PDA

View Full Version : Do All the Ep's have type-r suspension?

TezGari
07-10-2002, 09:44 AM
I heard 2 people say it but im not 100% sure. It would be good if they did but, i doubt.:confused:

SpacemanSpiff
07-10-2002, 09:50 AM
I remember reading in several places that Honda said the SI had the same suspension as the Type R. I just don't remember where I saw it, but it was one of the things that made me interested in the SI

sammysir
07-10-2002, 12:53 PM
what i have heard is that no its not type R suspension since you can even tell the noticable 1 inch lower wheel gap on the type R;s however the SiR's do have the same suspension found in the RSX Type S or thats what i have heard from many sources

Mechanic
07-10-2002, 04:48 PM
I really doubt that the Si and the CTR have the same suspension. The 17" CTR alloys are about 5 pounds heavier per wheel than our 15" wheels. I used to autocross a '84 V-dub GTI, and I can tell you from experience (and experimenting) that if you just change wheels to a larger diameter or width, and do not also change shocks and springs to compensate for the weight of the larger wheel, the car will handle poorly and the ride quality suffers too; the stock springs and shocks just can't cope with the additional weight.

SpacemanSpiff
07-10-2002, 05:39 PM
I found one of the articles that I had read about the SI having the same suspension tuning as the Type-R. I think it appeared in several Previews of the car. it must have been something the press was told, was Honda telling the truth or did the press misunderstand?

From Edmunds ( http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/47903/article.html ) :

"The suspension components have been tuned to provide sharper handling and increased stability, and Honda says the Si features the same suspension tuning used for the Civic Type-R."

SpacemanSpiff
07-10-2002, 05:59 PM
And here is the article from VTEC.net:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3554&page_number=5

Quote:
"Suspension
The 2002 Civic Type R has already been subjected to great praise for its suspension tuning. Fortunately, the suspension calibrations has been left virtually untouched for the Civic Si. The main difference is limited to Honda's choice of 15" all-season radials (P195/60R15s, to be exact) as opposed to the 17" high performance radials found on the Type R. "

Anyway, this looks like something that Honda was telling the press when they went on the preview junket. Is it true? Who knows...

Scivichatch02
07-10-2002, 10:55 PM
the civic type-r body structure is diffrent from the si to make it handle better and be lighter just as in the integra type-r and the gs-r but everything else sway bars, jabba jabba is the same exept we got stuck with some weak 15s that look like 13s and a 4-lug hub and the type-r has some titte boy 17s with the 5-lug.

punkdork
07-11-2002, 12:53 AM
If this is Type R suspension, Type R is shit. The dampers on this car are way underpowered (which really doesn't make sense with lighter wheels). When I hit a lumpy section of highway the car bobs up and down like nobody's business. The suspension is nice for stock... however I'm definitiely not satisfied with it as is.

HondaMan
07-11-2002, 10:09 PM
I sure hope it does and from my cornering adventures I would say the suspension is bad ass. There is a lot of things Honda should have left the same as the Type R, it has to cost extra to have all these different trim levels of the same basic car. Geez! Just make them all the same as the freaking Type-R next time Honda! hehe! :)

Mechanic
07-12-2002, 02:50 AM
I read the quote from SpacemanSpiff post. But I also agree with Porkdork about the shock (damper) control. It's hard to imagine that these shocks could cope with the increased inertia of 17" wheels and tires. As more of us go to aftermarket springs, shocks and alloys, we'll have a better feel (so to speak) for what's what.

SpacemanSpiff
07-12-2002, 07:22 AM
double post, sorry

SpacemanSpiff
07-12-2002, 07:24 AM
Well the stock SI is still the best handling car that I've owned, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I do remember that in one of the articles at vtec.net, they swapped out the wheels and tires and put on some 16" wheels. They claimed that:
"The car's handling improved tremendously. The amount of body roll was greatly reduced and the improvement in turn-in response was dramatic. Overall, it was a great improvement. "

Link:
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=3&article_id=10531

Has anyone upgraded their wheels & tires without upgrading the suspension?

punkdork
07-12-2002, 09:21 AM
plus sizing your wheels can definitely increase handling, especially taking into account the lower profile sidewall. That would decrease some body roll but I'l still afraid the shocks/dampers are underpowered.

HondaMan
07-12-2002, 09:21 AM
I've read similar things. Road and Track said, "Who put these Insight wheels on our Si?"...in other words they believed our cars would benefit greatly from 17-inch wheels & higher performance tires (like the Focus SVT & VW in the same test

punkdork
07-12-2002, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaMan
[B]I've read similar things. Road and Track said, "Who put these Insight wheels on our Si?"...in other words they believed our cars would benefit greatly from 17-inch wheels & higher performance tires (like the Focus SVT & VW in the same test

HondaMan
07-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Dude think about it. Your suspension is designed to absorb bumps and keep the wheels on the ground right? Doing that will require absorption of energy. The heavier the wheel, the more energy (momentum) it will have and the suspension will need to work harder to control the rebound and prevent the ricey bouncy ride.

Your "Dude think about it" comment can go the same with you. I never out right said I didn't believe your or anyone else's posts/facts/opinion on the subject. So, go back and please reread what I said before flaming me again.

Lastly, I was not being ridiculous...I was just stating my 2 cents worth (take it or leave it, simple as that)! :p

punkdork
07-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan

Your "Dude think about it" comment can go the same with you. I never out right said I didn't believe your or anyone else's posts/facts/opinion on the subject. So, go back and please reread what I said before flaming me again.

Lastly, I was not being ridiculous...I was just stating my 2 cents worth (take it or leave it, simple as that)! :p

Sorry about the attitude man... ever since I got on honda boards I've seen some really inane thoughts on how cars/engines/suspension work. I was trying to educate, guess I shoud've chosen a better method eh? :D

DynaSpeed
07-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Instead the springs go up and down and the ricer's head bobbles around foolishly. http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif Great Analogy!!

HondaMan
07-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Sorry about the attitude man... ever since I got on honda boards I've seen some really inane thoughts on how cars/engines/suspension work. I was trying to educate, guess I shoud've chosen a better method eh? :D

No worries! I agree with what you say...I just like my 2 cents worth I guess...hehe! :D

BlazeX12
07-12-2002, 03:20 PM
I think ppl get the attitude from other forums, like say clubsi! man those guys threw some flames like you wouldnt beleive, you had to flame back to be consider cool. Glad all was forgiven, i dont want another clubsi here....

punkdork
07-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by BlazeX12
I think ppl get the attitude from other forums, like say clubsi! man those guys threw some flames like you wouldnt beleive, you had to flame back to be consider cool. Glad all was forgiven, i dont want another clubsi here....

Most of the people on that forum are braindead too. I like the crowd here a LOT better. I was just grumpy this morning... :D