PDA

View Full Version : Oil Disaster!! Damn!!

HeelToePro
11-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Car just all of a sudden leaked all the oil from the engine. I know for sure its not the oil filter, the dealer will let me know tomorrow. What do you guys think? When I start the motor,oil leaks with pressure somewhere around the filter. Any suggrestions? For sure its not the filter. Oil sending unit maybe?

DocofMind
11-05-2002, 12:58 AM
You say its from around the filter but for sure its not the filter. How do you know its not the filter?

Sometimes, when people who dont know, remove the filter to install a new one, they forget to remove the old o-ring before install the new one.

Burgh
11-05-2002, 09:22 AM
I had a 5k service last week when they changed the oil and replaced the filter. The next morn driving into work I was blowing all kinds of smoke out the back and my ck engine light came on. Turned out that the seal on the oil filter had been damaged and I lost about 3 quarts of oil that morning. The engine went into some sort of "safe mode" and shutdown the i-vtec system but there didn't appear to be any damage.

Bottom line, if you're leaking oil on a brand new car it's probably related to the filter.

02blksi
11-05-2002, 02:29 PM
probably the old o ring theory, still stuck on their causing the oil filter not to seal properly and when the car is turned on and their is oil pressure, then its blowing past the oil o ring. just my thoughts -- --joe

JSIR
11-05-2002, 02:40 PM
some dealers are installing larger filters on our EP's and that can lead to problems, for some reason some dealers don't want to recognize the danger of doing that, despite being told by Honda not to do it.

cbecker333
11-05-2002, 03:16 PM
I'm going to switch to synthetic and start changing my own oil @ 10,000 miles....I was going to order honda oil filters, but I don't know where to go online. Does anybody know? this post about different filter sizes scared me - how do I make sure I'm buying the right honda oil filters? Oh, and the special honda wrench for filter removal - has anyone bought that?

jaydub
11-05-2002, 03:18 PM
www.handaaccessories.com has the oil filters for $4.xx

DocofMind
11-05-2002, 03:24 PM
I stock the JDM oil filters that come from Japan. There has been conclusive evidence that these work better the US versions.

They are a little more expensive at 6 bux a piece. Must be bought in a min of 5 pieces.

Mechanic
11-05-2002, 04:56 PM
We've been here before, no?

If you own an EP (K20 engine series), you must use Honda's part # 15400-PLM-A01 oil filter. If you install the larger (older style) filter (Honda part #15400-P0H-305), there's a good possibility that filter will eventually come in contact with the steering mechanism as you drive the car. If you crank the steering wheel over far enough, the linkage almost certainly punch a hole in the filter. Additionally, the only reason the 305 filter doesn't leak initially is because the inside diameter of the filter -- that portion that touches the engine block -- is almost the same diameter as the correct filter, and the 305 rubber gasket has just enough surface area to enable you to drive around on borrowed time.

AkronSi
11-06-2002, 06:57 AM
Doesn't the o-ring usually come off with the filter?

And, I was checking handaaccessories a while back and they describe the Si oil filter as being the "new updated part" from honda. Does anyone know if this is the smaller filter, or are they trying to pull a fast one and sell us the larger one?

Thanks.

AkronSi
11-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Just double checked handa-accessories and the oil filter they have listed is the old style filter. Part# 15400-P0H-305

Just thought you all should know.