PDA

View Full Version : double sided tape

02civicSI
07-20-2004, 06:03 PM
I have sideskirts and i didnt want to drill holes to put them on so I went the double sided tape route. At first I just used the double sided tape. My sideskirts just slid down (but not off) after 3 weeks of applying the tape. After some searching I found that adhesive promoter might help.

I just got the adhesive promoter today and redid my sideskirts. All I can say is WOW. What a big difference. My sideskirts are not going anywhere.

You have to prep the area you are going to use the promoter and double sided tape. Just clean it off real well with a bug/tar cleaner ($5 at NAPA). then put the adhesive promoter on both surfaces you inted to use. Then just put the double sided tape on. Very easy and straightforward.

Here is where I got the adhesive and promoter. I couldnt find the promoter at any auto shop ANYWHERE so I had to get it online. The double sided tape can be found anywhere. There are also various thicknesses of tape as well as three colors (white, grey, black).

[URL=http://www.handsontools.com/store/products/Refinish-Detailing/Adhesives-Bumper-Sealants/Attachment-Specialty-Tapes/3M06380-3M-Scotch-Mount

cease
07-20-2004, 06:09 PM
the stuff works great you shouldnt have any problems.

ULTRAMANIA
07-20-2004, 07:55 PM
thats what i got on my sideskirts and i had them well over a year now and i have had NO problems whatsoever... you can rely on them.. :)

downhil
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
ive used these products as well, they work good.

Makross
07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
something i might have to look into my shiet looks like its about to fall off thanks 02civicSI

team ERA 5
07-20-2004, 08:55 PM
damn dean! hook it up with a packet haha! ive been using the glue stick in the ding king gun...it was holding up until last week where it popped off again! i swear to you that stuff wont hold my skirts! ive tried everything! :crym:

KrypTOniTE
04-19-2008, 01:46 AM
I have sideskirts and i didnt want to drill holes to put them on so I went the double sided tape route. At first I just used the double sided tape. My sideskirts just slid down (but not off) after 3 weeks of applying the tape. After some searching I found that adhesive promoter might help.

I just got the adhesive promoter today and redid my sideskirts. All I can say is WOW. What a big difference. My sideskirts are not going anywhere.

You have to prep the area you are going to use the promoter and double sided tape. Just clean it off real well with a bug/tar cleaner ($5 at NAPA). then put the adhesive promoter on both surfaces you inted to use. Then just put the double sided tape on. Very easy and straightforward.

Here is where I got the adhesive and promoter. I couldnt find the promoter at any auto shop ANYWHERE so I had to get it online. The double sided tape can be found anywhere. There are also various thicknesses of tape as well as three colors (white, grey, black).

[URL=http://www.handsontools.com/store/products/Refinish-Detailing/Adhesives-Bumper-Sealants/Attachment-Specialty-Tapes/3M06380-3M-Scotch-Mount

Where can you get the promoter..... ?

talonXracer
04-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I used the adhesion promoter as well. It can be found at most auto-body supply stores. NAPA and some other autoparts stores carry it(not AutoZone style stores).

The trick is to use CLEAN the paint with 90% rubbing alcohol very well, then heat the area with a heat gun(just till the metal is warm), apply the promoter and install the sideskirt with several friends to administer constant pressure for 5-10 minutes(for the promoter to work)

socalsx
04-19-2008, 06:22 AM
I have to redo mine as well probably with this stuff. Has anyone noticed that when you tape the flare that hugs the body, some of it sticks out? kind of irritating considering the strongest tape was dark grey and my car is white :/

powdbyrice
04-19-2008, 07:11 AM
i used sticky clips, so i dont see any tape. i didn't tape around the edge of the skirt.

here's what i did so in the event that the tape fails, the skirt wont be dragging on the ground as i drive.

materials used:
- water heater strap (like $2 at hardware store)
- nuts, washers, bolts
- touch up paint

1) cut a piece of water heater strap that would fit over skirt and fender lip
2) painted strap, washers and nut head
3) drilled holes in skirt and fender lip
4) bent strap slightly so it would sit flush against skirt and lip

http://home.comcast.net/~powdbyrice/DSC03588.JPG

liquid cooled
04-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Id use 3m moulding tape over regular doublesided tape, it holds alot better and is weather resistant