PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Suspension question...

johnkimble
07-19-2004, 08:27 PM
My dad has a 2001 Civic LX and I swear his rear struts are blown. They squeek, rattle and bottom out on bad roads. The car is completely stock. Since I put the Mugen SS on my Ep, I have a whole extra suspension in my garage... Now my question is, will my Rear EP shit fit right in with no problems in his car? They look exactly the same, I imagine the rear suspension works just like ours does in our cars. If anybody has any good information on this please post it up here, it will be very valuable. Also will it need to get aligned again or are they exactly the same?

Thanks!

mhx
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
i know the tein springs fit the our civics from those civics.. I dont know about the struts.. take one off and try it.. rear's are easy..

johnkimble
07-19-2004, 08:42 PM
i know the tein springs fit the our civics from those civics.. I dont know about the struts.. take one off and try it.. rear's are easy..
yeah i know its real easy to do.. just wanted to get some feedback before i got my fatass dirty

mhx
07-19-2004, 08:44 PM
would be a good thing to find out tho.. so ppl who get full coilovers can sell our shit to the lx's and ex.. im sure its a good upgrade for them fools

FattyMcJ
07-20-2004, 01:22 AM
would be a good thing to find out tho.. so ppl who get full coilovers can sell our shit to the lx's and ex.. im sure its a good upgrade for them fools

Excellent point. I remember on my old EM2 (2002 EX Coupe) I used lowering springs (2" drop) and within a week my rear shocks were TOAST...got Koni's, but I digress...lol. I'm SURE some Daily Driver EM2 that's slammed would LOVE to have your rear's....if more would not fit as well (don't think so).....you could probably pay for at least some of your new shocks by selling your stock shocks....hmm.....interesting idea..... :cool:

andy
07-20-2004, 06:39 AM
The Tein SS coilovers I'm using on my Si are EM2-specific and they fit fine (the
front struts had to have 1 bolt hole enlarged from 14mm->16mm, or something like
that, but the rears had no modifications).

cpu519
07-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Konis for the EP3 and EM2 have the same part number, so the suspension is interchangeable. The rear should fit with no problem. But, if EM2 front struts need to have a bolt hole enlarged to fit the EP, then EP struts might have too big of a hole for the EM2. That's not that big of a problem, racers have been doing that to allow camber changes. It may allow a more thorough alignment. Something to look into.

johnkimble
07-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all you guys' input.. What so far what I think i'm gonna do is put his stock springs on my stock struts so that the ride height should be the same. Keep in mind his car is completely stock, he doesn't race or even drive aggressively so its important for it to not be any kind of hassle for him... From what it sounds like this will work. Thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it. I'll be sure to update this thread when its done.