PDA

View Full Version : Stock or Aftermarket Wheels?

kai-wun
04-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey guys,

I know this is a pretty dumb question but I'm kinda curious of your opinions.

I actually don't mind the look of the 15" stockies that come with the 02. They've got snows on them now (pretty much a requirement for where I live) so I need new rubber.

19/60-15 rubber is quite a bit cheaper than larger tires.

I'm considering getting a set of Rota Torque (wannabe typeR lol.. closest thing) but the smallest those come in are 17x8 (?)

I know the reduced sidewall would help cornering but the added weight (and rotational weight) would be detrimental to acceleration/fuel economy.

I suppose aftermarket wheels are more for aesthetics than performance, but do you guys think the tradeoff is worth it? Or stick to stockies and "high performance" rubber?

//edit: Actually I see there are 16x7 torques...

Jpax
04-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Well the maintanice with aftermarket wheels plays a little factor, you dont have to worry about a bent rim so much with stockys. and cleaning aftermarket rims can be a all day adventuer by itself.

For daily driving I use Advan RGs. 17" but and a 35 , series tire.
Its a rough ride ill be honest but the performance out weights the ride quality but thats my style of performance. I like the ability to take a corner at 2 or even 3 times as fast I should be able to vrs stocks.

powdbyrice
04-19-2008, 06:56 AM
i have 17x7.5 +45 torques. if i had to buy again, i would get 17x8, +38? and roll the rear fenders. it fills in the wheel wells a bit better.

i slightly bent a wheel because i hit something huge on the freeway.

outside of that, the ride quality isnt bad at all. i haven't noticed any decrease in mpg. i usually get ~300mi per tank. depends how i drive...

MugsyTheGr8
04-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Hey guys,

I know this is a pretty dumb question but I'm kinda curious of your opinions.

I actually don't mind the look of the 15" stockies that come with the 02. They've got snows on them now (pretty much a requirement for where I live) so I need new rubber.

19/60-15 rubber is quite a bit cheaper than larger tires.

I'm considering getting a set of Rota Torque (wannabe typeR lol.. closest thing) but the smallest those come in are 17x8 (?)

I know the reduced sidewall would help cornering but the added weight (and rotational weight) would be detrimental to acceleration/fuel economy.

I suppose aftermarket wheels are more for aesthetics than performance, but do you guys think the tradeoff is worth it? Or stick to stockies and "high performance" rubber?

//edit: Actually I see there are 16x7 torques...
stock wheels are about 24lbs, so almost anything weighs less than stock, so your good there

and a reduced sidewall wont necessarily help corning but it will change the way the car feels. a smaller tire sidewall will feel more direct, while a taller sidewall will be more compliant.

Jpax
04-19-2008, 07:24 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/jpax/wheelsadtires018.jpg
heres the advans

civictype_r04
04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
^^^^ That is one sick fit!