PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tie Bar Install

spookyoen
07-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I recently purchased a lower tie bar for my SI and was wondering if anything gets removed during the installation or if it just bolts right up behind the brace that is already there? The sway bar is attatched to the existing brace and the brace itself looks to be welded in place. So the tie bar just bolts in behind the brace? If that's the case I relly don't see what the point of the bar is now. Thanx in advance, any help is appreciated.

LiLxKeNnY
07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
arent there instructions ... its realli easy ... it goes between the sway bar ... 2 bolts i believe

raiyo
07-19-2004, 04:49 PM
In picture 1, use the jack to support the control arm. Remove the bolt in pic two. After the bolt is removed, use a screwdriver and stick it in there. That will make the control arm stay up and wont fall down. Leaving it in will also help you install the bolt back in alot easier. When screwing back in the bolt, make sure you push the bolt in while turning. If u don't, you'll be going in cranking forever.

LiLxKeNnY
07-19-2004, 04:53 PM
i try to put weight on the wheels ... coz when i installed the rear sway bar ... it was easier ... dont kno if that applies here

tcostello3
07-19-2004, 05:02 PM
The Neuspeed lower tie bar requires drilling & mounts on the large horizontal surface below your sway bar.

raiyo
07-19-2004, 05:05 PM
i try to put weight on the wheels ... coz when i installed the rear sway bar ... it was easier ... dont kno if that applies here
You could remove it, but it doesn't do much difference in this installation.

spookyoen
07-19-2004, 05:29 PM
ok, I had taken out the bolt for the control arm and mounted it there, it just seemed kind of dumb to have the bar right in front of the brace that's already there. Thanks for the help guys

raiyo
07-19-2004, 08:27 PM
it just seemed kind of dumb to have the bar right in front of the brace that's already there.

huh? Got any pics?

spookyoen
07-19-2004, 08:46 PM
I just tried to go take some pics but my camera's battery is dead :D ...I'll try to post some in the morning

spookyoen
07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
ok, the second of the two thumbnails that raiyo posted shows what I'm talking about. The bracket that the control arm's bushing fits inbetween, where the bolt goes through....that's what I was talking about. The tie bar just bolts up against that right?

raiyo
07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
yes, the tie bar just bolts aganist that. the bar does nothing in terms of feels. just extra bling and beef up the rear chassis for having a thicker sway bar.

FattyMcJ
07-20-2004, 01:19 AM
yes, the tie bar just bolts aganist that. the bar does nothing in terms of feels. just extra bling and beef up the rear chassis for having a thicker sway bar.

Yes...if you want a bigger sway bar...you'll probably need this. Because for some reason Honda decided to make that point on the chassis relatively weak (It's been known to actually bend at either end with a HUGE sway bar). If you're thinkin' of going above 22mm on the rear sway...it's almost a MUST HAVE.....but most people don't. That's for hard-core AutoXer's and Road Racers....so...for DD's....yeah, it's just bling. lol

LiLxKeNnY
07-20-2004, 06:25 AM
the DC sports jus bots up ... no drilling rite???

spookyoen
07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
the DC sports jus bots up ... no drilling rite???

I believe so, the DC sports bar is almost identical to the Megan Racing one I got. Just the Megan Racing bar cost me 22 dollars rather than DC being almost triple that. Both are aluminum so they still have the unfortunate ability to bend or dent(as explained to me by Raiyo) so that's why I just went with the less expensive. If by some chance it does bend I won't be too upset since it was that much dinero. The Megan Racing tie bar I got seems to have an equal degree of craftsmanship to the DC bar my friend has on his civic. I would recomend it due to its low cost and the fact that it comes in different colors (red, blue, polished and gunmetal) I went with the gunmetal so it wouldn't be as visible, I'm not concerned with that "bling" effect :D

jball
07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
i got the blue megan racing tie bar. i put it in this past weekend. it was easy, just use the jack and screwdriver method and you'll be fine. my buddy drove behind me afterward in his 350z and he said that his hid lights really made it bling.

ToingToing
07-20-2004, 12:59 PM
its a pretty easy install. i have the spoon rear tie bar and it didnt come with instructions so i had to figure out on my own.

im not sure what size of socket i used but hope this steps will help you install your rear tie bar.

1. lift the car up using your jack
2. use another jack to support the control arm (this way, the control arm dont really get out of place and it will be easier to put the bolts back.
3. loosen up the bolt (left or right, it doesnt really matter which you choose first but for which you are removing the bolt, make sure thats where you put the 2nd jack to support the control arm)
4. remove the bolt and slap the other end of your tie bar. now put the bolt back in and hit it with a hammer a bit. tighten it up to the part where it wouldn't get loosen up.
5. now, do the step 1-4 in the other side.
6. enjoy your ride.

hope that helps.
-randy