PDA

View Full Version : Front end clunking/popping noises? HELP

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 12:45 AM
ok so since I did my clutch ive been having slight to moderate clunking noises in my front end during turning? It used to be slightly as I would take turns over bumps but now its starting to get louder and more distinct. I just changed my drivers side axle so I doubt its that because it made it before and after. I checked my ball joints and they seem fine. My tie rods see to be fine as well. I had the car up on a lift, and moved the tires back and fourth (left and right as if I were turning) put reload on the suspension and shook the wheel to see if it was the ball joint, still nothing. . . its really starting to drive me nuts. . . help

myrideishot
04-20-2008, 01:01 AM
i had the same problem, i took apart my suspension and the bearing that goes under the tophat on top of the strut was worn to nothing, idk if thats your problem but i would check it because once that bearing wears away its metal on metal and it eats the tophat away, thats what mine was starting to do

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 01:06 AM
i had the same problem, i took apart my suspension and the bearing that goes under the tophat on top of the strut was worn to nothing, idk if thats your problem but i would check it because once that bearing wears away its metal on metal and it eats the tophat away, thats what mine was starting to do

I was starting to think that? . . . is there any way to check it to find out if its bad? besides just replacing it?

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
no one has any ideas? steering rack possibly????

myrideishot
04-20-2008, 10:35 AM
the only way that i know of is to take off you shock and check the top hat and you will def see if the bearing is worn

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
the only way that i know of is to take off you shock and check the top hat and you will def see if the bearing is worn

Im going to try that, how can I tell if its junk?

chuck83
04-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Im going to try that, how can I tell if its junk?

try to see if theres any play in it, like any bearing it should rotate and thats it

holywood
04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
im thinking either the strut or the axle...

PogoFX
04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Please let me know how this works out for you. I've had this popping/clunking coming from the passenger side suspension ever since I bought the car in 2002. It's noticeable over bumps. After I bought the car, the dealer replaced both front struts to no avail. No dealer I've ever taken it to has been able to figure it out. Most of the time they say they don't hear anything. I've reluctantly learned to live with it, since it doesn't happen for the majority of my driving.

Please let me know what you find. I'm taking my car in Tues for them to look at it again because I don't think I can take it any more. I'm going to drive the car with the technician, but I sure my car will act perfectly normal since it knows what I'm trying to do.

holywood
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Please let me know how this works out for you. I've had this popping/clunking coming from the passenger side suspension ever since I bought the car in 2002. It's noticeable over bumps. After I bought the car, the dealer replaced both front struts to no avail. No dealer I've ever taken it to has been able to figure it out. Most of the time they say they don't hear anything. I've reluctantly learned to live with it, since it doesn't happen for the majority of my driving.

Please let me know what you find. I'm taking my car in Tues for them to look at it again because I don't think I can take it any more. I'm going to drive the car with the technician, but I sure my car will act perfectly normal since it knows what I'm trying to do.

yours def. sounds like the spring isnt seated correctly or the struts werent installed correctly.. OR the subframe maybe loose... there's so many things it can be but first id check to see if the springs are seated correctly!

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
im thinking either the strut or the axle...

I just replaced the axle yesterday, it was doing it before too

ep3moschini
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
yours def. sounds like the spring isnt seated correctly or the struts werent installed correctly.. OR the subframe maybe loose... there's so many things it can be but first id check to see if the springs are seated correctly!

I did do my clutch recently, do you thing the subframe would cause that clunk noise?

PogoFX
04-20-2008, 01:14 PM

The car made the noise new on the original struts (just not as frequent or as loud as now). The dealer replaced both front struts, so I feel that I could rule out any strut problem. Shortly there after I had the springs replaced with Eibach Sportlines, so I feel like I can rule out a spring problem.

Yes could be a subframe issue. I'd like to see the condition of the Damper Mounting Bearing referred to earlier as the bearing under the top hat. I guess you have to pull the strut to look at that right? I doubt the dealer replaced that when they changed my struts.

ddhatch
04-20-2008, 03:11 PM
The car made the noise new on the original struts (just not as frequent or as loud as now). The dealer replaced both front struts, so I feel that I could rule out any strut problem. Shortly there after I had the springs replaced with Eibach Sportlines, so I feel like I can rule out a spring problem.

Yes could be a subframe issue. I'd like to see the condition of the Damper Mounting Bearing referred to earlier as the bearing under the top hat. I guess you have to pull the strut to look at that right? I doubt the dealer replaced that when they changed my struts.

Exactly, they probably did not replace the tophats, as it is a seperate piece from the strut. You might be able to switch them, to see if the sound changes sides, but I am not sure if they are reversible... I'm thinking not.

PogoFX
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Exactly, they probably did not replace the tophats, as it is a seperate piece from the strut. You might be able to switch them, to see if the sound changes sides, but I am not sure if they are reversible... I'm thinking not.

They probably are reversible. I'm looking at the exploded diagram of the strut/spring and it's just a round bearing.

RedSiBaron
04-20-2008, 03:44 PM
hey this is interesting!! my car just started doing this friday and i was thinking it was my passenger outter cv, but it comes and goes and its only when i load the right suspension...im wondering if i should check this top hat also...hmmm tomorrow im checking all my bolts and checking my cv again, but who knows...please post if you figure it out!!!

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 03:04 AM
hey this is interesting!! my car just started doing this friday and i was thinking it was my passenger outter cv, but it comes and goes and its only when i load the right suspension...im wondering if i should check this top hat also...hmmm tomorrow im checking all my bolts and checking my cv again, but who knows...please post if you figure it out!!!

yeah im noticing its only doing it once the suspension is loaded (in a turn)

PAPITUYO326
04-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Its more than likely the suspension hat hating life bro. Mine has been making the same noises and I am positive its the top of the strut.

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Its more than likely the suspension hat hating life bro. Mine has been making the same noises and I am positive its the top of the strut.

even tho it feels like its comming from the floor boards?

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
even tho it feels like its comming from the floor boards?

yah mine too, it sounds like we have exactly the same problem...have you checked like EVERY bolt on the suspension to make sure its torqued properly? im going to go through all of mine today after work(unless its raining)...also check that lower balljoint nut, im checking mine, i dont think its off, but who knows...ill let you know if i find something

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 06:17 AM
yah mine too, it sounds like we have exactly the same problem...have you checked like EVERY bolt on the suspension to make sure its torqued properly? im going to go through all of mine today after work(unless its raining)...also check that lower balljoint nut, im checking mine, i dont think its off, but who knows...ill let you know if i find something

everything on my car is in check, I cant find any reason as to why its doing this

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 07:29 AM
everything on my car is in check, I cant find any reason as to why its doing this

in my clunk thread they suggested retorquing my tie rod end...the thing that throws me is 200miles of pa/nj driving yesterday on those awful roads with bumps and dips and potholes the car didnt make the sound once...if i cant find anything im definitely going to replace this bearing type deal on the strut tower...

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
in my clunk thread they suggested retorquing my tie rod end...the thing that throws me is 200miles of pa/nj driving yesterday on those awful roads with bumps and dips and potholes the car didnt make the sound once...if i cant find anything im definitely going to replace this bearing type deal on the strut tower...

napa sells them for 55.00 (both front left and right)

dung
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
I've been having this problem since the day I picked up my ep... my only hope is one day to have my whole suspension fall apart while I drive and sue honda world OC for refusing to look into it while I was under warranty.

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
napa sells them for 55.00 (both front left and right)

oh thats good, so atleast i can get them cheap if i need to...ill still price out honda...

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
its weird because it will only do it sometimes. . . :mfrown: its so hard to diagnose!

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
its weird because it will only do it sometimes. . . :mfrown: its so hard to diagnose!

werd...i say we figure this out so we dont have to wonder haha

ep3moschini
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
werd...i say we figure this out so we dont have to wonder haha

I lifted it up again after work and found nothing to be wrong, bent, or fucked up :mrolleyes:

darkunitzero
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
dang, i dont know if its the same problem but in my car when i do left turns and/or go over bumps i get a clunking and popping noise also. its been driving me crazy for about a year now. when i it acts up i take off the wheel and look around but theres nothing that i can see that could cause it. =\ i think it might be my top hat for the springs but i cant be too sure, since the noise can only be replicated when driving.

thaseint
04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Mine has been doing the same thing for at least 6 months now. Random clunking on suspension load/turning and over bumps.

One of these days I'm going to to find some time and do some (more) suspension work. ie: new endlinks, new tie rids, new swaybar bushings and replacing the top hat bearing. That'll give me an excuse to go in and get a fast road alignment.

If that doesn't fix it I'll just drive the car into the ocean.

In my case I know its not my axles, because I rebuilt my Type S axles before installing them with my 5-lug last year. Ball joints are (or should be) still good too since they came off a RSX-S with 16k miles.

RedSiBaron
04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Mine has been doing the same thing for at least 6 months now. Random clunking on suspension load/turning and over bumps.

One of these days I'm going to to find some time and do some (more) suspension work. ie: new endlinks, new tie rids, new swaybar bushings and replacing the top hat bearing. That'll give me an excuse to go in and get a fast road alignment.

If that doesn't fix it I'll just drive the car into the ocean.

In my case I know its not my axles, because I rebuilt my Type S axles before installing them with my 5-lug last year. Ball joints are (or should be) still good too since they came off a RSX-S with 16k miles.

well if this helps anyones logic i just replaced my endlinks, my honda type r sway bars, my honda sway bushings, type s knuckles, koyo bearings, rebuilt type s axles with honda rebuild kits, new moog lower ball joints, new honda tie rod ends...that was 3 weeks ago and my clunk just started friday evening after travelling down a shitty pa highway that was causing my car to go over pot holes and bumps for about 5 miles straight...what you guys think about it now???...top hat bearings got beat up and old after 63k??? might make sense...my suspension is all shiny and new 10k ago, so...not thinking its that...havnt gotten a chance to check and retorque bolts but im thinking its that bearing...all signs point to that...thoughts?

ep3moschini
04-22-2008, 03:21 AM
well if this helps anyones logic i just replaced my endlinks, my honda type r sway bars, my honda sway bushings, type s knuckles, koyo bearings, rebuilt type s axles with honda rebuild kits, new moog lower ball joints, new honda tie rod ends...that was 3 weeks ago and my clunk just started friday evening after travelling down a shitty pa highway that was causing my car to go over pot holes and bumps for about 5 miles straight...what you guys think about it now???...top hat bearings got beat up and old after 63k??? might make sense...my suspension is all shiny and new 10k ago, so...not thinking its that...havnt gotten a chance to check and retorque bolts but im thinking its that bearing...all signs point to that...thoughts?

I have 68k miles . . . maybe we have hit the millage marker where the top hats just give up the ghost

RedSiBaron
04-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I have 68k miles . . . maybe we have hit the millage marker where the top hats just give up the ghost

yah, i wonder if thats what it is, im going to price them out from honda on wed when i order some other little crap, if they arent too much ill get them, if they are ill get them from napa and we'll see if they fix it...

PogoFX
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
My car's in the shop right now. I drove it with a technician and he heard the noise loud an clear. He said, "that should be pretty easy to find." I said, "it's been six years of guys trying to find this noise, I sure hope you're right." I was just happy that my car decided to do it with the tech in the car. I'll let everyone know today what he finds.

RedSiBaron
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
My car's in the shop right now. I drove it with a technician and he heard the noise loud an clear. He said, "that should be pretty easy to find." I said, "it's been six years of guys trying to find this noise, I sure hope you're right." I was just happy that my car decided to do it with the tech in the car. I'll let everyone know today what he finds.

well see if he actually finds it, those bearings wouldnt look worn on top of the shocks, plus you have to wonder if hes going to actually take the perch off your springs to even find that...so my guess is that i doubt he'll find the popping noise without this kinda direction...hell either say he couldnt find it or he did and it will come back...thats just me being negative

PogoFX
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
well see if he actually finds it, those bearings wouldnt look worn on top of the shocks, plus you have to wonder if hes going to actually take the perch off your springs to even find that...

Like I said earlier in this post, my original dealer replaced both struts to no avail. I mentioned this to the tech and I also asked about that top bearing. He said that the bearing would have been replaced with the struts - that it comes packaged together. I have no way of knowing if this is true . . . any guesses?

RedSiBaron
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Like I said earlier in this post, my original dealer replaced both struts to no avail. I mentioned this to the tech and I also asked about that top bearing. He said that the bearing would have been replaced with the struts - that it comes packaged together. I have no way of knowing if this is true . . . any guesses?

it doesnt come packaged with the struts, it also doesnt come with the perch...honda would have just done struts im thinking...or atleat im going off of the fact that the honda parts listing doesnt list any of them grouped together on the front suspension...

slate13530
04-23-2008, 06:48 AM

Tell your technician to either replace the top hats if they will under warranty or just grease up the beargins.

I've had this clunking noise since I installed my coilover's and from reading before this site went down. It's due to the tops hats not being greased up. Try regreasing them suckers and make sure the springs are aligned properly.

Hopefully that should help.

I'm re-doing my suspension this weekend hopefully so while I"m at it I'm going to grease up my top hats. I'll post up my results once I get them.

RedSiBaron
04-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Tell your technician to either replace the top hats if they will under warranty or just grease up the beargins.

I've had this clunking noise since I installed my coilover's and from reading before this site went down. It's due to the tops hats not being greased up. Try regreasing them suckers and make sure the springs are aligned properly.

Hopefully that should help.

I'm re-doing my suspension this weekend hopefully so while I"m at it I'm going to grease up my top hats. I'll post up my results once I get them.

im going to call you out on this one, mine were totally greased up 10k ago and im clunking...i dont think its grease i think its the top hat getting old and freezing up, when i did the suspension at around 50k the passenger side one was pretty much gunked up and not moving, so i got it freed up and spinning again and regreased...it prolly only bought me 15k and i bet if i pull it out it will be stuck frozen but still have grease...my vote is the compression on them wears them out...

PogoFX
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Well the stealership still has my car, they kept it overnight. I guess it wasn't as easy as the tech said it was going to be - big surprise. :frusty: I'll keep you posted.

RedSiBaron
04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Well the stealership still has my car, they kept it overnight. I guess it wasn't as easy as the tech said it was going to be - big surprise. :frusty: I'll keep you posted.

did you mention the tophat bearings to him?

PogoFX
04-23-2008, 09:48 AM
did you mention the tophat bearings to him?

Yes, I did. Like I said, he seemed to think that it would have been replaced when my struts were replaced. I doubt it. Like so many techs I've talked to, he already had in his head what the possible problems were and didn't really want to hear my opinions. I mean, what the hell could I possibly know about my car? He started talking about brake pads and other crap. I'm not overly confident that they will solve the problem. I'm fully expecting that they will blame this on my Eibach's even though the problem was there long before I had the springs installed.

SyckSiR
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
my coils slunked for a while, i was too stupid to tighten the nuts at the top :director: kev ur a moron!

slate13530
04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
im going to call you out on this one, mine were totally greased up 10k ago and im clunking...i dont think its grease i think its the top hat getting old and freezing up, when i did the suspension at around 50k the passenger side one was pretty much gunked up and not moving, so i got it freed up and spinning again and regreased...it prolly only bought me 15k and i bet if i pull it out it will be stuck frozen but still have grease...my vote is the compression on them wears them out...

My car just hit 40k and I only had this problem since I installed the aftermarket stuff.

I'll keep you posted though.

PogoFX
04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, I just got my car back from the dealer and big surprise . . . no fix. I talked with the tech for a while. He tightened everything, did a couple of service bulletins, pulled the strut and inspected everything. The top bearing was in good condition. He worked on the car for several hours and spent a bunch of time on the phone with Honda. He was cool about not blaming it on my aftermarket springs, since I had the problem long before they were installed. He did recommend that I should consider changing my struts out to match the springs a little better and that maybe I'll get lucky and that will take care of it. I guess one cool thing was that they didn't charge me for anything. My car is an '02 and out of warranty.

I can't believe that no one can figure this out. I'm so tired of this noise! I'd get rid of my car if I didn't love it so much.

RedSiBaron
04-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, I just got my car back from the dealer and big surprise . . . no fix. I talked with the tech for a while. He tightened everything, did a couple of service bulletins, pulled the strut and inspected everything. The top bearing was in good condition. He worked on the car for several hours and spent a bunch of time on the phone with Honda. He was cool about not blaming it on my aftermarket springs, since I had the problem long before they were installed. He did recommend that I should consider changing my struts out to match the springs a little better and that maybe I'll get lucky and that will take care of it. I guess one cool thing was that they didn't charge me for anything. My car is an '02 and out of warranty.

I can't believe that no one can figure this out. I'm so tired of this noise! I'd get rid of my car if I didn't love it so much.

hmmm interesting...only logic would be that if it is the top hat, then it wont show the wear condition, but maybe your clunk is a different clunk...maybe its in the rack!? this is possibly an advanced wear condition as i was thinking in my other thread?? i have an 02 also...

thaseint
04-23-2008, 02:18 PM
hmmm interesting...only logic would be that if it is the top hat, then it wont show the wear condition, but maybe your clunk is a different clunk...maybe its in the rack!? this is possibly an advanced wear condition as i was thinking in my other thread?? i have an 02 also...

That was my next thought. Perhaps the guide in the rack is badly worn to the point that it’s causing the clunk?

There was an awesome post about rebuilding the EP rack before the crash that showed pictures of a worn guide that was causing some creaking and it was pretty bad. Perhaps during turns and over bumps the arms are twisting which causes the guide to 'shift and rebound', thus the clunk sound is heard when this guide becomes so badly worn. When you look at how the arms are mounted to the strut body I could see how the arms themselves would actually twist (of course the twist being limited by the tie rods and the guide).

You can test this out yourself buy grabbing the steering arm and twisting with your hands, you will likely notice a little bit of play in the arm. It should be VERY little; but would of course be magnified when going over bumps or turning due to the weight transfer of the car. The arms do in fact twist a little even by hand...I'd say less than a millimeter. So the tie rods and guide end up baring most of the abuse. Even when turning while stationary the angle of the steering arms does increase. Have someone turn the wheels while the car is on the ground and look at the arms.

So increase arm angle + twisting due to weight transfer = clunk?

Factor in the that the EP has the EPS system...no continous, clean lubrication=bad news for the rack. This would likely explain why the noisy steering issues are less likely to be seen on the DC5.

Thoughts?

PogoFX
04-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Who knows? I really don't feel like it's in the rack. Personally, I have no issues or noises when turning. I know that some experience the clunking when turning also, not me. Mine seems absolutely associated with wheel travel up/down on the passenger side only. Sometimes it kinda chatters, but deep. Sometimes it's just one or two clunks.

ep3moschini
04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I have yes to check out my top hats, working 12hrs a day at work leaves me beat at the end of the day and no interested in working even longer. . . :mfrown: im afraid its the steering rack, im actually going outside right now to check for play in them

ep3moschini
04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
yeah so I checked it I don't see any issue with my tie rods. . . they twist, but thats because the tie rod end allows it too, but there is no sided to side or back and forth action going on there actually surprisingly stiff. . . :mcry: I really think its the top hats that are causing the issue

slate13530
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
yeah so I checked it I don't see any issue with my tie rods. . . they twist, but thats because the tie rod end allows it too, but there is no sided to side or back and forth action going on there actually surprisingly stiff. . . :mcry: I really think its the top hats that are causing the issue

Yup it's more than likely the tops hats.

ep3moschini
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Yup it's more than likely the tops hats.

so is it going to be dangerous to drive or just annoying?

ep3moschini
04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
mahhhhhh! this is driving me nuts

GeNoZiDe
04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
i've had this problem since 2002... i started with koni's and now i have buddy club n+ ... this annoyin sound that always happens when i turn or go over bumps.... i've checked it out so many times and have had my suspension rechecked and rechecked.... could never find the cause. Oh well i ve learned to live with it LOL

ep3moschini
04-24-2008, 03:00 AM
i've had this problem since 2002... i started with koni's and now i have buddy club n+ ... this annoyin sound that always happens when i turn or go over bumps.... i've checked it out so many times and have had my suspension rechecked and rechecked.... could never find the cause. Oh well i ve learned to live with it LOL

yours might be the steering rack. . . mine however is not, my car is an 05' with 67k miles I should not be having rack issues at this time, but a fucked top hat sounds like its my issue. . .

slate13530
04-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Yup steering creek is different from the clunking noise.

I've heard it before, but my clunking is coming from the spring.

PogoFX
04-24-2008, 06:52 AM
You know, I actually think my clunking is louder now that the dealer retightened and rechecked everything. I know that it's just my imagination. I'm just hyper-sensitive about it now. I've always thought that I'd be able to get rid of it someday, but that's looks unlikely now.

RedSiBaron
04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
too many posts to quote, so im just going to poop out a response :grouphug:

i too have koni shocks, 15k on them and i now have a clunk...im thinking the stiffer ride may have made the difference, who knows...if it were possible, which it isnt, it might be nice to cross referance the clunk noise with people on stock shocks and springs, stock shocks, lowered on springs, with coilovers...etc...but too many factors there that could cause it, or its just a normal wear issue...

as for the steering rack, i was musing more than anything, it would be constant if it were in the rack, because that kind of noise would require a lot of play up and down...and of course the noise isnt really while turning, its while under load...but i should mention that the night my clunk started i had been driving a bit, and the car was definitely up to temperature in all the systems (suspension, drivetrain, brakes) and when i parked it, i was able to get a clunk by turning the wheel while parked...but ive since been unable to replicate that, even after running it hot back from AC last sunday...

as for you mr. ep3moschini

im with you on this one, i havnt had any time, shit i need to get my heat shield off my header and start blastering the ex. mani. bolts and havnt had time...im thinking its my tophats too, just going off of the wear on the passenger side one that i remember when i did the suspension...

only issue is the clunk has not come back yet since sunday morning, so im still without referance to remove the noise...ill just roll on it for now i guess until i have time to change out the top hats...

Drew1d
04-24-2008, 07:47 AM
A brief history of noises from my EP.

Low clunking from front, driving slow or over bumps.
-Blown front strut, replaced and it went away.

Rattle from rear, any time moving fast or slow.
- Endlink to sway nut loose, tightened went away.

"Hinged-door" creak from rear. Just over bumps.
- lubed upper arm with silicon spray, went away.

Creak, pop pop pop. from front while turning the wheel,
- Re-greased bearings in strut, changed struts out also, so conceivably it could have been mis-aligned tophat.

Low rumble from rear, only noticed while moving slow with uneven pavement.
- It's something about the assembly of the rear. If I turn the tokico's to "0" it goes away, but I'd rather have a low rumble and a comfortable ride. It could just be the struts themselves I suppose. If I put on the rear bulkheads it cuts the noise in half.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2008, 06:14 AM
still no return of the clunk noise...what the hell is going on!

dogula
04-25-2008, 06:38 AM
I have 96k on my 02 and it clunks in every situation except smooth pavement at freeway speed. Even going straight the damn car clunks! This has been going on for about a year and half. My car is completely stock. Oddly enough I have had 0 issues with the rack. I believe my struts are blown. It feels more like I am driving a ski boat now. My wifes 01 LX handles better than my car. I guess it is time to overhaul the suspension this summer.

chuck83
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Low rumble from rear, only noticed while moving slow with uneven pavement.
- It's something about the assembly of the rear. If I turn the tokico's to "0" it goes away, but I'd rather have a low rumble and a comfortable ride. It could just be the struts themselves I suppose. If I put on the rear bulkheads it cuts the noise in half.

i have this one too.. i think someone said its from the upper camber arms

ep3moschini
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
im ripping my front suspention out after work . . . im going to try to grease that "top-mount?" you know. . . the fucking thing with the ball-berrings in it. . . lol the im going to look for any wear or scrape marks or any sign or rubbing/smashing/chaffing

RedSiBaron
04-25-2008, 02:02 PM
im ripping my front suspention out after work . . . im going to try to grease that "top-mount?" you know. . . the fucking thing with the ball-berrings in it. . . lol the im going to look for any wear or scrape marks or any sign or rubbing/smashing/chaffing

im tellin ya man, 20 bucks each from honda, i would replace them...

ep3moschini
04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
im tellin ya man, 20 bucks each from honda, i would replace them...

I replaced my strut mount, and I still have a popping noise, got pissed off jacked the car back up and low and behold, its a bad ball joint. the snap ring is missing, and I cant even replace the snap ring because its rounded over where the ring sits. I am really pissed now like fucking pissed because no one has them around here, well one place dose and its a 3-4 day wait :mmad::mmad::mmad:

ep3moschini
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
fail. . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_5627.jpg

ep3moschini
04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_5618.jpg

slate13530
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
hBroken strut mount bolt FTL

RedSiBaron
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
FUCK!!! that sucks sooo much man...shit i bet thats what my clunk is, the hole for my lower balljoint was deformed and it wasnt tight on the balljoint, so i had my moog ones pressed in and the snap rings...i bet that damn thing is movin...im actually wondering if that didnt move up and hurt my axle boot...ill have to look into that closer...damn

slate13530
04-28-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm know my clunking noise is only occurring when I turn and it's the spring that's moving for whatever reason. probably due to the top hats not being greased up.

Drew1d
04-28-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm know my clunking noise is only occurring when I turn and it's the spring that's moving for whatever reason. probably due to the top hats not being greased up.

Spring binding. Mine started again after a year. Creak....pop....pop....pop.
It happened 10 times worse and faster with the stiffer springs in the front.(10kg) I used a multi-purpose suspension grease. (Main ingredient Lithium) but I'm starting to think the plastic on plastic bearing should be greased with something like Silicon lubricant. (Designed more for plastics)

PogoFX
04-28-2008, 07:38 AM
fail. . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_5627.jpg

I believe this is what we're looking at right?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/pogofx/Susp.jpg

You are obviously missing the rubber boot and it doen't look good. My rubber boot is in good condition and isn't malformed. I suppose I could still have some damage under it, since I can't find anything else responsible for my noises. Not sure it it's worth taking off since everything looks okay. I guess you need a special tool (according to the shop manual) to remove the ball joint?

ep3moschini
04-28-2008, 08:16 AM
that hurts. . . I couldent buy a ball joint so I had to order a complete knuckle from honda :mrolleyes: 171.92 my cost with a new endlink (had to cut it because the allen head rounded out :mmad: and I just cut it off)

mustclime
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Your suspension looks hammered.........:mangel:

ep3moschini
04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Your suspension looks hammered.........:mangel:

:mrolleyes: mr. jokes are you? fucking noob who helped me do my clutch decided that was a good idea to pop the ball joint :mrolleyes: he is the reason why the snap ring peaced out and the reason why im getting a new knuckle. . . but its bad buisness to yell at someone who let you use there shop and lift and tools for free to do a clutch job

mustclime
04-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Not a tool for suspension........

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/xbox360game/items/sledgehammer.jpg

Drew1d
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
:mrolleyes: mr. jokes are you? fucking noob who helped me do my clutch decided that was a good idea to pop the ball joint :mrolleyes: he is the reason why the snap ring peaced out and the reason why im getting a new knuckle. . . but its bad buisness to yell at someone who let you use there shop and lift and tools for free to do a clutch job

With all the work and downtime the kid gave you, I'm not sure if he did you any favors. Also, That lower arm has looked better, I'm sure. :mfrown:

Please tell me he moved the spindle before he started "lightly tapping."

ep3moschini
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
:mfrown:

PogoFX
04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Well for anyone interested, I isolated the location of my popping noise. I mounted my little SD video camera on different parts of my car and drove it over bumps where I always get the clunking sound.

I first mounted it on my lower control arm pointed at the wheel. Drove over the bumps, heard the noise while driving, but it wasn't audible on the video. So I ruled out some thing in the suspension close to the wheel.

Next I mounted it under the hood right below the wipers, pointed toward the top hat of the offending side. This time the sound was audible on the video, but not really loud. I knew I was close then.

Finally I moved the camera right next to the top hat on top of the strut. Bingo, you can hear the sound loud an clear. My problem is obviously at the top of the strut. I going to have it pulled and replace everything in that area.

Here's the video. You are looking at the bolt that comes up through the center of the top hat.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/pogofx/th_MOV0012_NEW.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/pogofx/?action=view&current=MOV0012_NEW.flv)

ep3moschini
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
so about $200.00 beans later my car is still apart, but its going back together today after work. new knuckle, new ball joint, new brake heat shild and hardware, new tie rod end, new axle, and a new strut mount, Im not a betting man, but Id put money on it that my clunk noise will be no more.

RedSiBaron
04-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Well for anyone interested, I isolated the location of my popping noise. I mounted my little SD video camera on different parts of my car and drove it over bumps where I always get the clunking sound.

I first mounted it on my lower control arm pointed at the wheel. Drove over the bumps, heard the noise while driving, but it wasn't audible on the video. So I ruled out some thing in the suspension close to the wheel.

Next I mounted it under the hood right below the wipers, pointed toward the top hat of the offending side. This time the sound was audible on the video, but not really loud. I knew I was close then.

Finally I moved the camera right next to the top hat on top of the strut. Bingo, you can hear the sound loud an clear. My problem is obviously at the top of the strut. I going to have it pulled and replace everything in that area.

wow thats sweet!!...good thinking!! glad you found that was your issue

so about $200.00 beans later my car is still apart, but its going back together today after work. new knuckle, new ball joint, new brake heat shild and hardware, new tie rod end, new axle, and a new strut mount, Im not a betting man, but Id put money on it that my clunk noise will be no more.

AWESOME MAN!!! looks like you are just like me, while you were in there you replaced EVERYTHING, i do approve sir...

you really got me thinking that the source of my issues really could have been cuz of that balljoint moving and hitting my axle and such...im going to have to see if the balljoint grease "nipple" is damaged or loose or bent, that would of happened if my lower balljoint was moving up and down, cuz if it was, the nipple would have hit the axle between the abs notches and hte axle boot...we shall see i guess...

but as of right now my popping noise has not come back...

ep3moschini
05-01-2008, 03:05 AM
my car is all back together and its still making noises. . . this time its coming from the steering rack area and only during turning. . . im getting super upset, and extremely down because of all of this bull shit.

mustclime
05-01-2008, 06:31 AM
I pulled both of the front struts out of my car last night to change the springs. I found one of the tie rods had some play in it and I thought I may killed the "cup and ball" joint between the tierod and the rack. It turned out to be just loose...after I pulled the boot and tighened it I repacked the rack while I was at it.....feels better now.

RedSiBaron
05-01-2008, 06:37 AM
my car is all back together and its still making noises. . . this time its coming from the steering rack area and only during turning. . . im getting super upset, and extremely down because of all of this bull shit.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is making me want to punch children...

any way you can do a cockpit recording?

ep3moschini
05-01-2008, 06:47 AM
I pulled both of the front struts out of my car last night to change the springs. I found one of the tie rods had some play in it and I thought I may killed the "cup and ball" joint between the tierod and the rack. It turned out to be just loose...after I pulled the boot and tighened it I repacked the rack while I was at it.....feels better now.

my tie rod boot ripped :mcry: I need to pull the drivers side front strut out after work. . . Im have a suspition that the spring istn sitting properly on the top mount. . . I want to sat I need to clock it and the sound will be gonzo. . . we will see :doh:

Slip_Angle
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone find out what is causing this clunk? My car is doing it again.. It did it a little while back and the strut hat nut was loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. That's the second time in a few years this has happened.

I'm wondering if the torque applied to the strut hat nut needs to be just right or else the clunking will rear it's head. I'm going to re-torque them and see what happens.

RedSiBaron
09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Anyone find out what is causing this clunk? My car is doing it again.. It did it a little while back and the strut hat nut was loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. That's the second time in a few years this has happened.

I'm wondering if the torque applied to the strut hat nut needs to be just right or else the clunking will rear it's head. I'm going to re-torque them and see what happens.

have you done the top hat bushing yet? have you checked it? yours might be getting more and more compressed because its just plastic if i remember correctly, so you could just be taking up the tolerance by tightening it down...maybe look into that...im going to be doing my top hat bushings this week when i do my new springs...ill post up when i do

Slip_Angle
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
have you done the top hat bushing yet? have you checked it? yours might be getting more and more compressed because its just plastic if i remember correctly, so you could just be taking up the tolerance by tightening it down...maybe look into that...im going to be doing my top hat bushings this week when i do my new springs...ill post up when i do

I did it two days ago. The clunk is more muted now and seems less frequent but it's still there sometimes. I removed my front sway bar and checked everything out because the clunk started after I changed the bushings. I put it all back together and I'll see how is feels/sounds tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

BTW: I noticed my spindle nut on both wheels is flush with the end of the bolt, which I believe means they are definitely not tight enough. The manual says the spindle nut should be torqued to 134ft/lbs. They were only removed since my k24 was put in so it's been like that for 1.5 years.. yikes. I routinely hear a sorta gear noise from the front much like the sound the tranny makes when backing up. I wonder if this is the cause...

Slip_Angle
09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I re-adjusted the front sway bushings and the clunking is pretty much gone... It sure sounded like something struts would do but I guess it was the sway bar, which makes sense since it started when I originally changed the bushings.

hotwired_78
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
So I ordered KYB SM5403 for the front. Strut Mount Kit, with the bearing. The bearing is plastic, thin, and flimsy. I called KYB, and they said the correct part should be SM5402... Every website has our car listed as SM5403. Can anyone chime in on this?

RedSiBaron
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
prolly the em2 part

hotwired_78
04-15-2010, 01:11 PM
okay. I get it. Thanks. problem solved =]

codyep3
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
just read the whole thread. I have a new noise, sounds like a squeaking. I just replaced the Outer Tie rods, retorqued and everything. Can't figurei t out

Silvercard
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I was having the same like small popping noises but end up being the loose front sway bar links being loose. I tighten them and the noise disappeared.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-02-2010, 04:51 PM
I had the clunking noise as well. I removed my Neuspeed front sway bar and installed the OEM front sway bar, and with the OEM front sway bar i get the clunking noise like it is coming from the floorboards. With the Neuspeed front sway bar i had no clunking noise at all. So i went under the car rechecked the endlinks and lubed up the bushing on the OEM front sway put everything back together and still have the clunking noise. I then decided to just remove the OEm front sway bar all together and my clunking noise is now gone. I am not sure why it would make the clunking noise with the OEM front sway and not the Neuspeed one. The bends of the 2 sway bars are very similar expect for the middle of the sway. The OEM one has a bend where the Neuspeed one doesn't. See pic of the OEm compared to the Neuspeed. I also noticed the Neuspeed one has stoppers for the bushings so they will always be in the same place the OEM just has 2 little blue marks.
OEM bar on the left Neuspeed on right
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/580/photo3lm.jpg (http://img249.imageshack.us/i/photo3lm.jpg/)
OEM bar black bushing Neuspeed red bushings
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6189/photo5vi.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/photo5vi.jpg/)
Again OEM black bushing Neuspeed red bushings
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4589/photo7hat.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/photo7hat.jpg/)

ZoomBoy
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
So have we come to the conclusion that it's probably the front sway?? Are the end links toast or something? Ever since I lowered my car within the past few weeks this has begun clunking and popping when I turn, seems to be on the front right wheel. If my OEM end links are toast I have no problem replacing them with better aftermarket ones - but I had never heard this noise for 50,000 km's when I was on stock suspension/rims, etc. Now I have my car lowered on coils for approx 5,000 km's I've started to hear this maybe within the past 200 kms.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
06-18-2010, 09:23 AM
So have we come to the conclusion that it's probably the front sway?? Are the end links toast or something? Ever since I lowered my car within the past few weeks this has begun clunking and popping when I turn, seems to be on the front right wheel. If my OEM end links are toast I have no problem replacing them with better aftermarket ones - but I had never heard this noise for 50,000 km's when I was on stock suspension/rims, etc. Now I have my car lowered on coils for approx 5,000 km's I've started to hear this maybe within the past 200 kms.

Well i read the whole thread after finding out my problem was with my front sway. A lot of other people think it is the top hats or something with the suspension. In my case i knew it was the front sway because i started hearing the poping clunking noise after i took off the neuspeed sway and put back on the stock oem sway. Both times with the neuspeed and oem sway i was using the oem endlinks. I was running the neuspeed sway with oem end links for about 15k miles with no clunking. I then switched to the oem sway and the clunking noise started to happen. So i dont know if there is something wrong with my oem sway or if i am not positioning it properly.

2k3hatchie
06-18-2010, 04:16 PM

I'm getting the same noise I think. It happened just after I lowered my car, though I bought completely new struts and springs which came with new top hats. I might try the end link option, though last time I had the car on a drive-on they were tight. Going to try the subframe bolts as well.