PDA

View Full Version : K24a Swap info.

chubbychu
04-18-2008, 07:24 PM
My friends and I did a k24a2 swap last weekend, heres whats fresh off the top of my head...
(original thread by: sinistercivicsi)

Things to buy:

2004 CRV passenger side mount
Throttle Body Gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets

www.slhonda.com, or the honda e-store. (http://estore.honda.com)

Things to swap:
Ep3 THERMOSTAT/HOUSING and O-Ring GASKET(s)
EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
Ep3 Alternator
Ep3 Starter
etc...

One main trouble on the k24 swaps is overheating due to bubbles in the radiator and hose.

To fix this problem (ie: bleed the system)

1)turn heat/ac on full blast
2) start the car to normal idling temperature.
3) Jack the front of the car way up (tires off the ground at LEAST)
4) Open the radiator cap and allow the car to "burp"

coolant will gush out of the cap as you open it, but after that it should be okay. At least, it was in my case.

CONFIRMED: stock swaybar fits with EP3 header.

CONFIRMED: the RBB TSX manifold fits into the Ep3 with about 1"-2" clearance from the Radiator support. But you definitely need the KARCEPTS (http://karcepts.com/index_files/kim01.htm) adapter for it to work with the EP3 throttle Body.

arthur
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
can i use the ep im?? would i loose power??

chubbychu
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
can i use the ep im?? would i loose power??

YOU CAN use the EP intake manifold for the TSX swap, but you have a coolant passage and another port to block off. This is acheived with the hasport intake manifold adapter. People have done several things to block off the coolant port.

1) being to tap it and route it back to where it would normally go. or weld it shut. The latter being kind of an outdated method. People dont usually weld it shut anymore because of potential leaks or other problems. Its a better idea to let the coolant flow anyways.

2) being to usethe RBB (tsx) manifold or the RBC (accord type-r, 07 civic si), These two intake manifolds incorperate the coolant port and the other one.

As far as power...I think what people are saying is that the Ep3 manifold (PRB) would be a all around budget manifold and not only that but you have to do that extra work with the open ports.

Youde be better off getting the RBB manifold or the RBC. The RBC being much better in the top end because of its short fat runners. The RBB has long skinny tubes which produces more torque than the RBC under 2000-3000 rpm.

People opt for the RBC but thats the one that costs the most :D cheers.

chubbychu
05-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Just a quick note about intake fitments with the RBB manifold.

I bought a RSX Type-S intake, with the idea that hopefully on some miracle it would fit with the RBB manifold in the EP3 chassis. That was stupid eh! So yeah, The RBB manifold wont be able to support ANY AEM-Injen style aftermarket COLD AIR intake because of the way the RBB manifold mounts the Ep Throttle body.

the RBB mounts the throttle body pointing up, so it just doesnt connect at all because the cold air intakes need to go down under the battery holder.

Short air intakes mount up fine because of the flexibility of mounting within the engine bay.

Alright thats the update.

PAPITUYO326
05-01-2008, 01:41 AM
You cant simply weld the coolant port shut. If you weld it, you must reroute a hot coolant source into the thermostat opening. If you don't your car wont circulate coolant through the system and you WILL overheat.

The easiest way to use an EP manifold is to buy a Tap and the proper fittings. You can also upgrade from the get go and buy an RBC + Karcepts kit. ^^^=Recommended

chubbychu
05-14-2008, 02:28 AM
:D

for everyone searching for information:

from my reading and gathering of knowledge around clubrsx.com, k20a.org, ivtec.net, ephatch.com etc etc, There is SOOOO much debate about the RBC.

First of all, I think you have to trim a good portion of the radiator support for RBC to fit in the ep3. 2nd, unless you can utilize the rev range optimization of the RBC, youll see losses in bottom end compared to the RBB manifold

People from both ends of the spectrum have something to say about the RBC. So good luck

The RBC manifold IS the same thing as the k20z3 (FG Si)'s manifold. The Fg head I Believe incorperates the coolant port. but their part number is RRB. therefore RRB=RBC. :D I hope this is all correct. feel free to edit. thanks!

Twisted-X
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Newbie question:

Does the K24A2 have the oil cooler thing under the oil filter? If so, do you have to use the Type-S radiator?

Thanks

civicsibaby04
06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Newbie question:

Does the K24A2 have the oil cooler thing under the oil filter? If so, do you have to use the Type-S radiator?

Thanks

no oil cooler on a k24a2. i dont see why you would have to use a type s rad.

Twisted-X
06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I see. For some reason I was thinking that the oil cooler ran through the bottom part of the radiator like it does on some cars.

chubbychu
06-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I see. For some reason I was thinking that the oil cooler ran through the bottom part of the radiator like it does on some cars.

Nope :D

Go_ep3
03-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Just a quick note about intake fitments with the RBB manifold.

I bought a RSX Type-S intake, with the idea that hopefully on some miracle it would fit with the RBB manifold in the EP3 chassis. That was stupid eh! So yeah, The RBB manifold wont be able to support ANY AEM-Injen style aftermarket COLD AIR intake because of the way the RBB manifold mounts the Ep Throttle body.

the RBB mounts the throttle body pointing up, so it just doesnt connect at all because the cold air intakes need to go down under the battery holder.

Short air intakes mount up fine because of the flexibility of mounting within the engine bay.

Alright thats the update.

old thread but needed answers. search but couldn't find anything... i just swaped the k24a2 motor and using the tsx rbb intake manifold but couldn't use the ep3 stock air box. so the question is, what intake to i get? i was thinking of getting a sri but what kind/model because of the situation im in? thanks in advance...

Andrew
03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
for a second i thought this thread was complete, but wow nevermind

Go_ep3
03-28-2010, 08:35 PM
i guess its gonna be a modified ep3 sri or make one. ill try to make one so im going to autozone tomorrow.

MadLorEP3
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
My friends and I did a k24a2 swap last weekend, heres whats fresh off the top of my head...

Things to buy:

Throttle Body Gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets

Things to swap:
EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
Ep3 Alternator
Ep3 Starter
etc...

One main trouble on the k24 swaps is overheating due to bubbles in the radiator and hose.

coolant will gush out of the cap as you open it, but after that it should be okay. At least, it was in my case.

CONFIRMED: the RBB TSX manifold fits into the Ep3 with about 1"-2" clearance from the Radiator support. But you definitely need the KARCEPTS (http://karcepts.com/index_files/kim01.htm) adapter for it to work with the EP3 throttle Body.

great info
bringing it back from the dead because I will be doing this in the next week or 2 once I get all the parts that I need

Mr_Safeway
04-27-2010, 12:26 AM

Things to buy:

Throttle Body Gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets

Things to swap:
EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
Ep3 Alternator
Ep3 Starter
etc...

What is the etc??

K24 FTWi
04-29-2010, 11:13 PM

from my reading and gathering of knowledge around clubrsx.com, k20a.org, ivtec.net, ephatch.com etc etc, There is SOOOO much debate about the RBC.

First of all, I think you have to trim a good portion of the radiator support for RBC to fit in the ep3. 2nd, unless you can utilize the rev range optimization of the RBC, youll see losses in bottom end compared to the RBB manifold

People from both ends of the spectrum have something to say about the RBC. So good luck

The RBC manifold IS the same thing as the k20z3 (FG Si)'s manifold. The Fg head I Believe incorperates the coolant port. but their part number is RRB. therefore RRB=RBC. :D I hope this is all correct. feel free to edit. thanks!

So what if you are running an RBC with the Z3 head attached to a k24 block? Will the coolant port still have to be welded shut? I have heard that you have to put a coolant diverter in the water jacket to keep from overheating. Anybody??
I think with most boosted cars the RBC will work fine bc you are forcing the air in and not relying on vacuum.

tommykair20
05-10-2010, 06:32 AM
(original thread by: sinistercivicsi) Things to buy:

Throttle Body Gaskets
Exhaust manifold gaskets

Things to swap:
EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
Ep3 Alternator
Ep3 Starter
etc...

One main trouble on the k24 swaps is overheating due to bubbles in the radiator and hose. To fix this problem (ie: bleed the system) 1)turn heat/ac on full blast
4) Open the radiator cap and allow the car to "burp" coolant will gush out of the cap as you open it, but after that it should be okay. At least, it was in my case. CONFIRMED: stock swaybar fits with EP3 header. CONFIRMED: the RBB TSX manifold fits into the Ep3 with about 1"-2" clearance from the Radiator support. But you definitely need the KARCEPTS (http://karcepts.com/index_files/kim01.htm) adapter for it to work with the EP3 throttle Body.

what is the difference between ep3 knock sensor and k24a2 knock sensors?

i just looking the solution to my problem, put a k24a3 into my 02 ep, i did follow all directions except to change the knock sensors... also i use my ep intake manifold.... my dyno tuner says he is getting a lot of knock from the engine at not much timing, he things and says he is almost sure is my vtc gear that is not respondind for the vtc change over, well thats what the laptop shows, he commands can change to 35 degree or any other number and cams stay lock at 21 degree...

02 ep
PNF KPRO
stock harness wiring
stock k24a2 tsx 2004

PLEASE HEL!!!

chubbychu
05-17-2010, 03:01 AM
The ep3 wire harness will only fit the ep3 knock sensor. As far as knocking, it's either a tuning issue including poor ignition tuning, parameter misconfiguration or something more serious, such as a messed up motor, or vtc mechanisms

imthebro
09-03-2010, 06:46 PM
sorry to revive this (great info by the way)

Has anyone used the RBB manifold along with an AEM V2 cai (Ep3 model) without issues ?

My k24A2 is currently sitting in the garage and just by looking at the manifold and how the A3 throttle body will mount to it with the karcept adapter, I 'm trying to figure out how it will accomodate my current Aem V2 ?

I don't mind modifying the AEM bracket if I have to, but I'm not really willing to cut the V2's tube to take a bit of the angle out of it (mostly due to its dual tube design).

which CAI's have you guys used ?

LOVIN MY EP3
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Does a rsx type s have a rbc manifold ?

Heitzke
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Does a rsx type s have a rbc manifold ?

Nope, they come stock with the PRB like us

talonXracer
10-24-2010, 05:55 AM
he things and says he is almost sure is my vtc gear that is not respondind for the vtc change over, well thats what the laptop shows, he commands can change to 35 degree or any other number and cams stay lock at 21 degree...

02 ep
PNF KPRO
stock harness wiring
stock k24a2 tsx 2004

PLEASE HEL!!!

Your VTC sounds like it is working perfectly, the K24A2 has a different VTC assembly, it is mechanically limited to 25 degrees(21 is within specs).

Paulieep3
10-24-2010, 06:59 AM

You have to trim the radiator support in order for the rbc to fit with k24. a good amount too if u ask me. i also have to make a custom CAI because i had a injen cai and it would not work at all.

talonXracer
10-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Dont go hacking the rad support before you have the engine installed, I have seen several K24 swaps that could have gotten away with no cutting of the rad support at all, and only triming of the hood skelton was required.