PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Sub/amp question. plz help

bigo711
07-20-2004, 12:08 PM
hi,
first of all, i know nothing about audio.
I jus want to get a nice, NOT EXPANSIVE sub for my car.
and i wanna get a sub between the size 10'-12'.
I have did some search.
And i found that this combination seems popular:
Alpine SWR-1221D Type R subs in a sealed box with an Alpine MRD-M500 amplifier.
what do u think?
and how much does it cost apporoximately?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, how do i choose a sub and amp?
and how do i know what amp to use for a sub?
thank you. plz help.

dj addicted
07-20-2004, 02:56 PM
the sub and amp choice are great.. the thing is... you would want to get the dual 4ohm one... not the dual 2 ohm one.. The alpine amp is not 1 ohm stable..its two ohm stable...

Oh, and look on ebay.. those subs and amp are always on sale.. The sub will be expensive to ship though because it is EXTREMELY heavy for a sub.

hope that helps a bit

Brettnyt
07-20-2004, 10:54 PM
DUDE! I just got 2 of these installed in my car today! the 2 ohm models! I am running the Alpine MRD-M501 to em, which is rated to 550 normally, but on my amps birth certificate, it says it put down 595 :D im sooooo happy with the setup. They pound HARD and CLEAN! very clean. I turned it up a lil in a parking garage and the whole place was rumblin. I highly reccomend these subs!

evilep3
07-21-2004, 12:39 AM
i am also running one 10" and it is more than enough in the ep. good choice of both sub and amp! go get em ;)

xxllplayallxx
04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
i say go with the plt-5

kokopuffs405
04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
i used to have a type R 10 inch.

I didnt like it that much.
Im actully trying to sell it right now. if you interested.

PM me.

CajunSi
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a Kicker CVR 12 in a bandpass and it sounds great. CVR not that high anymore.

xsimplistikaznx
04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
try to bring it to 1 ohm w/ the amp. i prefer the 10 inch over 12. heck i am trying to run an 8" inch ahah. i like clean setups and not showing the wires all over the place. those installs are straight sloppy. jl, jbl, orion, soundstream, diamond audio, alpine, coustic, focal, mtx, rockford fosgate, alphasonik...those are all on my list for subs and amps. not trying to be mean or anything, i just don't get bass from sony xplode or boss or pyle or other what they call it "flea market brands" (me not hating on flea markets, it just these car audio stuff are there all the time)

oh yeah and i think you got a pretty good setup. alpine type r. i like it

jimmyjames
04-29-2008, 07:35 AM
I am 97.6% sure the sub amp combo has been decided upon since this thread is 4 years old. If anyone really, really needs this info, please let me know and i'll open it back up for discussion.