cold .... but its has to be extreme cold its like graphite golf clubs you cant play withthose in extreme cold cause they will snap so imagine a hood..im not a 100 percent sure on it but i wouldnt risk it ....all i'm 100 percent sure is you cant put raw carbon fiber on the car bare metal after a while the carbon starts to eat the metal ....thats why they base coat everything thats touches the car before its wrapped ....they had that problem with airplanes back when they experimented withthe stuff after a couple of years the notice there was no more metal just the rivets..... carbon fiber had a negative charge and aluminium metal has a positive charge (carbon wins everytime after years of being there)

nice info!! learned something new everyday at EPhatch :m:

LiLxKeNnY
07-20-2004, 02:48 PM
so will the hood hurt my car if i leave it on the car??? in general ... will cf eat my frame???

Prracer
07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
so will the hood hurt my car if i leave it on the car??? in general ... will cf eat my frame???

i started a panic lol..... no it wont hurt anything and the hood is already coated in epoxy and clear coat,plus the bottom inside of the hood is a fiberglass frame ....plus you gots to think the car is painted and clear coated too ...what i was talking about mainly applies to overlay custom project like im planning on wrapping my roof in carbon next year .... for that i have to base coat the roof before you lay the raw carbon on the roof.. so it mainly applies on custom projects where you put raw carbon on to a metal....always add a layer of base between the carbon and metal ....