PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my car... any ideas?

jbarket
07-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey guys,

My best guess is that I've roasted my clutch, but I'm really not sure. This car has been my first standard, and I have to admit it's gotten some punishment because of that. After all this time, of course, I've gotten better at things and don't punish it so much any more, but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Yesterday I was tooling around for about 5 minutes with a friend who's thinking about an EP and really likes me, and I noticed after I shifted I'd be sitting at the redline not really moving... pretty much like I was in neutral.

I didn't think too much of it... I figured I was just doing something dumb... but when I got back the car really smelt like burnt clutch. When I went to drive home that night, the car went nowhere. I can hear it click into gear when I shift into first or anything, but when I get on the pedal nothing happens. It revs, but it's just like being in neutral once again.

What really bothers me is when I'm in gear and get off the clutch, the car doesn't die. So once again, sounds like the thing won't leave neutral.

Any ideas? Is this what a dead clutch is like? Anyone else have this problem?

I'm obviously calling the dealership tomorrow to have it towed and looked at, but I think this is a good enough description that someone could give me a definitive answer.

Spitfire
07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
That's about the way it happened to my dad's 626 Turbo. Was slipping a little in 5th gear (i.e. revved up when you floor it in 5th), and then one night I went to take it out of the garage, and no motion. You could put it in gear with your foot completely off the clutch and it would not move.

Under warranty?

oldschoolimport
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Under warranty? most likely, NO, it falls under "normal" wear items.

03SiBlack
07-18-2004, 09:03 PM
it would depend on how long you you had it and the amount of miles like with my car i only but 700 miles on it and the clutch locked up on me and wouldnt want to go into third 75 percent of the time so it got fixed for free. Now i have 11000 miles on it and the only complaint is the grind 1st to second. Just bring it to honda and pray they will cover it under warrenty because this deffinitly looks like a clutch problem

jbarket
07-18-2004, 09:32 PM
I've had it for just over a year, and just passed 16k miles. I'm hoping they'll cover it under warranty, but if not, at least it's an opportunity for a nice clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Not that I'm hyped about spending money on that, but I'd love to have the pair anyway.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

03SiBlack
07-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I've had it for just over a year, and just passed 16k miles. I'm hoping they'll cover it under warranty, but if not, at least it's an opportunity for a nice clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Not that I'm hyped about spending money on that, but I'd love to have the pair anyway.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Yea just bring it to honda to see if they will warrenty it before you spend any money

siver-SI
07-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Yea just bring it to honda to see if they will warrenty it before you spend any money

I agree. Just play dumb and act like you have no idea what a cluch is, and do not tell them you smelt anything, or that you are new to a cluch.