PDA

View Full Version : skunk2 70mm too low

supercivician
04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
i just put in my skunk2 70mm exhaust and the join between pipes have about 3 inches in clearance

i'll post some pics later

4angrybadgers
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
3 inches? pfft. I had about 1.25" when I installed mine. Had to raise the coilovers about an inch before I could drive anywhere on MS/LA roads. :high5:

supercivician
04-18-2008, 04:53 PM
3 inches? pfft. I had about 1.25" when I installed mine. Had to raise the coilovers about an inch before I could drive anywhere on MS/LA roads. :high5:

how much clearance do you have now? i dont have coilover, just springs and will get new struts soon

AUTiger
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
^^^you going to get d-specs?

Princess
04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I have the regular Skunk2 cat-back exhaust and that hangs low enough. I could only imagine with the 70mm. If I had a fierce turbo setup I could rationalize the 70mm, otherwise I think it is too big and would contribute to a power loss, especially on the low end.

70 millimeters = 2.75590551 inches

AUTiger
04-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I have the regular Skunk2 cat-back exhaust and that hangs low enough. I could only imagine with the 70mm. If I had a fierce turbo setup I could rationalize the 70mm, otherwise I think it is too big and would contribute to a power loss, especially on the low end.

70 millimeters = 2.75590551 inches

he just bought a revhard stage 2 kit. I think 70mm will be just fine!! You could always try k-teller piping too.

rolldic
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
it seems to be like that with all aftermarket exhausts, i had a buddy club racing spec, and i had like 2" of clearance! i got rid of it, too much scrapage

supercivician
04-18-2008, 11:58 PM
i just took out my dc cat back exhaust for skunk2 70mm, and i never had a problem with dc.

Princess
04-19-2008, 12:15 AM
he just bought a revhard stage 2 kit. I think 70mm will be just fine!!

I think you're right.

4angrybadgers
04-19-2008, 12:31 AM
how much clearance do you have now? i dont have coilover, just springs and will get new struts soon
I have a good 2-2.5" inches right now, I think. I had the exhaust welded to my DCRH (apparently nobody in town could weld the larger Skunk2 flange onto the header), so that pulled it up a hair. Once I learned the bad spots around town I rarely ever scrape, although the few I've done were kinda bad, like "OMG is it still there?!?" bad.

it seems to be like that with all aftermarket exhausts, i had a buddy club racing spec, and i had like 2" of clearance! i got rid of it, too much scrapage
Depends on the exhaust. The Skunk2 70mm midpipe hangs lower than most.

I did a nice long review thread 6 months ago... I'll see if I can reconstruct it one day.

supercivician
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
here is the pic
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/doingyeyo/100_0343.jpg

that is without me sitting in it

thisisagame24
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
yea mine sits that low too. im on mugen SS wich is like 1.5 in drop

supercivician
04-19-2008, 02:39 PM
i have sportline

thisisagame24
04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
i believe thats a similar drop. even though it hangs so low the good thing about that is there is no annoying rattle when its raining like 90% of other after market cat backs do

supercivician
04-20-2008, 12:16 AM
im about to swap out the sportline and get some skunk2 coilover

shadowmd
04-20-2008, 03:12 AM
yea that exhaust def. sits a lil low, mine wasn't that low, but it was close

civictype_r04
04-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Wow that is low.:meek:

K20A EP3
05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Damn thats low, im glad mines not like that. Id be scrapin everywhere around here. I had to cut the flange off about 3" down then welded the extra flage that came with the kit to the midpipe to get it to fit to my RSX S DCRH. I think doing that it brought it up a little

playap07
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
i got the regualar skunk2 mega power exhaust! i love this baby! hey when your up and running i want to hear your turboed exhaust note aight! ill post a vid of mine when its on! hey and try not to go over some speed bumps or spike strips! you will fuck up you exhaust seriously! my friend did that and now he has a hole in his exhast from the spikes. lol:mbiggrin:

K20A EP3
05-31-2008, 03:23 PM
^ How did he manage that?

supercivician
05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
i got the regualar skunk2 mega power exhaust! i love this baby! hey when your up and running i want to hear your turboed exhaust note aight! ill post a vid of mine when its on! hey and try not to go over some speed bumps or spike strips! you will fuck up you exhaust seriously! my friend did that and now he has a hole in his exhast from the spikes. lol:mbiggrin:

i was driving around before the whole with the turbo, and i hitted potholes and manhole and i was pretty suprise it didnt give me a problem.\

but im kinda scare going to my friend's house because they have speed humps there.

im going to try to post a vid up, just gotta borrow a cam from my cousin.

mystery1
05-31-2008, 03:48 PM
i got this exhaust and from who knows me everyone knows im the skunk2 expert lol. My exhaust sits no where that low to the ground. But again you have to remember this exhaust is 70mm meaning its bigger then any other exhaust meaning it is gonna sit lower. Im thinking you prob welded the exhaust flange on the wrong angle...all you have to do is be off like quarter inch and thats gonna make it sit so much lower. I did mine at my shop and it took me about an hour or so to do it perfect. Dunno what to tell you. Your car is also fukin slammed so thats not gonna help you any.

JaY

supercivician
05-31-2008, 04:01 PM
i got this exhaust and from who knows me everyone knows im the skunk2 expert lol. My exhaust sits no where that low to the ground. But again you have to remember this exhaust is 70mm meaning its bigger then any other exhaust meaning it is gonna sit lower. Im thinking you prob welded the exhaust flange on the wrong angle...all you have to do is be off like quarter inch and thats gonna make it sit so much lower. I did mine at my shop and it took me about an hour or so to do it perfect. Dunno what to tell you. Your car is also fukin slammed so thats not gonna help you any.

JaY

i didnt use the flange...i thought i dont need the flange if im using the testpipe.

idk.

civictype_r04
05-31-2008, 06:37 PM

JaY

Jay your finally back on!

Princess
05-31-2008, 06:43 PM
That photo is without you sitting in the car. What if you have passengers? lol Dang... too low.

chunky
05-31-2008, 08:42 PM
ground clearance is exactly the reason why I'm re-doing my exhaust. The sound and performance of the 3" is great, but I can go to the 2.5" w/o losing much if any power, have less cabin drone, and a LOT more ground clearance.

Chazwick05
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
lol this is what i have to live with everyday... (it's my dd) 3" :mconfused:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/Chazwick05/P1010284edited.jpg

Chazwick05
06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
That photo is without you sitting in the car. What if you have passengers? lol Dang... too low.

lol when i drive home from college with all of my crap (pittsburgh to my town in nj, a 5 hour drive) i LITERALLY have just under an inch of clearance. it's scary as hell!

and when i have passengers (more than two), i have to avoid any shitty roads, and i always have to avoid speedbumps. the big speed humps i can creep over lol :mbiggrin:

talonXracer
06-01-2008, 06:55 PM
WOW !!!

Those are WAY to low! The Kteller 3" has mega more clearance than the exhausts pictured in this thread, and FAR cheaper than the Junk2.

Chazwick05
06-01-2008, 10:49 PM
WOW !!!

Those are WAY to low! The Kteller 3" has mega more clearance than the exhausts pictured in this thread, and FAR cheaper than the Junk2.

doug, mine's hung so high up it's not even funny. i have extra hangers so it doesn't bang off the underside of the car, but the pipe is literally sitting 1/4" off of the car. it can't possibly be tighter :mfrown:

4angrybadgers
06-02-2008, 05:44 AM
The height apparently depends on the skill of the welder. Mine hangs a bit low, but on the plus side I don't have to deal with the midpipe banging on the car. I had to get it welded at a redneck shop, because nobody else wanted to do it.

BTW, the "Junk2" crap is getting old... Say what you want about their other products, the Skunk2 exhaust is a good piece.