PDA

View Full Version : Headers......

K20NutBucket
07-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know if the base model rsx aftermarket headers will fit on our cars??

....sorry if this has been posted before....

DynaSpeed
07-10-2002, 11:00 AM
Yes, they fit... check out MiamiJDM's car. He has HP RSX headers

JSIR
07-10-2002, 06:29 PM
yeah they fit, I just ordered the same header myself

Brenetics
07-10-2002, 09:17 PM
From where did you order them?

JSIR
07-10-2002, 10:21 PM
you can order them from any Nopi location, there is an e-bay location as well, and I believe APC carries them as well.

miamijdm
07-11-2002, 11:51 AM
shouldn't take you more than 1hr to install them without a lift... if you have access to a lift, it should take about 25 mins... Really straight forward install... I recommend doing the exhaust also to benifit from the header. Don't get scared when you see the diameter of the stock piping after the cat... thanks.

MadMax
07-11-2002, 04:25 PM
What is the stock exhaust diameter on the Si? The base RSX is 1.75".

Mulder
07-11-2002, 06:04 PM
I believe it's 1 3/4" after the cat, but even SMALLER out of the resonator. The pipe between the resonator and the muffler is deceiving.

JSIR
07-11-2002, 07:23 PM
it must be a metric size, cause I measured it at 1.66 inches outside diameter, a freaking pea-shooter of a mid-pipe, its disgusting to look at. I cut that bitch out of there along with the resonator today and the car is much happier, still sounds very quiet by nice with stock muffler. I went with a 2.25 inch mid-pipe but crush bent system as mandrel bent pipes are hard to find in my area. But there are relatively few bends and they are not very tight bends either, so I doubt there is any problems running crush bent piping. With this single mod I can actually feel vtec engage now with a definite change in performance at the switch over point.

MadMax
07-11-2002, 07:27 PM
JSIR, how are you measuring? I'm using calipers and i get just a smidge over 1.75, so i assume 1.75 is the nominal diameter and the o.d. is slightly larger.

JSIR
07-11-2002, 07:37 PM
I used my electronic caliper to measure it, it doesn't look like anything near 1.75" to me , measured on the middle of the mid-pipe area, I actually have it in my garage now so it is easier to measure, let me double check - brb.

JSIR
07-11-2002, 07:42 PM
okay, definitely 1.66 inches outside diameter, and 1.53" inside diameter max. , the inside diameter may be even smaller as I could only meaure the inside diameter at the flange where it was cut off to re-use the stock flange and the pipe is a bit flared there, definitely not bigger than that.

MadMax
07-11-2002, 08:03 PM
:eek:
Wow... no wonder there is such a gain from custom exhaust... Im hoping for similar with my rsx.

SmoothOperator
07-11-2002, 08:04 PM
How do I go about finding a shop that will make and install a custom, mandrel bent, midpipe? I'm thinking of keeping my stock muffler too. I think the Thermal tip looks hideous!

JSIR
07-12-2002, 04:44 PM
hey smooth operator, there are a few shops in Toronto that do mandrel bent pipes, I spoke with Scott from Hot Rod Scotty's muffler shop (Thruway) in TO they do it. In my hometown there are no shops that do it though, so I just went with a crush bent 2.25 mid pipe, it seems to work fine, the bends are so gentle on this car that you don't really loose much with crush bent, althought mandrel bent is recognized as a better system. I eliminated the resonator and it is still very quiet, I was really surprised, sounds good, the stock muffler looks great too IMO. If you live in or around Toronto let me know I can get the website info for Hot Rod Scotty's.

SmoothOperator
07-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Hey thanks JSIR I appreciate it! I'm in T.O. all the time, so I guess there's my best bet! Get me the website info when you get the chance. There's no hurry seeing as how I'm broke! :rolleyes:
Where abouts are you anyways?

JSIR
07-12-2002, 06:27 PM
here is the website, www.hotrodscotts.com , they are down on Kipling and QEW TO area , when I get the chance to get a stainless mandrel pipe I will have them do it for me, I'll keep running my current pipe for the next while though. I think they charge around $300 for a stainless pipe installed with three mandrel bends if I remember corrrectly - mandrel bends cost $40 a piece from what they told me. I live in London about 2 hrs west of TO, near St. Thomas Dragway if you are familiar with that place.
Joey

SmoothOperator
07-12-2002, 06:46 PM
WTF!!!!! I'm in London too man. What colour is your car? Perhaps I've seen you around?

When you decide to get that stainless mandrell bent pipe, let me know...perhaps we could drive both our cars there and get a discount?!?!?

JSIR
07-12-2002, 09:40 PM
ha, ha, ha, lol, that is funny , both from London, who would have thought. There is a club RSX guy from London I have been looking for too. I have a silver 2002 Civic SiR, no discerning features other than blue license plate covers, bought it from London Honda, traded in my 99 SiR for this about one month ago. I just did my mid-pipe real cheap from a local place with crush bent aluminized piping but I want to go and get a stainless one when I have more time in TO, I will let you know and they can do both at once should be easy for them. I have a set of headers on the way and will be opening up the throttle body in a week or so . Then I want to wait for Comptech to release their cold air intake box, don't want any of the other intakes.

Joey

miamijdm
07-13-2002, 06:26 AM
the shop that I did my mandrel bent exhaust doesnt have a bender, they went ahead and just ordered me the bends and put them together.. Im sure those muffler shops that tell you guys they don't do it just dont want to order the bends... just my .02