PDA

View Full Version : '96 ex question

Eric55inSacCA
11-05-2002, 10:54 PM
well my new "import learning" project , 1996 ex, jus gave me a nice CEL. code came up as a i believe "crankshaft positioning sensor 2" which i believe is in the distributor....anyone have any experience with this? and what might have to be done if anything?? damn i miss freakin carb's and shit lol.. its all news to me

02SilverSiHB
11-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Eric55inSacCA
well my new "import learning" project , 1996 ex, jus gave me a nice CEL. code came up as a i believe "crankshaft positioning sensor 2" which i believe is in the distributor....anyone have any experience with this? and what might have to be done if anything?? damn i miss freakin carb's and shit lol.. its all news to me
I've got that once before. You may need new spark plug wires and spark plugs. If you don't know when the last time the car had them, get them. If it still does it, I don't know what to tell you

Eric55inSacCA
11-06-2002, 11:40 AM
jus curious... how would changing those out help? im askin from a wanting to learn stand point not tryin to be an ass....gotta make that clear wit people sometimes on here:D

02SilverSiHB
11-06-2002, 01:29 PM
jus curious... how would changing those out help? im askin from a wanting to learn stand point not tryin to be an ass....gotta make that clear wit people sometimes on here:D
well seeing how your car isn't too old, I doubt it's the distributer. I had the same problem with my 97 EX and it ended up being the spark plug wires. So I changed out all my wires and plugs and reset the ecu. No light after that. I think that when a spark plug is going out, that it may send that signal to the ecu, because it has entirely went out, so the ecu thinks it's something else.

Eric55inSacCA
11-06-2002, 01:31 PM
coo' i see... yeah it has 99k on it...i had figured if it were a bad spark plug i might notice some difference in how it runs...but i can see what u mean.. like i said im all bout learning here

02SilverSiHB
11-06-2002, 01:47 PM
coo' i see... yeah it has 99k on it...i had figured if it were a bad spark plug i might notice some difference in how it runs...but i can see what u mean.. like i said im all bout learning here
yeah, at first when I got my code thrown for that, I really didn't notice anything in performance. But then after a while it started getting worse. Hopefully that's all that wrong with yours, I'm not to sure what else the problem could be.

Eric55inSacCA
11-06-2002, 01:48 PM
coo' man thanks for the help...i am thinkin of takin it in to at least see what it is and then doin it myself.. jus dont wanna go round spendin money on shit i dont need to ya know:D

Eric55inSacCA
11-06-2002, 02:34 PM
just for referrence, i checked the service records of the buyer and she had new plugs and wires put on at 90k in april

02SilverSiHB
11-06-2002, 02:38 PM
just for referrence, i checked the service records of the buyer and she had new plugs and wires put on at 90k in april
damn! take it in man. I'm not sure what it is. Hopefully now it's just the distributer. Also, do you have a service manual, I had one before,but I got rid of it, too bad I did, I'd be able to help more

Eric55inSacCA
11-08-2002, 06:43 PM
tookit to my buddies shop.. turns out it was a wire that was supposed to be attatched to the timing belt cover , and im assuming that either the mechanics who did the 90k service forgot to attatch it or it came off, but either way it was rubbing against the belt and had worn some... electrical tape and i was on my way.so it was a big nothin!! thanks for your assistance!:D

02SilverSiHB
11-08-2002, 09:44 PM
tookit to my buddies shop.. turns out it was a wire that was supposed to be attatched to the timing belt cover , and im assuming that either the mechanics who did the 90k service forgot to attatch it or it came off, but either way it was rubbing against the belt and had worn some... electrical tape and i was on my way.so it was a big nothin!! thanks for your assistance!:D
oh my gosh! I had that happen to me. It runs down the side of the engine towards the bottom, right. I had almost mentioned that, but I didn't think that was it, since my car threw a malfunctioning fluctuation sensor code.
Damn, so glad it was something easy :D

Eric55inSacCA
11-08-2002, 11:40 PM
haha yup thats the one... well thanks again for your input!! ill be sure to remember , and if i ahve anything else bout these 6th gens ill check back wit u...and i never forget a favor :D