PDA

View Full Version : road trips with turbo... good or bad?

o0LuNatiK
07-19-2004, 04:01 PM
hey fellow ephatchers. I am about to purchase a rev kit soon and just need your opinions... I love taking road trips and road trips love me, but would having a turbo'd ep be good at all for me driving like 3-7 hours non-stop? Let's keep in mind that turbo also helps fuel efficiency. But if I would run around 10 lbs boost on my trips, would that be good idea or not?

LiLxKeNnY
07-19-2004, 04:02 PM
i think ure ok ... as long as ure not WOT on it da whole time ....

oinojo
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
hey fellow ephatchers. I am about to purchase a rev kit soon and just need your opinions... I love taking road trips and road trips love me, but would having a turbo'd ep be good at all for me driving like 3-7 hours non-stop? Let's keep in mind that turbo also helps fuel efficiency. But if I would run around 10 lbs boost on my trips, would that be good idea or not?

you will be fine as long as you dont part throttle boost...when you get your rev hard kit make sure you buy the Guardian ECU from Cybernation...it is a self adjusting ecu and will cure and rich/lean problems...and having a turbo kit will not help with fuel economy...in all, you will lose a few mpg due to larger fuel injectors and a high demand in fuel and air...but with perfect tuning :D (guardian) :D you could have somewhat of the same fuel economy as a stock ep

LiLxKeNnY
07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
that makes a lot of sense ... who cares ... we're still hondas ... we can last!!! ... ur car might smell al il after though haha

o0LuNatiK
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
i am planning to get the rev kit and hondata Kpro. I wish there was a release date for the Guardian though. I want to get my kit asap but can't be waiting too long. I am just tired of sorry(srts) neons, vw r32, eclipse-t, tiberons, spec vs , many more messing around with me. I have pride in my honda powered EP. Along with street racing, I want to be able to climb those hills and mountains here in the east coast on my trips. I can't stand crawling up mountains while v6's are always passing me by :(.

i02si
07-19-2004, 05:15 PM
You'll be fine as long as u don't floor it, cause when your curising your just in vacum not boost.

o0LuNatiK
07-19-2004, 05:33 PM
oh, running on vaccuum das very true, but think about how the turbo turbine's always running. What the recommendation mileage wise on having a turbo rebuilt?

i02si
07-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Not anytime soon on are cars, like look at old turbo cars they run for a long time as long as u take care of it let it cool down when your on it hard or when ur on long drives and pull over. Shouldn't need one im guessing for at least 50-75k easy just depends on u thats how i feel about that.

o0LuNatiK
07-19-2004, 07:10 PM
appreciate it guys... i just want to make sure i am doing the right thing and not ending my car's life cycle short... if it was to be the case, always total engine rebuild (if ya know what i mean) :)

playap07
04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
ummm hummm! that was a good question in deed! very help full! so anyone with experience with this subject, do youy burn through gas like its water when you go on long trips or does it really last as long as you dont go boosting all the way through.

reason i ask is im going to drive my ep3 boosted (revhard) to cali to get it tuned in the future (summer 2008). from Clovis NM (Cannon afb) to some where in Socal = long ass drive!

SyckSiR
04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
ummm hummm! that was a good question in deed! very help full! so anyone with experience with this subject, do youy burn through gas like its water when you go on long trips or does it really last as long as you dont go boosting all the way through.

reason i ask is im going to drive my ep3 boosted (revhard) to cali to get it tuned in the future (summer 2008). from Clovis NM (Cannon afb) to some where in Socal = long ass drive!

lol, dude, the last post is from 04......:smash:

oinojo
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM

depending on how big your injectors are... id say gas mileage stays about the same if not better. The stock map alone wasnt really keen on gas mileage either. So with a tuned map for gas mileage, you should be able to get pretty good miles to the tank. Keep a light foot and lay off the boost.

PS. i was such a newb back in 04' repping guardian LOL!!! KPRO FTEW

playap07
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
alright! cool thanks for the info! i appriciate it!

Gcivicsi02
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
You should be fine on long travel.... I've traveled outta state a few times. Just make sure its tuned properly.. And don't race the whole way. You'll be ok.

clutch797
04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I did a few trips from austin to houston and a few from austin to Dallas. The only problem i had was my oil return line coming off and almost lost all my oil. But that was my fault b/c i did not install the line right with the an fittings.

dobbs02si
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Before it became a garage ornament I would put 700-1000 miles a week on mine. Started at 41k and shes about to trip 117k. You can see by my avi what i use mine for lol.

ep360890
04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Your gas mileage will be fine as long as your not constantly putting it into boost. Huge air means your car is gonna deliver huge fuel, so if you don't put it into boost you wont have the huge air part and the ecu wont need to deliver huge fuel. My srt-4 gets 28-30mpg if im just cruising at highway speeds without going into boost. However If my foot gets heavy my fuel gauge ends up on E real fast, and im sure it will be the same for you. Lets face it, its hard to keep a boosted car outta the boost.

boliviasi
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
you can allways get a k24

clutch797
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
what's getting a k24 have to do with it?

playap07
04-24-2008, 07:37 PM
what's getting a k24 have to do with it?

yea! i dont want that freak motor! k20a3 all the way baybi!:mwink:

boyurlazy
04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
if u drive normally, not flooring it, u wont even hit boost...

epshtielsl
04-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah, stay out of boost and you should be fine.

lleron
04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
The best gas mileage I have ever gotten was on the highway right after I installed my turbo. (I still have yet to figure that one out..) I got about 30mpg with 550s.