PDA

View Full Version : im about to install my HP headers any tips

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
im about to install my headers and tips or tricks? Also i was wondering do i loosen the bolts from the top then raise it up and do the rest from under.

thanks

Gibhunter
11-05-2002, 09:10 AM
Take pictures:D Sorry no tips here, but try www.clubrsx.com , do a search as I'm pretty sure someone posted the instructions there.

Ps. How long did you wait for it from the time you ordered it?

GeNoZiDe
11-05-2002, 09:46 AM
theres a step by step guide from installin headers from a base RSX (such as HP) only they used Ractive, to a 2k2 Si in this months HCI (Hot Compact & Imports
jus picked it up last night cuz im gonna do my install later this week once my AEM CAI arrives (doing em together)

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 11:44 AM
you dont have to reset the ecu do you?

GeNoZiDe
11-05-2002, 12:17 PM
nooope

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 01:56 PM
ok guys i need help bad i got all the bolts off the 5 on the top the 4 on the bottom 2 on the bottom that are the support brackits the bolts broke but any way i cant get the headers off ive tryed every thing they move but they wont pull back and off can any one help plz!!!

02blksi
11-05-2002, 02:00 PM
is it disconnected from the downpipe as well????

make sure you not only unbolt the bolts that hold the header to the head but also the bolts that hold it to the downpipe. then tap the headers with a mallet, to free it from the head if its tight then pull back evenly MAKE sure not to tilt it because it will prevent you from removing the header. remember pull straight back!! good luck --joe

JSIR
11-05-2002, 02:34 PM
to get the header to rotate out of the way, you have to loosen the support bracket. To acces the bolts to the support bracket you must remove the black debris shield that goes over the driveshaft, it's a bit of a pain, I think there are 3-4 bolts on it. Remove the debris shield, then it exposes two bolts for the header support bracket then the header will rotate out of the way as the support bracket is loose. How did you break two bolts ?, that sounds hard to do. It was hard to get the header out of place until I loosened the metal support bracket.

Joey

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 04:07 PM
this day sucked ive been working on my headers for about 9hrs i got them all on but it leaks from the block i guess i have to tightn them more but i dont have a tourq gun so im kinda fucked

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 04:09 PM
any thing i should know about tighting them is it possible to do it by hand also i dont have the screws for the support brackits im gona get them like tomarrow should it be ok to drive if i get it to stop leaking

JSIR
11-05-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm not totally sure where it is leaking on your car, but you should tighten the bolts/nuts on the header first, then the bolts on the collector and support bracket after. I guess with two broken bolts it would leak too. I think I have a leak on my car so I have ordered a new manifold gasket as they don't like to be used more than once in most applications . 9 hrs installing a header is torture, damn. I think I did mine in less than 2 hrs.

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
its leaking out the back of the block i broke the bottom 2 bolts down by the cat that brace the headers they dont actuly help with the seal i need a new gaskit i guess

when i start my car i can hear it leaking out i got the bolts as tight as i could by handi guess its not tight enuf

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 07:00 PM
did you guys move the down pipe out of the way them bolt up the headers them move the down pipe back and bolt it up

thanks

myeverlovinsir
11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
did you guys move the down pipe out of the way them bolt up the headers them move the down pipe back and bolt it up

thanks
Yes you will need to remove the down pipe out of the way first
and then remove the bolts from the head. In my case I hade to
remove the header from the top of the engine compartment.(DC sports)
You should have enough clearance with the HP's to get them out
the top or even the bottom mabey, but you probably already know this.
Question, how the hell did you break 2 bolts off? And as a side
note, the gaskets should not require replacing (they are too new)
If you have a leak now, its not likely a gasket problem, more
a secure fitament problem. Tension on the header bolts is 32lb-ft
torque. (Wrist tight will do, then crank em down again after 500 miles)
The downpipe connectors are spring tensioned and bottom out when tight.
I suspect you may have over tightened these and broke em in the
process.
Just a guess.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/pb16664795342d2cdb2e2538cc1992e6b/fd138fb0.jpg

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 07:33 PM
no man what happend is i broke the bracket bolts that stableize the lower part there a 4holes in the bottom 2 keep the seal 2 brace it i just broke the screw thank goes thought the brace so now half is stuck in the old header and i have half

i guess tomarrow i need to move the down pipe lossen the headers bolts and refit it my be the gasket moved or something i dont know but its blowing me

chunky
11-05-2002, 07:33 PM
well, this is kinda late, but if some of the bolts are difficult to remove, heat them with a small torch (about 12$ at home depot).

The heat causes the nut to expand, and then it comes off easier.

An alternative is to do it when the engine is hot, but that's just asking for burn scars.

Also, when you re-assemble everything, put anti-sieze compound (try to find some made specifically for high temp threads) on all the nuts/bolts. this will make it 100x easier to remove them in the future, and prevent broken bolts.

myeverlovinsir
11-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Yep, the pic I posted shows all the bolts, and know what your
up against now. If you can't get them out by being able to grab
a piece of the broken end and using heat to expand the nuts....

Then my suggestion is to drill them out. later

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 08:01 PM
but what im asking is do you think it would be ok to leave it with no suppoer bracket bolts for like 2 days?

myeverlovinsir
11-05-2002, 08:12 PM
oH YEAH. dam that is not a problem. the spring bolts will bounce
a little more when you rev it hard, and you will be leaking.
I would not worry about it if your gonna get it fixed in a couple
of days. cheers.

2k2civicSi
11-05-2002, 08:17 PM
thanks alot for all your help