PDA

View Full Version : Advanced steering rack question...clunking now!?

RedSiBaron
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
alright heres the deal, ive always had the creak, ever since i got the car at 45k, it didnt show up until 47k, but you know how the creak is, sometimes it will go away for a lil bit...

but heres my question, i was out driving a lot tonight, and on my way back to my appt. i started getting a clunk sound when i turned the wheel...of course my first thought was "are my new endlinks busted already, or did my passenger side outter cv get all effed up"

but heres the thing, my cv boot is still in place, i know its not torn, and it didnt throw any grease in my wheel so im assuming the boot is in place, so i dont see why the cv joint would develop an issue

though ishould mention that i overpacked the boot when i rebuilt it and it did force some out of the boot, though there is no damage to the boot and the band is fully tightened and the boot never slipped out of place...honda techs supported this theory

on with the next bit of logic...i checked my endlinks, they are not broken and appear to still be totally tight and in place...they were allways a little noisy but w/e...i also checked my tie rod ends, which are find and the boots are fine (they are also NEW with about 800miles on them)

HERES THE DEAL
after hte car was parked for a few minutes i turned on the car and was turning the wheel, i would hear the creak of course, but when i stopped loading the wheel i heard the clunk, and it happened in both directions...

could this be advanced wear in the rack? does anyone else get a CLUNK in their rack??

i never bothered to pay attention to steering rack threads after i knew what the creak was, so i dont know if this had been covered before the crash...

what do you guys think?

MugsyTheGr8
04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
idk if they are any tsb on the issue but ill look into it on monday.

talonXracer
04-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I would have a buddy start the car and turn the wheel as you look and listen with your head down near the wheel. Sounds like tierod ends or CV's to me.

RedSiBaron
04-19-2008, 04:44 AM
yah im really worried that its my cv...its not the tierod, those are honda and new and good condition, they are still shiny...ill be under the car in a few, so ill post up if i find anything tonight

The new Paul03
04-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Do our cars have a seat or rubber piece on the top of the front shock. My moms buick used to make that noise when she turned and the seat at the top of the shock needed to be replaced.

RedSiBaron
04-19-2008, 11:57 AM
so i got under the car and i cant find anything, both axles look good, inner and outter cvs...the endlinks on the sways are good (though that wouldnt make a difference when it wasnt moving) and both of the tie rod ends are good...im thinking that it really could be the right front axle outter cv...it happens when i load that side while moving...so...thats my best bet...i wish i had just bought new or rebuilt axles instead of doing it myself, though ive rebuilt plenty of axles before and didnt think that i could screw that one up...shit i dont have my tools with me in philly to change an axle, this isnt fun, guess ill have to go buy a prybar and rent a balljoint tool...oh and a punch...AWESOME...

RedSiBaron
04-20-2008, 03:23 PM
the clunk went away what the hell...im checking all my bolts tomorrow...maybe the dumb kids that did my alignment screwed it up...

Windchaser
04-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I had this happen to me as well. I went back and torqued down my tie rod ends to 33 ft/lbs and they went away

:shrug:

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 06:07 AM
I had this happen to me as well. I went back and torqued down my tie rod ends to 33 ft/lbs and they went away

:shrug:

do you mean the backup nut on the tie rod end? or just the castillated nut? ill do both, but id like to know for logical problem solving's sake...thats interesting, cuz i torqued them down right, but the dumb kids at the tie place prolly didnt, im still so mad i was forced to take it to these guys, only ones with remotely good tires in stock, but of course they scratched my wheels and it sounds like they didnt torque my stuff back down at all...god i hate dumb kids who are allowed to have wrenches (im old and bitter at 22, god im going to be awful when i actually get old)