PDA

View Full Version : tokico blues

dung
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
anyone have experience with these guys? I heard they are just OEM replacement, meaning you only get them if your stock shocks is blown and get them to replace OEM, not really an upgrade. planning to lower my EP and want to actually get the handling to improve so I need some opinion on these set, and what springs goes great with them.

going for like 1.75-2.00 drop

johnkimble
04-19-2008, 04:57 PM
they're supposedly pretty good. your mileage may vary because you're going past that recommended 1.5" but they will probably last you a couple years at least from what I've seen on here.

I had a set of illumina's on my hatch which are equivalents of these dumped 2.5" and it lasted me the life of that car -- 5 years.

PayneSkillet
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
i've had blues on my car for almost a year lowered 2.25"... theyre fine. they are pretty much just oem replacements. go with some d-specs. thats what im getting when mine die

bphom
04-20-2008, 01:05 AM
if they're just oem replacements, then why bother getting them? why not just get a brand new set of oem's.

dung
04-20-2008, 07:00 AM
if they're just oem replacements, then why bother getting them? why not just get a brand new set of oem's.

that what I am not sure, they are said to be OEM replacement by many users but I want to know for sure if they are or not.

MokujinX5
04-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I thought the valving would be stiffer than OEM, but I guess I'm wrong

civictype_r04
04-20-2008, 09:38 AM
If your going to go that low I say get the d-specs. The blues are a oem replacement.

miragetkg
04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
anyone have experience with these guys? I heard they are just OEM replacement, meaning you only get them if your stock shocks is blown and get them to replace OEM, not really an upgrade. planning to lower my EP and want to actually get the handling to improve so I need some opinion on these set, and what springs goes great with them.

going for like 1.75-2.00 drop

These will work on any aftermarket springs no lower then a 1.5" drop. I ran with these w/ Tanabe springs for 3 years with no problems at all. Check out shox.com for the best price shipped.

player757
04-20-2008, 10:21 AM
i got about 30,000 on my tokico blues lowered 1.8 on h&r and the rear are already blown. im buying a new set of d specs this week. i wish i would have spent the extra to get the upgrade the first time. o well time for some fun with my new setup :mbiggrin:\

smoody
06-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Maybe old but I have questions. I know d specs are better then hps. I don't do any tracking or anything really. I know that the hps are stock replacements but since I only use my car for a dd should I just get hps? I have h&r btw. How long has yours last until they started popping and making noises and ready to go out?

dichotomous
06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
they are close to stock replacements but not quite, the damping is a touch or two stiffer, its noticable. they dont like drop.

shadowmd
06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
if u get the d-specs u will DEF be happy :mcool:

Mickey
06-23-2008, 10:13 AM
I have the Blues with 2 inch drop for almost 4 years now without any problems. I drive far with up to 5 people in my EP with the trunk full.
Why spend so much? If you go to the tracks regularly then probably you need to get coilovers but just for looks and DD. Blues are okey.
Definitely not OEM replacements.

smoody
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I have the Blues with 2 inch drop for almost 4 years now without any problems. I drive far with up to 5 people in my EP with the trunk full.
Why spend so much? If you go to the tracks regularly then probably you need to get coilovers but just for looks and DD. Blues are okey.
Definitely not OEM replacements.

have it started making any type of noises during out those past 4 years. I'm thinking about getting some, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys

Mickey
06-23-2008, 02:17 PM
have it started making any type of noises during out those past 4 years. I'm thinking about getting some, I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys

No noise whatsoever.
Note: I am the first in ephatch to install the HP's. Everybody wasnt sure if it fits and Wayne of speedstar installed it on my car (2004). Never had a problem since then. Ive driven couple of cars with coilovers and yes they handle really good but very stiff and kinda bouncy and I didnt like it cuz I use my EP as Daily Driver

shortstop
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
i went with tein s tech springs and tokiko blues on my ek and it rides smooth and i am about to do the same set up with the ep, got the springs waiting for $$$ for struts.

civsirmt
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
had mine on for a little over a year now no problems 1.5 drop, and u can tell they are not stock.

RHCP0801
06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
had them on my em2 for 2 years lowered 2 inches than transferred them over to my ep lowered 2 inches and they ride great and arent blown...definatley not stock replacements

ep_hatcher_510
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Close to stock replacement but not quite, have a more aggressive/sporty valving, but if looking for performance out of your suspension then look elsewhere, these are just mostly for a DD.

smoody
06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
ok buying some blues should get rid of all the clunking noises and stuff right?

ep_hatcher_510
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
maybe, depends on what the clunking and other noise is.

3dkahuna
06-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Tein S Tech and Tokico HP blues is what I really want to do.

cerebrous
06-24-2008, 08:37 PM
have these on my wifes EM for 3 years on sportlines... No problems at all.. ride is more stable but definately doesn't compare to full coils... alot better than stock.. tho

shortstop
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Tein S Tech and Tokico HP blues is what I really want to do.

i am about to order blues friday(got the s tech's in yesterday) i can install and tell ya if you dont order them by then but i plan on the same set up.

ilovemyminivan
06-25-2008, 03:42 AM
my setup right now is H&R springs and tokico blues and im not that satisfied with it. everytime i hit a little dip on the road my under carriage always hits the ground, even the smallest ones that you cant avoid. imo its not stiff enough.

RHCP0801
06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
my setup right now is H&R springs and tokico blues and im not that satisfied with it. everytime i hit a little dip on the road my under carriage always hits the ground, even the smallest ones that you cant avoid. imo its not stiff enough.

thats weird, i have the same exact setup and that never happens to me...rides great on 3 year old blues

smoody
06-25-2008, 11:57 AM
thats weird, i have the same exact setup and that never happens to me...rides great on 3 year old blues

Has just made my day :mbiggrin:

TheKone
10-05-2010, 07:04 AM
The whole argument here about whether they are oem replacements or not is kinda funny. Has anyone actually read up on them? They do have more damping force than stock but they also have variable valving depending on piston acceleration. If you are just cruising along over small bumps and such they are a little softer. When you start to drive hard the quicker piston movements increase damping force due to the valving. There just like Monroe sensa-trac shocks. But the overall damping force is stiffer than stock. You may think they just feel like a stock replacement becasue the stiffer damping force is making up for your worn suspension bushings and such. If you are going to have a DD only and a modest drop (no more than 2") then I am sure the blues will do just fine and you will save huge $$$. If you plan at tracking at all then I would reccomend D's just becasue of the adjustable damping. Also keep in mind that these blues area twin-tube design so will not offer the responsiveness of a mono-tube like you get with a coil-over assembly.

Heitzke
10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Have them on my mustang, and it rides nice as hell now. Much better than it was from the factory.. but that does't say much.

fobman
10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
i have tokiko blues with h&r springs for 2 years now.. nothing wrong with it but i regret getting dspecs

introvert
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
i have tokiko blues with h&r springs for 2 years now.. nothing wrong with it but i regret getting dspecs

Regret getting or regret not getting?

2K3 EP3
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
i got em and still running strong. since 08

fobman
10-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Regret getting or regret not getting?

i meant regret not getting...my bad lol

speedking604
10-05-2010, 11:13 PM
i meant regret not getting...my bad lol

i told you that before but you didn't listen.lol...

introvert
10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm on Tanabe GF210s and stock shocks... Been entertaining the idea of going with blues for the past 6 months. Every time I think about Dspec I keep thinking I might as well spend the extra 250 or whatever and get a set of Megan or D2. Been having a hard time making a decision on it.