PDA

View Full Version : Front struts issue

dustay
04-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Well my right front strut has been popping for the last week, so I finally gave up and took it to the shop. I missed ephatch desperately, because I sorely needed advice and was hoping to pick up some used Factory struts for my ride. Now I don't think I have the patience to wait for that. Anyways, the shop tells me my right front is blown and it is causing the right front to ride lower than the left. They insist it needs to be replaced along with the left one because it's not far from it's death either. Then here comes the shocking part, they tell me the price.
900 dollars!!!!!!!!!!:Cry:

I literally almost crapped my pants, that's not all 4 struts, that's 2, just 2! The main reason I wanted to go with factory, is because I have been planning on selling the Ep3 and figured I would leave it as stock as possible for potential buyers. Now I'm strongly contemplating finding a pair of aftermarket struts to put on the vehicle, probably Tokico Blues and trying to find a shop that will install them for me. Would this be an issue since the rears would still be Factory?

I would tackle the install myself, but I really think I lack the experience and I certainly think I lack a few of the necessary tools. No sense it purchasing new tools for a car I likely will not have in a few months. I really don't want to leave the ep3 family, honestly this site has a lot to do with why it's so hard for me to let it go. But I just can't bare having my Ep3 sit on the side of the road in my ghetto neighborhood anymore, just too much risk for a nice car. It's also putting too much stress on my wallet, so I have been looking at old integras and civics. Pretty tough to find anything decent here in Nebraska though, but I'm hoping to find something soon.

Sorry for side rant... Appreciate the help as always guys.

dustay
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
PS I forget which vendor had the cheapest Blues. Something like all four for under 400 bucks.

ep_hatcher_510
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
OO man thats expensive, you can get a set of decent coilovers for that. Just get a set of blues and be done with it.

ep_hatcher_510
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+SHOCK+ABSORBER

They sell each shock here for $120 if you want to stay with stock.

!@#$%
04-18-2008, 11:40 AM
My roommate just hit 45k miles on his GTI and the front upper strut top hat bushings completely fell apart. VW charged him (or his parents) $850 for bushings and labor. Shops are a ripoff.

dustay
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
My roommate just hit 45k miles on his GTI and the front upper strut top hat bushings completely fell apart. VW charged him (or his parents) $850 for bushings and labor. Shops are a ripoff.

yes, I'm starting to realize this. I couldn't believe it, I called the stealership and they were going to charge me like 700, never thought my shop was that over priced. I think it's time to find a new shop...

epcivicboy08
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Man, thats a lot of cash they're asking for!

My bro just had an accident with his EM2 and there was some front end damage along with one fender. we found a shop to buy all the parts, fix the radiator support, paint the new parts all for $900!!

just thought i'd put things in perspective as far what kind of things you can actually get for that kind of money.

definately time to look elsewhere.

MidnightRacer59
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
OO man thats expensive, you can get a set of decent coilovers for that. Just get a set of blues and be done with it.

agreed. No way I would pay $900 for stock...especially when my labor is so much cheaper! :mangel:

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I heard Tokico HP Blues were basically an OEM replacement. I would just go with those. Find someone in the local forums that you can meet up with and get the install done. Take him out to dinner or something afterwards. Installing new struts/shocks really isn't that bad...I'd help you out but im on the other side of the country lol.

ClouD
04-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Just do what epshtielsl said. It's alot better then laying down 900 smackaroos. I bet there is someone around you willing to help out.

Drew1d
04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
900 is too much.

Shocks (450 all four) Labor (350) Alignment (100)
then 900, but not just to replace the front 2 shocks. (Even if the shocks were $200 each the labor and alignment wouldn't make the other $500! No way, no how.

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
900 is too much.

Shocks (450 all four) Labor (350) Alignment (100)
then 900, but not just to replace the front 2 shocks. (Even if the shocks were $200 each the labor and alignment wouldn't make the other $500!

Damn $350 for labor? I got scammed. My friend bought me some wings after I installed his coilovers...:mmad:

Drew1d
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Damn $350 for labor? I got scammed. My friend bought me some wings after I installed his coilovers...:mmad:
You got foolied outlander.
http://media.southparkstudios.com/img/content/season4/416.jpg

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Meh, it's whatever I guess. At least I got rid of my farmer's tan and got a full stomach out of the deal. In retrospect I should have charged his ass. He's a rich bastard anyways...fucken IS300

mustclime
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
do the work your self.....:mcool:

ep_hatcher_510
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
just dont let the axle slip out, i hated that shit LOL:mmad:

epshtielsl
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
The first time I was installing springs on a friend's EP I did that. It took FOREVER to get that dame axle back into the tranny. Had to push/turn that thing for half the night. Now I just use a jack on the hub to keep it from falling.

xsimplistikaznx
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
9 bones ain't too bad compared to 3K for my clutch. but eh i know what you mean. still expensive

EPSU3
04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
yikes, my friends 330 ci strut broke, got one for $98. BMW parts less than honda? that's a crime.