PDA

View Full Version : the famous VTEC light

i-WERKS
11-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Just want to know if anyone has done this. For those who don't know what it is. It's a light that comes on when vtec is engaged. I'm curious about this and want to try it. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this? Will it work with our vtec system?

DocofMind
11-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you are looking for a shift light. You can set them to any pre set RPM. There are many kinds available. I like the one from Pivot.

i-WERKS
11-05-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm not looking for a shift light. I actually have the one by pivot.
I'm looking for a way to wire an led to light up with the vtec is engaged.

fASTBACK
11-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
Just want to know if anyone has done this. For those who don't know what it is. It's a light that comes on when vtec is engaged. I'm curious about this and want to try it. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this? Will it work with our vtec system?

I know what you are talking about. It's a light that comes on when V-tec engauges. I saw them all over ebay a while back. It's acully a dash kit and looks like one of the warning lights inside of the dash. It says v-tec on it. You know how we have an engine light in our dash. Well its the same thing but says v-tec on it.

i-WERKS
11-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. As far as I know, It's only requires an LED wired to the Vtec Solenoid but I don't know where I can find that or how to tap it in.

DocofMind
11-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Doesnt Vtec kick in on the EP at 5k? Cant you just set the shift light at 5k?

Too many lights going on, lol, no?

i-WERKS
11-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind
Doesnt Vtec kick in on the EP at 5k? Cant you just set the shift light at 5k?

Too many lights going on, lol, no?

lol then what would I use for a shift light if I want it to go off at 6.7 k.

Here's what I want to do. I just got myself a takara choro q CTR. I wired an LED into the Headlights and just for fun, I want it to light up when the Vtec kicks in.

ApexinSi
11-05-2002, 01:50 PM
umm....fellas, correct me if i'm wrong, but i though vtec was on all the time? i-vtec....intelligent-vtec

SIUL8R
11-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Here's the straight poop on our I-Vtec, (as quoted from Sport Compact Car) the rsx's motor has true intake variable cam timing and lift. at ~6000 rpm, the lifters stop following the wussy little lobes that they follow at low rpm's that gives the motor good gas mileage, then engages big old honkin cam lobes, and varies the intake and exhaust timing accordingly. Our motor (the K20C) has something similar, also called I-Vtec. The motor follows the wussy little cam lobes at speeds below 2800 rpm for good gas mileage. Then at 2800+ the motor engages a little bit more agressive cam lobes on only the intake side, and varies the timing accordingly. That's it, no big high end, (although it still is very good for a 2 liter) but helps get good gas mileage as well as low rpm torque while not sacrificingtoomuch high rpm horsepower.:'( :o

i02si
11-05-2002, 03:25 PM
i have a autometer shift light but i can't figure out were the wire for the rpm senor goes to make the light come on help if u can?

Pradamuimui
11-05-2002, 03:42 PM
The famous Vtec light?? WTF?? If its so damn famous how come this is the first time that Ive heard anything about it?? :D

myeverlovinsir
11-05-2002, 04:26 PM
As you all may have noticed there is a surge in engine power
near 4800 rpm. Whether this is vtec or not, i think this is the
sweetest spot on our rides right now. I have only seen articles and
feedback on what the base RSX engine i-vtec specs are.
(very diff. intake with smaller dual runners)
I am still waiting for a good explanation of
what ever is happening at 4800 rpm. When Hondata gets finished
building the chip mods to the Si(R) then hopefully we will have
a better understanding of what is going on at 4800 or there abouts.
(I'm hoping this IS i-vtec large lifters and not just cam overlap)

GP Si
11-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Yea i had one in my 2000 Si it was a blue autometer shift light that came on when i hit vtec the easiest mod to do just wire it to your vtec wire

ConeCrazy02
11-05-2002, 10:43 PM
I have one in my ep. It is not what I had expect it to be. The LED comes on @ 2200rpm, which due to the VCT.

SLOlife
11-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
As you all may have noticed there is a surge in engine power
near 4800 rpm. Whether this is vtec or not, i think this is the
sweetest spot on our rides right now. I have only seen articles and
feedback on what the base RSX engine i-vtec specs are.
(very diff. intake with smaller dual runners)
I am still waiting for a good explanation of
what ever is happening at 4800 rpm. When Hondata gets finished
building the chip mods to the Si(R) then hopefully we will have
a better understanding of what is going on at 4800 or there abouts.
(I'm hoping this IS i-vtec large lifters and not just cam overlap)

Take a look at this thread maybe this will help? (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=4332)

But the article is refering to the Element, but I think it is close enough technology.

myeverlovinsir
11-07-2002, 10:02 PM
I wish I could believe that there were some explanation here.
My dilema is still there, after reading the thread on the ELEMENT
(5 times) and following every other available link on that site.
I am still puzzled as to what is happening with our rides, I
know some have responded with the same feelings, just don't
want to label or prejudge what is going on at 4800 rpm (and above).

I will be patient and hope my hondata dealer will have more
on this next week.

btw: thanks for providing the link SLOlife.

HK_EP3
11-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by SIUL8R
Here's the straight poop on our I-Vtec, (as quoted from Sport Compact Car) the rsx's motor has true intake variable cam timing and lift. at ~6000 rpm, the lifters stop following the wussy little lobes that they follow at low rpm's that gives the motor good gas mileage, then engages big old honkin cam lobes, and varies the intake and exhaust timing accordingly. Our motor (the K20C) has something similar, also called I-Vtec. The motor follows the wussy little cam lobes at speeds below 2800 rpm for good gas mileage. Then at 2800+ the motor engages a little bit more agressive cam lobes on only the intake side, and varies the timing accordingly. That's it, no big high end, (although it still is very good for a 2 liter) but helps get good gas mileage as well as low rpm torque while not sacrificingtoomuch high rpm horsepower.:'( :o
...? Our Si have valve control only at our intake valve, while the RSX have it on their intake and exhuast valve.