PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for a Honda or Acura Dealer to re-key an immobilizer

talonXracer
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Re-keying an Immobilizer

This is the standard Honda immobilizer reprogramming process. This process also works matching an 02-04 ECU to an 05 or 06 RSX-S. You will use the VIN number from your 2005-2006 Acura. The VIN number is not stored in the 02-04 ECU.
Hondata cannot provide any assistance with the immobilizer programming process using the Honda HDS diagnostic tool. This information is provided on an as is basis.

In short Honda diagnostic tool reads the key codes from the immobilizer unit around the ignition barrel and writes them to the ECU. The transponder codes in the keys must match the codes in the immobilizer and match the codes in the ECU for the car to start

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Drive car to dealer with K-Pro and immobilizer disabled
2. Enable immobilizer with K-Manager
3. Switch ignition key off then on again
4. Verify that car will not start

Acura Technician types your car's VIN number into their desktop PC connected to Honda
The desktop PC returns a code which allows the immobilizer to be reprogrammed for your VIN number.

The Acura technician connects the diagnostic tool to your RSX OBD2 port. The tool should be the newer touch screen Windows based tablet. The earlier diagnostic tool with the 10cm by 10cm black and white screen is less reliable for reprogramming immobilizers.

Your VIN number is entered, you go to the immobilizer reprogramming screen and select replace ECM.

From the system selection menu choose PGM FI.

Select Data list.

Scroll to the bottom and check the status of the immobilizer. It should read BAN with a Red dot. If it does, exit the data list and press IMMOBI button. (see below)

If it reads RUN then the immobilizer has not been enabled in the K-Manager software.

Quit then relaunch K-Manager
Open your calibration
Ensure the immobilizer is enabled as above
upload to the ECU

If the immobilizer still reads RUN after this process:
.Quit then relaunch K-Manager
.Online, Tools, Erase ECU (clear security)
.Open your calibration
.Ensure the immobilizer is enabled as above upload to the ECU

.While uploading, the Honda scan tool will not display the data list.

Exit the data list and press IMMOBI.

Do not use System Check. It often returns incorrect information. Go straight to the Replace ECM PCM menu. Follow the instructions and enter the immobilzer reprogram code as provided by Honda.

Tnhatch03
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
yay doug!

talonXracer
04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I had a copy of the PDF that Hondata originally posted, but that was like three laptops ago and my be lost as Hondata has a dead link on there site to the form.

MR.Pizza
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Good work bro, keep them coming.:hungry:

blackhatchsi
04-18-2008, 05:13 PM
You know Doug, when I saw this thread, I thought, "With the rediculous amount of knowledge he has, he could probably replace most of the info that was lost all by himself." :hail:

AUTiger
04-18-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree, just make an Official EP Bible. Doug is god.

No offense to the religious individuals out there.

profresh
04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
sorry to ask but wasn't there a pdf file for this? i dont remember what its called but im looking for it. anyone know what im talking about?

talonXracer
04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
As I mentioned above, Hondata had the PDF, but the link to it on their site is dead.

ALL MotoR Ep3
04-23-2008, 05:32 PM
great info bump this to the top

skoundrelusa
07-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Dumb question: So lets say I just did a K20A2 swap into an EP3 and go to the dealership to synch/re-key a virgin PRB ECU to my EP3, do I need the VIN from the RSX-S?

frm_808
07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
nice J O B man

ecsahs3
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
The VIN number is not stored in the 02-04 ECU.

Talon, does this go for EP's also or just RSX's? So...hmm...just say, hypothetically, Dick takes his '02 EP to get smogged but they use a different car to pass him. They can't read the VIN off the ECU with the Dyno-scan?

ep-unit
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Im running a type-s kpro'd ecu and went to the dealer and asked for a re-sync so my immobilizer will stop flashing and they didnt know what I was talking about, but my question is what if I used my original ep ecu that was kpro'd instead of my current PRB ecu will I still need to get re-sync? because Im thinking I shouldve just kpro'd my orginal ecu instead of getting a prb.

Jmage
04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I got quoted 95$ at my local dealer to do this... It's seems pretty exagerated only for this. How much should it cost normally?

Got another question. Can you get it "reprogrammed" before sending it to Hondata as if I buy a used one from someone else?

Jmage
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Finally got it reprogrammed for 45$ at another Dealer, so try different dealership in your area you might find one who is used to reprogramme ECU.

But you CANNOT reuse your old ECU because the code will be CHANGED.... Didn't really search for that before and today I find this post by talonXracer (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60801-ECU-blues...&p=830626&viewfull=1#post830626) after getting my new ecu reprogrammed. I thought I could use both so I could Kpro one and sell it easily one day but now I'll need to trade my old one for a Kpro'd ECU to save a lil lol

Me and the Technician at honda tried many times, I even showed him this thread on my cellphone and we followed all the steps and it seems like there is NO way to have 2 ECU synced to 1 IMMO.

Lesson learned the hard way :mconfused:

klik
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Any place in the bay area honda dealer knows how to reprogram my kpro ecu without charging me an arm and a leg.

EUB44
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Also I need one around philly

HFPcivicSI
05-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Would this apply if I send MY original ecu to hondata? Do I still need the imobi reprogrammed by honda? Since I have multiple vehicles, I can be down a civic SI for a week.

revned3182
09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
just got my hondata kpro v3 prb installed.
Im literally at honda dealership, getting my keys reprogrammed right at the moment...

then i thought, since i have a base map reg. gas downloaded running on my a3 engine,
do i need to do do this immobilizer key reprogramming again once i swap in a k24a2 ???

about inertia: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?70218-INERTIA-s-introduction

SkareKrow
09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
just got my hondata kpro v3 prb installed.
Im literally at honda dealership, getting my keys reprogrammed right at the moment...

then i thought, since i have a base map reg. gas downloaded running on my a3 engine,
do i need to do do this immobilizer key reprogramming again once i swap in a k24a2 ???

about inertia: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?70218-INERTIA-s-introduction

You shouldnt have to unless your.changing the ecu again.

¶SK¬