PDA

View Full Version : About to buy an SI for my Fiancee what do you think?

ryanlasher
04-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey guys so i am about to jump into a world I havent been a part of since I was in high school and wanted to ask a few questions and see if this is really for me or more trouble then its worth.

I work as a finance manager at a dealership and my fiancee fell in love with a car that we traded in. 2004 Si with just over 50k miles on it. I had a 99 SI back in 2000 and loved it, but im sure anyone who had that as a first car would as well. Any ways she does not know how to drive stick nor did I ever think I would get her to learn. She wants the car because she knows I loved my old one and because she thinks its cute and the color is pretty. I didnt even know till last week honda still made electron blue if its even called that any more. Real question is what do I need to look out for on these cars, what goes wrong with them? I have heard they arnt as reliable as most hondas because of being made in Europe. I can get the car for 9500 however I dont know what is a fair price for one as far as the average public goes. I know banks seem to think it is worth 11500 but the used car market is fickle and I feel 9500 is too much for this car am i right or wrong? It amazes me that the 99-00 seem to be worth just as much. The car is in excellent condition and has been very well maintained. What do you guys think? I dont want stroke a check for 9500 just to have to keep stroking checks to maintain it. And also in 6 months when she decides that she really acually did want a Z4 and that manuals arnt for her I dont want to have the only people interested in buying it be 16 year old kids that have 7grand to spend because thats it worth.

Sorry for being so long winded

:welcome:

first, the color is vivid blue pearl.

second, we would need a little more info to determine whether it's a good buy or not.

third, the ep3 only comes in manual.

some of the issues i can think of off hand:

steering rack creak
3rd gear grind
master clutch cylinder (small leak)

those issues are major, and the car is just as reliable as any other honda, as long as you maintain it properly.

ryanlasher
04-19-2008, 06:14 PM
what more info do you need? It has 50k miles. Brand new tires, brakes, and has all of its service records since bought new. Hardly a scartch on it and nothing that will not buff out. Sunroof (I beleive all do) I know all SI come with manual trannys, but I can see why you would think I didnt know. Car is completly stock, and has been that way at all times. Anything more needed?

Oh yeah the price is $9500 including all my taxes and government fees.

blackhatchsi
04-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Couple of questions:

1. Any mods done to it?
2. What color is it?
3. Any info about previous owner? (little old lady or 18 year old guy)
4. Do you think that your wife will learn how to drive a manual? (I bought my Si for my wife and thought she would learn how to drive a stick. Needless to say, I drive the Si. :mcool:)

ryanlasher
04-19-2008, 06:23 PM
1. No mods, currently and always been stock
2. vivid blue
3. Previous owner is mid to late 30s and got tired of driving stick (I got to know him as I did the paperwork on his trade)
4. I think she will be willing to learn as getting the car is 100% her idea, it will be a 3rd car so if she doesnt like it I will drive it more often, which will deffinatly help keep miles off my lease

kbb value shows it's right around 12k.

if it's as clean as you say it is and has always been in stock form, and you can get it for under 10k, it's a pretty good deal.

i haven't had too many problems with my car. bought it new in 2003. now it has 30k miles, and have had very few issues.

it's a fun car to drive. hatch back can be useful at times. honestly, there are probably better deals out there, but you buy the ep because you have a thing for it.

feel free to ask any other questions.

27rocks
04-19-2008, 06:28 PM
:welcome:

first, the color is vivid blue pearl.

second, we would need a little more info to determine whether it's a good buy or not.

third, the ep3 only comes in manual.

some of the issues i can think of off hand:

steering rack creak
3rd gear grind
master clutch cylinder (small leak)

those issues are major, and the car is just as reliable as any other honda, as long as you maintain it properly.
you should only get the steering creak if your lowered...and the 3rd gear grind is only if you push the car and really try to shift fast. if its just a daily driver it should be good to go...if its driven normaly nothing should really go wrong with it, but everycar is different so who knows.

Fish
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM
The 2nd/3rd gear grind is specifically when shifting very quickly at above 6k rpms, nothing to worry about for normal driving.

I'd say that's a steal at 9.5k. I bought my 05 for 13.5k with 36k miles, similar condition and details to the one that you've described.

you should only get the steering creak if your lowered...and the 3rd gear grind is only if you push the car and really try to shift fast. if its just a daily driver it should be good to go...if its driven normaly nothing should really go wrong with it, but everycar is different so who knows.

yes, thanks for clarifying. i only had the grind issue while pushing it. never had the steering rack issue, and i'm lowered on mugen ss.

ryanlasher
04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
True question is really price? I am in the industry however I am not on the wholesale side but these cars seem to have lost there value very quickly. I know value of a car is determined by a buyer, where is the market for these cars? It seems an EX of the same year is worth about the same, if not more. Any one here have one with 100k on it? Sold or bought one with that kind of miles? A car is not an investment I know that and is why me and the fiancee lease our cars. Are there a ton of them available? Any idea on how many Honda made? I feel like Im getting my self into a car with the depreciation of an SUV

blackhatchsi
04-19-2008, 07:07 PM
True question is really price? I am in the industry however I am not on the wholesale side but these cars seem to have lost there value very quickly. I know value of a car is determined by a buyer, where is the market for these cars? It seems an EX of the same year is worth about the same, if not more. Any one here have one with 100k on it? Sold or bought one with that kind of miles? A car is not an investment I know that and is why me and the fiancee lease our cars. Are there a ton of them available? Any idea on how many Honda made? I feel like Im getting my self into a car with the depreciation of an SUV

Up until about 4 months ago, I sold cars for 3 years and 9,500 is pretty good for an '04. After '03, they made a few changes that IMO, help the value. As far as wether there are a ton of them available, I don't think so. In most cases, limited availability would equal better resale value but EP3s weren't really advertised a lot when they were in production which means that most people who are in the market aren't sitting around going,"I think I want an '02-'05 civic Si." 'cause they don't know about them. What I mean is that there is overall a low demand for EP3s so that kind of offsets the effects of low supply and that is why i think that they aren't all that expensive. But, if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it to you.

BustedSony
04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
True question is really price? I am in the industry however I am not on the wholesale side but these cars seem to have lost there value very quickly.

It seems to me that the EPhatches have kept their value well actually, usually more than other Civics of the same year.

The build quality is as good as any Civic. Any concerns are with particular assemblies or components.

There have been issues with galling (cam to valve metal migration) of the cam shaft, possibly caused by insufficient oil pressure, leading to early camshaft wear. This affects the same engine in the Acura RSX's. K20a3's of late 2003's onwards seem not to be as affected (they may have an improved camshaft) but 5W 30 or 10W 30 oil is HIGHLY recommended rather than the factory-suggested 5W 20 in any case. My 2004 SiR with 38000 miles shows pitting of the camshaft, which is therefore going to be changed under factory warranty in a couple of weeks. The car was always serviced with 5W 20 by the previous owner.

The steering rack can show premature wear, leading to creaking and some looseness. This affects stock as well as lowered cars, since even stock cars have the control arm at an angle, but the problem only affects some cars, it can't be predicted. Otherwise it's very precise and tight steering on the EPhatch.

The clutch master cylinder ALWAYS becomes noisy, there is a new cylinder made AFTER the life of the EP3 line that seems to avoid this problem. Try by all means to get the cylinder replaced rather than greased.

Also one or more rear wheel bearings fail within 60k miles on some cars.

There is frequently a poor air seal leading to excessive wind noise on the left hand front door, this affects all Civics, including 8th Gen and late Accords.

All Civics have had some issues, such as leaking gas tanks, ignition switch failure, bearings, early timing belt failure (the SI uses a chain); the EP is only SLIGHTLY more problematic than most Civics, it IS a reliable car that will probably never ever just break down and leave you stranded, and that distinguishes the cars from, say, a VW Jetta 1.8T whch can just die in traffic due to failure of a spark coil or seized water pump. :rolleyes:

Fish
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
You seem to think that 9.5k is too much for that car.

The fact is that getting any EP with 50k miles, no matter the year, for under 10k, is almost unheard of.

BustedSony
04-19-2008, 07:42 PM
You seem to think that 9.5k is too much for that car.

The fact is that getting any EP with 50k miles, no matter the year, for under 10k, is almost unheard of.

It's an outstanding price for the car, the OP should have no worries, and the EP does NOT have the depreciation of an SUV!

Fish
04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
It's an outstanding price for the car, the OP should have no worries, and the EP does NOT have the depreciation of an SUV!
Indeed, my car was bought for 17k otd in 05, and I paid 13.5k for it 3 years later with 36k miles and I'd say it was a reasonable price.

Not bad at all.

civictype_r04
04-20-2008, 02:14 AM
I say get it $9500 is a steal for that many miles.

dbnow88
04-20-2008, 05:05 AM
I'd say it a good deal. I bought me '03 with 54k miles on it a year ago for 10500. The steering creak is not only if it's lowered. mine creaks (usually in wet weather) and is not lowered. But it doesn't act up very often so it doesn't bother me too much. Yes, if you're racing sometimes second gear does get sticky, but with gas prices so high my focus is trying to get over 30 mpg. I love mine and would recommend it to anyone. especially at that price

bphom
04-20-2008, 05:10 AM
you should go for it. learning manual in the si is nice and easy.

blackhatchsi
04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Just buy it man. 9,500 is a really good price. Also, some of the little quirks that have been mentioned don't happen as often on the '04-'05 EPs and didnt happen all that often on the previous EPs. Although, I have an 03 and did experience galling on one of my can lobes. A quick call to Corsports.com for some Skunk2 cams fixed that problem. :mbiggrin:

kokopuffs405
04-22-2008, 08:12 AM
i bought my 04 for 13.3k with 42,000 miles on it. like 6 months ago.

i say 9.5 is a great deal.

creamSODA
04-22-2008, 08:30 AM
doo itt!

xsimplistikaznx
04-22-2008, 04:49 PM
try it out. what is there to lose you know

v1c10us
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
i got mine with 64k on it for 7800 from a fellow EP hatch member after it had been modded like nuts and gone through three engines and then returned to stock. that price for a unmodded EP3 is an amazing deal In my opinion.

GORILLA
04-22-2008, 06:16 PM
i would do it....

blackhatchsi
04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Besides, you're only putting 9,500 into it. If you don't like it, It would be very feasable to sell it for $12k-$13k. Or, if she doesn't like it, you can drive it and do a fully built K24 swap/boosted torque beast for yourself to drive FTW.:eyebrows:

1fast03ep
04-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Is this EP at Leith Honda? If so I would do it. I have looked at this car and it appears to be well taken care and in damn near new condition! My 03 has almost 150,000 miles and still drives like a new one, the seats still feel new and when it's washed it looks like a new car!

blackbelt
04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I think it is a really good deal.

r_jones06
04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
19k out the door with everything in 05... needless to say i would not trade it for the world. Definitely a great deal IMO. Besides... you might decide YOU want it after driving it for a day or so:mbiggrin:

ep3civic2nr
04-24-2008, 06:32 AM
i wouldnt do it..

i had a gf that was into Hondas and liked working on them... but then every little thing i had to do and it took time away from my ep3.

Deadphishy
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
85k on my 2003 and i have had zero problems with it. Not even minor repairs. 9.5k is a good deal for an 04. The EX civic sell for a lot because they get great MPGs and come with an auto trans, and with gas prices so high, every grandmother wants on. Mine drives one:mtongue:

ClouD
04-24-2008, 08:19 AM
It's a good price, but imo you should let her try a variety of cars. Buying a car should not be rushed into "just because you want it", check out what is available, what you want, and is it in the correct price range. There are plenty of used car coming and going. I would make sure this is the type of car I want and then find one in good condition so I won't have to fix little things after I have bought it.

ep3er
04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
9.5k? Go for it. You can't go wrong and she'll love it.

Godhand
04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
lol yeah no rush, it'll probably sit there for 6 months before anybody takes a look at it anyways.

The King
04-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Save your money and get her an 07 Si, better bang for you buck.

ryanlasher
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Well guys I just got done signing myself up on the vehicle. Going to take it home and suprise the wife in a few hours. It seems more fun then I remember a civic being. I guess even after all the years I have been away, part of me will never stop loving a light cheap front wheel drive car with decent power. Its completly different then my car as it has 140 less horse power and drives the opposite wheels but fun all the same.

Hope she likes it

Deadphishy
04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I hope she likes it!

For the record all EP's come with 24 hours tech (Ephatch.com)

VanDiesel
04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
"things we do for love"

6od5peed
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Save your money and get her an 07 Si, better bang for you buck.

Low 15s instead of high 15s for more than double the dough is better bang for your buck? HAHA

Tnhatch03
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
i am going to need a picture of the Fiance' before i make my decision. this will determine if she should be driving a honda or a chevy...

hehehe

mario543k20
04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
your on a dedicated honda civic si forum... do your really think you'll get a negative answer on it... lol if you asked this question in and Evo or STI forum than probably.... Its an awesome car!! Buy it!!!

1fast03ep
04-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Well guys I just got done signing myself up on the vehicle. ...........

Hope she likes it

was that the one at Leith?

ryanlasher
04-25-2008, 07:17 AM
No it was not the one at leith. Which leith dealership has one? I work at a dealership, so it makes it alot easier for me.

She loves the car by the way, I took her for a ride last night, she could not beleive that I bought it for her.

As far as her driving a honda or a chevy that isnt even close. I'm just looking forward to her learning manual as quick as possible so she can drive my 335 and I can move up to what Ive always wanted. An M3