PDA

View Full Version : Need new tires Help!

Honda_boy83
04-18-2008, 12:08 PM
It is time for my wifes car to get new tires. I was going to go with Nitto Neo Gens but no one has them because they are on back order.

What do you guys think I should go with? I needed 205-40-17 all season non directional

The car is a 2000 Honda Civic EX daily driver lowered on Eibach springs and sturts.

Thanks for the help!

RedSiBaron
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
get falken ziex 512s while you can still find them, great tire thats being discontinued

supercivician
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
i thought they stop making 512, i have falken ze912 and they handle great in all weather, snow, rain, dry

RedSiBaron
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
well ive heard that you can still find them though they are discontinued...i was going to get 912s but i had to get tires right away and no one i called carried falken, so im stuck with these kumho pieces of shit...i can hear them sliding, though the rubber doesnt squeel much...they dont grip grip grip grip until they run out of grip then snap loose like a good performance tire, they just grip then start slowly sliding more and more...too big of an envelope...and they suck ass and im mad i own them

Honda_boy83
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
well ive heard that you can still find them though they are discontinued...i was going to get 912s but i had to get tires right away and no one i called carried falken, so im stuck with these kumho pieces of shit...i can hear them sliding, though the rubber doesnt squeel much...they dont grip grip grip grip until they run out of grip then snap loose like a good performance tire, they just grip then start slowly sliding more and more...too big of an envelope...and they suck ass and im mad i own them

dicount tires tried to get me to buy those. I will look for the 512 thanks

talonXracer
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I have had wonderfull success with the Kumho ASX. A real good tire at a very decent price.

Jpax
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I like the falken RT615s , but for the wet there Whoreable!

Honda_boy83
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
RedSiBaron Are these the tires you are talking about?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=ILSINT&yr=2000&cf=false&c=2&sw=false&pc=28756&tc=FALHZ7&rf=true&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&rd=17&vid=006795&ar=40

RedSiBaron
04-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I have had wonderfull success with the Kumho ASX. A real good tire at a very decent price.

ok, well they arent terrible, but i was running potenzas before i got the kumhos put on the new wheels, and i still prefered the bridgestone g009s over the kumhos, and i felt that the falkens were a better bang for the buck...

i dunno, with my new brake setup, i can lock up the brakes (since my abs isnt working, i think its a bad sensor or something, i dont care too much) and the kumhos just slid and slid in the dry, the bridgestones just STOPPED...i dunno, my first impressions with them makes me less than thrilled, but until im confident with my new suspension setup and ive had time to get on some familiar roads, i cant make a final decision on the kumhos, plus i have no clue yet how they do in the snow and wet... *shrug*

RedSiBaron Are these the tires you are talking about?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=ILSINT&yr=2000&cf=false&c=2&sw=false&pc=28756&tc=FALHZ7&rf=true&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&rd=17&vid=006795&ar=40

yup those are the ones, i was much happier with those, but im basing that off of my experience with my 1600lb 86si...but a lot of people with eps seem happy with them

ep3_si
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
ey try looking at edgeracing.com they have good deals on tires and name brand tires..

supercivician
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
ey try looking at edgeracing.com they have good deals on tires and name brand tires..

that is where i got mine

Honda_boy83
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
What does uni-directional tread mean?

If I had to pick between Falken ZE-512 and the FALKEN ZE-912 which one would be better for all season use? Or would I be better off waiting for the Nitto Neo Gens?

Thanks Guys

supercivician
04-18-2008, 05:09 PM

If I had to pick between Falken ZE-512 and the FALKEN ZE-912 which one would be better for all season use? Or would I be better off waiting for the Nitto Neo Gens?

Thanks Guys

i have to say ze912 hands down because few months ago in jersey had a nasty wet snow storm. when i was on highway i see cars spinning out left and right. i never loss control of the car and my tires were never spinning out of control.
they also handle great in rain doing 40 in a tight corner

Honda_boy83
04-18-2008, 05:19 PM
i have to say ze912 hands down because few months ago in jersey had a nasty wet snow storm. when i was on highway i see cars spinning out left and right. i never loss control of the car and my tires were never spinning out of control.
they also handle great in rain doing 40 in a tight corner

That's good to hear I live in Illinois and we get are far share of snow :frown:

AUTiger
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
i think I got my zx912's from discount tire for under 200 shipped. I just lucked out and went flat during their kick ass sale.

Honda_boy83
04-19-2008, 05:24 AM
I just ordered the falken ziex ze 912 from edgeracing.com Thank you for your help guys. Once I get them I will let everyone know how I like them.

ep3_si
04-19-2008, 05:32 AM
I just ordered the falken ziex ze 912 from edgeracing.com Thank you for your help guys. Once I get them I will let everyone know how I like them.

i just put mines on like for a week now they are pretty good..well i just needed performance and mileage so i went with these tires...btw mines are 225/45/17 no rubbing even with my megan coilovers in

civictype_r04
04-19-2008, 08:31 AM
My friend likes his kumho asx tires and they are pretty cheap.

powdbyrice
04-19-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks Guys

uni-directional are tires that have a tread pattern that specifically points forward like this -> (>>>) performance tires tend to be like this.

the "problem" with those is, you can only rotate front to back, unless you have the tires swapped from the rims on the left to the rims on the right.

non-directional tread can point forward or back, and the tires can be easily rotated from front to back, side to side, without removing the tires from the rims. touring tires and others that arent performance oriented are like this.

Honda_boy83
04-19-2008, 10:07 AM
uni-directional are tires that have a tread pattern that specifically points forward like this -> (>>>) performance tires tend to be like this.

the "problem" with those is, you can only rotate front to back, unless you have the tires swapped from the rims on the left to the rims on the right.

non-directional tread can point forward or back, and the tires can be easily rotated from front to back, side to side, without removing the tires from the rims. touring tires and others that arent performance oriented are like this.

That is what I thought but wasnt sure thanks for clearing that up